large pond in garden

cannibalspinners

hi , folks i have recently moved house & in the back garden is a large man made pond , holds about 400 gallons of water. my question to you all is where can i get some coarse fish for it , do you know any suppliers who supply the public , maybe rudd , roach or a nice shoal of perch. i am in southern scotland. any website links would be excellent thanks

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Not sure how you've done your calculations, but 400 gallons isn't really that much water - the equivalent of maybe a half dozen bathfulls is all.

If you really want fish in there, you'll likely need to take precautions against predators - including the local cats - as I can't imagine it will be very deep at all unless it has a very small surface area?

Your best source for fish is likely a local garden centre, assuming that they operate uip there thesame way they do slightly south of you? - I can walk into one of several and buy several varieties of carp, green or gold tench, raoch and sturgeon in much the same way that I can buy goldfish.

Occasionally, a commercial fish-farm MAY sell you a few fish direct - I've only been sucessful in the past when I'd had previous dealings with them in another capacity, but you then have the problem of getting the fish from them to wherever you are - they're not going to drive up with a tank for a handful of fish, so the likely alternative is fish and water sloshing about inside polythene bags within cardboard boxes via a courier licensed to carry live animals ... which can really whack up the price of a few tiddlers!

400 gallons was a very rough guess , it,s about 8 ft x 7 ft , its a straight drop from the side down to 30 inches , it is over 36 inches in the centre.

so i did not calculate anything as i would not know where to start , it seems a lot of water to me , i really wanted about 20 fish or so , i will try dobies garden centre , thanks for you feedback , phil.

is there a formula for measuring water quantity in a pond with several different measurements

Look in the back of the angling mags as there is normally some suppliers of course fish varying in price , there is a formula for finding out mass but with it changing depth I can't remember how it works fully

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

From what I can see online get an average depth of the pond so deepest and shallowest added together then divided by 2. So from your rough guesses I'd say 30+36 =66/2=33 inches converted to ft is 2.75 ft and length and with bing 8ft and 7ft so it's 2.75x8x7= 154cubic ft then multiply this by the equivalent of 1 cubic ft of water = 7.48 gallons so 154x7.48= 1,151.92 gallons or in litres it's 5236.732 litres hop this helps ?

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Its not illeagal to take roach or rudd from one water to put in your pond or aquaium i had roach and rudd for a little over 2 years in aquarium. Just make sure its not a private water. Try canals.

Ill try find the document that states you can take them and what you cant take. Grass carp was one you cant take.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks , Andy i will look forward to reading your document , when you post it.

Thank you all for the pond calculations , i would of NEVER of worked out the amount of gallons in it ( NEVER )

This is not the document I read before. no mention of roach or rudd being prohibited and not specifically with regards to garden ponds. im really struggling to find the one I read.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/ssi2003/20030560.htm

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Why put fish in a pond that you will never see?

If you want coarse fish, wait until may and net a bunch of "eyes" from the shallows of your local river.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.