Bait Boats

johnhere

I expect this subject has been covered before, but I don’t think for a while.

Why are bait boats banned on some waters and not on others?

This year I purchased a pro-cat and it has without doubt increased my catch. It is very quiet so does not disturb others. I am able to fish easy under trees and bushes where before I had to be very careful with my casting so as not to get tangled on them so better for the wild life. (These trees are covered in rigs and line) A couple of the swims make it impossible to cast further than 30 feet because or overhead trees (and not used) but now I can take my rigs out using the boat and fish these swims.

So why do some waters ban them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, the owners still want the carp to have some safe spots ??

Nope that can't be the reason as there are parts of the lake fishing is not allowed. In fact the owners have done this so the wild life and the fish have safe areas (from the public). But there again we are allowed boats!

But I know of 2 lakes where boats are banned where there are a lot of areas fishing is impossible or not allowed.

It's probably down to the same reason many other things are banned - inconsiderate idiots ruin it for the rest of us.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's probably down to the same reason many other things are banned - inconsiderate idiots ruin it for the rest of us.

That's the one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Another reason is fishing ethics. Many see fishing as casting a bait and catching a fish. Using a bait removes the requirement for anyone to be able to cast - in fact I've seen people try and cast who were rubbish at it because they'd always used baitboats.

I don't like bait boats and if I had a water they wouldn't be allowed. Not only for the above reason but you always get people trying to push the limits. So they'll fish other swims, place baits in unsafe areas (like the middle of snags) etc. I've been on the receiving end of bad baitboat behaviour a couple of times in France and in one case I had to politely ask the guy not to poach my swim - yep you guessed it, I was catching and he wasn't...

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

I've been on the receiving end of bad baitboat behaviour... yep you guessed it, I was catching and he wasn't...

Rob.

Can only echo the thoughts above. The majority of bait boat users I have come across see them as a tool to bend every rule in the book. If people used them correctly, with rules adhered to and in consideration of other peoples swims, then I have no real problem with them – but let’s face it, not many do.

I’ve just been roughing out rules for a new syndicate – and banning the use of bait boats was the first line I penned!

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to improve my catch rate by increasing my skill with rod and line!

Each to their own, I guess.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Another reason is fishing ethics. Many see fishing as casting a bait and catching a fish. Using a bait removes the requirement for anyone to be able to cast - in fact I've seen people try and cast who were rubbish at it because they'd always used baitboats.

I don't like bait boats and if I had a water they wouldn't be allowed. Not only for the above reason but you always get people trying to push the limits. So they'll fish other swims, place baits in unsafe areas (like the middle of snags) etc. I've been on the receiving end of bad baitboat behaviour a couple of times in France and in one case I had to politely ask the guy not to poach my swim - yep you guessed it, I was catching and he wasn't...

Rob.

I do find some of this very strange. Should we all go back to the past, before bait runner reels were invented and bait alarms not to mention the hair rig? No lets go further back before fixed spool reels were invented see how far you cast then! I understand your meaning but forgive me I think it is old fashioned thinking.

Fishing like life moves on. I really find it hard to believe guys would be happy to fish a swim knowing the chances of catching are remote because the fish are in an area you cannot cast to (for what ever reason). Go on tell me you have never thought if only I could get to that tree and cut them overhanging branches off.

I along with other guys on the lake I fish make sure we do not disturb other anglers when we use our boats. In fact many times I have lent my boat to them or offered to take there baits out, indeed because a guy with a boat lent me his boat was the reason I purchased one!

I have seen many guys casting to an area, or trying to, where the chances of not getting snagged up are 0 and they have never used a boat…….pushing there limits I think you would call it! (And I bet you have as well). In fact since using my boat I have had much fewer snags because I can place my bait where I want it and not in the weed\lily’s by a bad cast! (we all do them).

I can cast, in fact I consider myself not bad at it either since I have been fishing for over 40 years!

As I mentioned before, on our lake we have a number of swims that cannot be fished because of the trees. Us guys with boats can so we free up other swims for others to fish. Maybe some would say cut the trees down or remove the offending branches but that would spoil there beauty.

All very nice, John; but my experience of bait boats (and I've had plenty) is that for every well meaning angler who uses one like yourself, there are at least five numpties who use them to the detriment of others on a lake. As such, I would ban their use every time. End of.

Old fashioned? Perhaps, but I’m only 32. :P

As for casting ability, I’m quite happy with the distance I can punch a lead out and my accuracy is second to none when fishing to features, etc; clipping up – talk about a lost art! That said, most of my fish come from spots most anglers ignore because they are to busy casting (or boating) baits to the horizon. Too many anglers seem intent on fishing to the furthest point possible when the fish are often right under their feet – go figure. :blink:

As I say, each to their own.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!