Question for Phone re US carp

kirisute

Had this vid emailed to me of a new record fish on a pen rod....all fine and dandy til you view it a bit. Start about 8:00 mins in

By my experience a 23lb grass carp would be like a torpedo around that water! I've hooked up a 10lb grassy and they are like silver bullets around a lake! My 17.5 common on a pen rod fought like swimming rhino!

The fish in this vid seems very very docile, one or two notable runs but not taking anywhere near the amount of line I would expect....

So? Phone...is this usual for grass carp out there? Or am I seeing some clever editing or selective editing? Or just a really docile fish?

(I know the weighing leaves a lot to be desired, as does lack of net etc)

Edited by kirisute

Probably the fish has been "played" for so long it is totally exhausted....inadequate tackle. A bit like those guys who use light tackle to play Barbel and then have to nurse the fish before release as it is totally exhausted.

Den

• Like 1

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just spoken to "the boss" of penfishingrods and he confirms the lad fishing had not captured half the fight on film because he didn't think the fish was as big as it was.

Shame because it does make the film seem a bit faked.

Kiri,

That is a "golf course" fish. They suffer from chemical wear badly. They have one pretty good run in them (15 - 20 yards) and then the battle is over.

WORLD RECORD ??

This fish is not a world record at 79 lbs

record-grass-carp.jpg

Phone

Phone

Do you know of any Carp in Cross Lake or in Louisiana in General or is it just Bass and Catfish territory?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Phone

Do you know of any Carp in Cross Lake or in Louisiana in General or is it just Bass and Catfish territory?

They will have Bighead Carp, and those flying carp but not sure about common carp.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Kiri,

That is a "golf course" fish. They suffer from chemical wear badly. They have one pretty good run in them (15 - 20 yards) and then the battle is over.

WORLD RECORD ??

This fish is not a world record at 79 lbs

record-grass-carp.jpg

Phone

Record on a pen rod mate, as far as we know.

Chemical wear? As in chemicals in the water?

Edited by kirisute

They will have Bighead Carp, and those flying carp but not sure about common carp.

With the exception of the southern half of the Florida peninsula (for reasons no one seems to understand), you can find common carp in all US States so that's a "yes" to Louisiana and almost certainly a "yes" to Cross Lake.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

With the exception of the southern half of the Florida peninsula (for reasons no one seems to understand), you can find common carp in all US States so that's a "yes" to Louisiana and almost certainly a "yes" to Cross Lake.

Does that include Alaska and Hawaii Newt?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

I have caught a "carp" in all 50 states. Hawaii I caught a Koi from a garden pond as there are no wild commons that I found. In Alaska I caught a goldfish from gold creek. I will swear it was a gold colored carp - but I know it wasn't.

Kiri,

Yes golf course fish are handicapped in every way possible - weed killers, bug killers, fertilizers, fungicides -- on and on.

Tony,

Yes to carp (commons) in Cross Lake. In the NE corner is the ("baliffs") office. They will be very helpful. Cross is great for family outing but not my favorite Shereport fishing spot. (Do you remember the thread you started on this? I'll expand if you want to bump it up.)

Phone

• Like 1