First Match Tips!

geffaz

arfter a very poor year chasing a big bass to no avail arfter endless lonely and have to say boring nights

i finaly scored last night! not massive at 6.8 lb! on the old favorite mackeral head off shorham beach! its a start and well chuffed :D

had my other rod out for whiting and had loads between the 1,1/2 to 2lb braket on double paternoster lug tipped with mackeral, one of the traces i attached a beta light and had most on this trace (tip i got off the forum (cheers lads) the tubing that held the light above my hook arfter checking it out to day was pritty scratched up so not sure if its wear and tear or the whiting having a pop! just felt good to get a few knocks for a change and it not being a tax disc flatty

planning to fish my first match in a couple of weeks! the scoring system is anything over 20cm counts!

any tips to be a contender! anything i should know about etiquet (cant spell sorry)

Edited by geffaz

cheers bruv! probly gota wait another year now

:rolleyes:

Still reckon they'll be about for while - seas still warm. Havn't caught a decent bass for weeks myself now but I aim to keep sticking to it for as long as possible.

DON'T PANIC

Hi Gefaz,

I do quite abit match fishing, it can be really enjoyable. Most people you will meet at the match may be all nicey nicey, but are all out thier to win, so dont expect any real help from folk on the day regarding the venue. What match are you fishing? Once i know what species are about then i may be able to help further...

Basically, big fish tactics go out the window (unless its a specimen comp) Im going to prosume its a standard match, and im also going to prosume its a pegged on a beach. If it is, and its whiting teritory, you should get millions over 20cms. just fish small! What to do is tie up a few 3-hook flappers, with size 4 kamasan B940M match hooks. That will cover your short to medium range stuff. If it is a whiting fest and its close range you are basically looking to catch three at a time as fast as possible. All you need to do is practice re baiting and organising your traces as fast as you can. You may need to cover long range, so clipped rigs should be put away just incase. Be prepared with plenty bait.

Forget etiqete! As long as you are fishing within the rules than sod the rest! If someone is deliberatly casting onto your peg cos theres no fish on theres, dont hesitate to cast strieght over them with briad, and shout out a surcastic "woops" as thier line snaps :P Thats one thing about match fishing, apart from with your mates ofcoarse, with all the rest its every man for themselves.

I dont know for sure, but i very much doubt it will be scratching at this time of year. If it is, then it can all be down to the luck of your draw, as pegs can be important in such a case. If it fishes well, almost always the people who are (A best organised + prepared to the max and (B fastest, will always be right up there at the top.

The first will be hardest, but they become easier as you watch the rest of the guys.

Forgot to say, do everything to a time scale. If theres loads of fish then you cant obviously, but if not time yourself, perhaps re-cast every 12-15 mins or less if theres lots of crabs.

Tight Lines

Shaun

Hi Gefaz,

I dont know for sure, but i very much doubt it will be scratching at this time of year. If it is, then it can all be down to the luck of your draw, as pegs can be important in such a case. If it fishes well, almost always the people who are (A best organised + prepared to the max and (B fastest, will always be right up there at the top.

The first will be hardest, but they become easier as you watch the rest of the guys.

Forgot to say, do everything to a time scale. If theres loads of fish then you cant obviously, but if not time yourself, perhaps re-cast every 12-15 mins or less if theres lots of crabs.

great advice ther mate cheers! just a couple of things i need clearing up!

1, scratching?

2,flappers? is this a short paternoster?

arfter a very poor year chasing a big bass to no avail arfter endless lonely and have to say boring nights

i finaly scored last night! not massive at 6.8 lb! on the old favorite mackeral head off shorham beach! its a start and well chuffed :D

had my other rod out for whiting and had loads between the 1,1/2 to 2lb braket on double paternoster lug tipped with mackeral, one of the traces i attached a beta light and had most on this trace (tip i got off the forum (cheers lads) the tubing that held the light above my hook arfter checking it out to day was pritty scratched up so not sure if its wear and tear or the whiting having a pop! just felt good to get a few knocks for a change and it not being a tax disc flatty

planning to fish my first match in a couple of weeks! the scoring system is anything over 20cm counts!

any tips to be a contender! anything i should know about etiquet (cant spell sorry)

Tip1: Keep an eye on people around you, what they're catching, where and what on.

Tip2: Keep an eye out for cheats...it can and does happen in catch and release matches.

Tip3: Enjoy yourself!

Tip1: Keep an eye on people around you, what they're catching, where and what on.

Tip2: Keep an eye out for cheats...it can and does happen in catch and release matches.

Tip3: Enjoy yourself!

cheers mate ive done most types of angling over the years (spent the last 5 chasing carp so my rigs ar imaculate :P ) think ill have to do some research on rigs as im sure thay have moved on in the last few years, i still yous the same set up as way back then i:e weight snap swivel ,bait sheild going to 2 2ft paternosters, tho i have introduced flouro carbon as a hook length, bigger stuff a pulley rigged pennel going too a pair of 2,0 hooks!

the double paternoster being my plan of attack for the match (2 hook limit)

any ideas gents dont know if im stuck in the dark ages, and cant get advise as i generaly fish alone as all my fishing mates ar sat by the pond playing soldiers lol

A 1 up, 1 down 2 hook pats' with 2 hooks seems perfect, and is basically known as a flapper. Experiment with hook size and patterns, just make sure you have quite a few backups incase you find something thats really working!

Ide suggest a few with size 4's, and a few with 2's, or whatever your comfortable with.

Scraching refers to those really hard days when the fish just dont want to play, and you have to work your nut off to try and winkle out a few fish, by trying everything, not leaving an inch of your peg un-fished!

OH, was going to say..... Do you know what a loop rig is? Sometimes refered to as portsmouth loop rig. If its a clean ground venue, ide bet most of the anglers will have a few,to cover distance fishing. Basically it allows you to fish 1 down 1 up pats, same length as your flappers and as lengthy as you please, but clips down neatly for casting purposes, should the fish be at distance. Sounds like rocket science but it really isnt! PM me.

Good luck and enjoy

Shaun

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun

If it hasn't been mentioned already, have 2 sets of identical traces, two to fish with and 2 hanging from your tripod, bait up the spare set a few minutes before you retreive, unclip the old traces, on with the freshly baited, cast out and your fishing again in a matter of minutes.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time