Bait Boats

johnhere

Fishing like life moves on.

The beauty of fishing for me, John, is that my fishing life 'moves on' only at the pace I decide. When I'm fishing, I inhabit my own little world and I fill it with what gives me satisfaction. Catching carp with the aid of a bait boat would give me so little satisfaction that I wouldn't ever consider using one - at least on any water I've fished in the UK.

The difference between a bait boat and a better reel is fundamental. One improves the function of a vital angling component, the other completely does away with a core angling skill. These things are entirely subjective and personal, of course, as is angling itself, and provided the rules and spirit of our sport are upheld, what you include in your angling world is your own business.

For the record, the personal satisfaction I get from my angling is strongly connected to the merit of my captures. Bait boats replace the skill of the cast and therefore reduce the merit. This can't be argued against. Casting requires more skill than dropping your rig with a boat - fact.

I guess we all have our levels and standards, and what a complicated mix they can be. There's no room in my 'mix' for a bait boat, that's all.

All the best.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would defy any angler to fish my Mere effectively without using a bait boat. The fish aren`t exactly pressured but spend an inordinate amount of time tucked up in far bank reeds. Overhanging trees make a spod impossible to use and the largest pva bag I can get away with just doesn`t hold the necessary attraction.

Bait boats have been used ( not by myself) and have caught most of the big fish in the place this year.

Not really my cup of tea but when needs must................

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

Not really my cup of tea but when needs must................

When my 'need' to catch overtakes my personal standards, I hope I'll have the good grace to walk away from this glorious pastime for ever, Wolfie.

I could be very much wrong here, but isnt a "Junior" member young?

Has to do with post count. Junior = new guy.

As to some of the other comments about bait boats and casting, I can't totally agree.

I don't use a bait boat but I do use a motor boat to get me where I can fish places I otherwise could not and to allow shorter casting distances than otherwise. I also use the boat to put out bait when I first reach a swim and rely to some extent on my electronics.

Now I'm positive that I am not in the same league with many of you when it comes to long distance casting with accuracy. Also not in the same class when it comes to using PVA. So be it. I still have to use rigs and baits that the fish like and fish where they are to avoid blanking.

Fishing to me is all about fun and for me, the above is still fun after over 58 years of chasing finned prey. I would probably opt to use a baitboat if I fished where I needed one and I strongly suspect it would still be fun for me. I understand that use of a baitboat would remove the 'fun of fishing' for some of you and in that case, you should avoid them at all costs. But kindly don't hint to me that using gagets that I enjoy - with the proviso that they don't cause problems for others - makes my fishing any less real, fun, whatever. Don't you dare!!!

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

They are fun to use though, especially when you go chasing the swans round the lake........

Erm...call me old Mister Spoilsport, but you're not exactly helping the bait boat validation cause, Wolfster. :o

Erm...call me old Mister Spoilsport, but you're not exactly helping the bait boat validation cause, Wolfster. :o

I agree and this gives us guy who use bait boats a bad name. Anyone doing this on our lake will find they would receive the big boot from fishing the lake

But kindly don't hint to me that using gagets that I enjoy - with the proviso that they don't cause problems for others - makes my fishing any less real, fun, whatever. Don't you dare!!!

I refer my honourable Merkin friend to the comment I made some posts ago. :P

'These things are entirely subjective and personal, of course, as is angling itself, and provided the rules and spirit of our sport are upheld, what you include in your angling world is your own business. '

;)

I agree and this gives us guy who use bait boats a bad name. Anyone doing this on our lake will find they would receive the big boot from fishing the lake
Erm...call me old Mister Spoilsport, but you're not exactly helping the bait boat validation cause, Wolfster.

Really glad to see the humour bypass operations went well guys :rolleyes:

wolf.gif