Winter Carp Baits?

david t

Thankyou steve,

I will have to try that, the only problem i can see is having the confidence to sit with a whitebait on a rod for some time. I mean im sure that in the right situation thay do work, but as with alot of fishing that involves waiting, its tempting to use a bait thats been successful in the past, but i suppose if you never experimented you wouldnt really catch. i think i will try whitebait, cetainly for chub, but for carp i will try it in the warmer months when they are feeding well. i read your article you mentioned earlier, interesting.

Dave

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regard to essentail oils; they seem to have gone out of favour at the moment but are availbale from all of the big bait manufacturers: Nutrabaits, Nash Solar and the like, and they are available from your local health store from the aromatherapy dept.

They are initially expensive (£5+ for 10-20ml) but as you only use a few drops they last a long time.

A few drops in your base mix or in your particles of feed is more than sufficient.

Geranium for winter Roach is still a banker for me and I think would work on pepping up live or dead maggots for Carp.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Another bait that could be excellent is a US made one some of the sea anglers have used. I don't know about local sourcing although there are UK outlets based on what I read but take a look at http://www.fishbites.com/ and especially their cold water baits.

Don't be put off by the 'sea angling' part since I can tell you that the things work in fresh water and for carp.

Some Angler's Net fish-n-strip threads.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

With regard to essentail oils; they seem to have gone out of favour at the moment but are availbale from all of the big bait manufacturers: Nutrabaits, Nash Solar and the like, and they are available from your local health store from the aromatherapy dept.

They are initially expensive (£5+ for 10-20ml) but as you only use a few drops they last a long time.

A few drops in your base mix or in your particles of feed is more than sufficient.

Geranium for winter Roach is still a banker for me and I think would work on pepping up live or dead maggots for Carp.

Try the Braddocks range of additives, they are the best I have found.

I have been using pungent spice and mulberry plus for carp, both have worked.

Braddocks also do a range of essential oils.

braddocks baits

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I had a look at that site thanks newt, but i dont have great confidence in fake baits, i know they work, but i havent found a situation where i cant use a real bait instead.

Other wise as far as oils go, do you still think that essential oils wouldnt diffuse in cold water?

What i plan on doing is fishing maggot with black pepper oil, and a good helping of either robin red or chilli powder (i like spicy baits in cold weather), the robin red or chilli powder would disperse, and put a scent into the surrounding water, while the blackpepper oil would provide more of a taste to the maggots as opposed to a scent.

Well that is my theory anyway, probably wrong!

dave.

Try sugar coated crystallised root ginger. it will last for hours(at least14) in cold water.

Another is to use your favourite oily Summer bait, dipped halibut pellet for instance. Both these used as a single hookbait. The carp do not get to eat them after all. so no damge done.

As an attractant if you feel you need it, a small (Walnut) size bag of low oil carp pellets.

this method worked for me last Winter. Best of luck.

• 2 years later...

Probably a good time of year to resurrect this thread... :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hello,

apart from boilies, can anyone recommend some good cold water baits? Is robin red bait additive a useful inclusion to add to stick mixes etc, im talking about baits for lightly fished for canal carp.

the only reason i say apart from boilies is that i want to explore all other natural/particle baits first, i know boilies catch fish, but i dont want to become boilie blinkered.

Thanks, dave.

In the past i have had a lot of fish on maggots like tony u said, When the others silver fish are less active they can be a killer in winter, I always liked to use them on a medusa rig

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

• 11 months later...

Time for the annual ^BUMP^

We now have a lot of baits listed here, too:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Bait-f59.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE