Mystery Pottery Item

Newt

I saw this in the shop of a man who makes handthrown pottery pieces and who does mostly very functional items such as mugs, plates, cooking pots, bird houses, etc. I had absolutely no idea what it might be used for although after he explained, it did make sense.

His mother was a potter in England who moved to the US when she was a young woman and many of the items Richard (now in his 70s) makes are based on designs he learned from her so this may be commonplace for you folks but I'm guessing not.

Any ideas what it might be? note that some will have an attached handle on the body away from the spout side although this particular one does not

unknown_thing.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a jug is surely too obvious, I'm thinking the shape may have a specific purpose, like separating two different liquids maybe.

Gravy boat/jug?

No idea but a very skillful potter :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Looks like it is meant to contain something that needs to adjust to the ambient temperature quickly.

Is it for red wine?

If the material was porous then the design of the jug could have used the latent heat principle to cool the contents. I am sure that the design has to be something to do with the temperature of the contents.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Looks like it is meant to contain something that needs to adjust to the ambient temperature quickly.

Is it for red wine?

If the material was porous then the design of the jug could have used the latent heat principle to cool the contents. I am sure that the design has to be something to do with the temperature of the contents.

Red wine needs to have contact with the air as well as being at room temp, so i doubt its for that.

If it were porous it would also absorb the contents, anyway it looks glazed to me!

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Whiskey? How big is it? Can you get your arm through the circle?

Edited by Eddie

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Red wine needs to have contact with the air as well as being at room temp, so i doubt its for that.

once red wine has been opened it only 'needs' contact with air for a short time, 30 minutes max, other than a couple of specific french reds which benefit from much longer exposure to air