Dodgy Logic

Sportsman

I woudn't disagree with that John, in many cases it's not at all necessary and has just become the norm. I would also agree that it is basically trapping.

The only reason I often leap to its defence is because many people seem to think that it's lazy and unnecessary in ALL cases, and I definitely don't agree with that. Also, in circumstances where I use those kind of methods, I don't see what's wrong with trapping. As I've said before, it often takes skill and effort to get right.

The majority of this type of fishing that I have done has been far more difficult and hard work than what many would consider 'better' styles of fishing, e.g. quivertipping for big chub, float fishing for big perch, etc. Those are actually very easy by comparison.

The original post was about targetting big fish in (inferred) low stock waters, not trying to catch loads of fish from overstocked waters.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Correct.

One of the sturgeon waters is around 30 acres and contains as far as I know, 5 sturgeon.

None of them are commercial style carp ponds which are pretty common around here although they all do contain large carp.

I would be happy to get one or two runs in a 24 hr session.

I find that I can't really sleep when I am fishing although I do get comfortable and rest, I am usually reading.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

now I confess to not going for a 24hr session for awhile now..it doesn't interest me at all....in the same way as using bite alarms and just twiddling my thumbs til I hear a beep.

I like to float fish or quiver tip....in virtually constant contact with my rod and line...

maybe that's just the fishing I do and the locations I fish.....

I went to look at a huge set of lakes the other day and to be quite honest they intimated me quite a bit...

for me fishing is the small quiet corners where fish might lurk in the snags and edges....that huge amount of water out there in front of me was featureless and scary as hell!! LOL!

so, maybe a lot of the new stuff just "isn't me" but then again I have a fair bit of self experience with fishermen who simply shouldn't be fishing with ANY technique and sadly the majority of those are of the "new" techniques type.

but maybe that's all part of the hobby...you get lured in with the shiny new bits and bobs and techniques then you grow more interested and learn other techniques and eventually settle into your own patterns of habit that make the best of all techniques.

now I confess to not going for a 24hr session for awhile now..it doesn't interest me at all....in the same way as using bite alarms and just twiddling my thumbs til I hear a beep.

that huge amount of water out there in front of me was featureless and scary as hell!! LOL!

This is kind of what I meant (badly edited and out of context but I hope Kiri doesn't mind!).

When I've done this kind of fishing there has barely been enough time in the day to get all the stuff done that needs doing. It is exhausting, certainly no time to sit around twiddling thumbs being bored out of your mind!

On the second point, I bet that expanse of water was anything but featureless - working that bit out, exploring the topography properly, finding features, baiting accurately, casting accurately, that's where most of the the hard work and the skill is. But granted, not everyone's idea of fun.

5 fish in 30 acres is going to be difficult but it's not impossible. If it was me, I'd spend as much time as I thought necessary mapping out the water and finding out what I could about their habits and behaviour before even thinking about fishing for them. A very interesting challenge!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's easy to denigrate styles one doesn't really understand. I've come across fly-fishers being sniffy about coarse angling while robotically casting and retrieving a cat's whisker, like they do every bloody session. I don't much like the concept of overstocked commercials, but it would be foolish to deny that the guys winning matches on them are skilled, just like the time and motion experts winning matches with bleak were skilled.

I think those anglers who successfully fish at distance on waters like Wingham are technically impressive. To find features in a complex topography, apply watercraft to choose a spot and then feed and fish it accurately, all at extreme range, is very impressive. Trapping it may be, but the skill is in the laying of the trap.

This is kind of what I meant (badly edited and out of context but I hope Kiri doesn't mind!).

When I've done this kind of fishing there has barely been enough time in the day to get all the stuff done that needs doing. It is exhausting, certainly no time to sit around twiddling thumbs being bored out of your mind!

On the second point, I bet that expanse of water was anything but featureless - working that bit out, exploring the topography properly, finding features, baiting accurately, casting accurately, that's where most of the the hard work and the skill is. But granted, not everyone's idea of fun.

5 fish in 30 acres is going to be difficult but it's not impossible. If it was me, I'd spend as much time as I thought necessary mapping out the water and finding out what I could about their habits and behaviour before even thinking about fishing for them. A very interesting challenge!

don't mind at all! :)

my point wasn't negative for specimen fishing; just putting my point across as to why its not for me; or should I say that style of fishing isn't for me.

maybe; one day; ill get into it properly and head out and do it again.....but for me the "fantasy" of fishing comes from those glorious episodes of "passion for angling" where monsters lurk in 2 feet of water and its just a matter of being sneaky enough with basic tackle to get the blighters!! (badly explained but you get the idea)

im aware there were features there a plenty and ive fished a few lakes far bigger than my usual haunts...but even then I tend to hunt down a quiet corner with reeds and overhangs and suchlike....that's my style I guess and im stuck with it! LOL

in the same way I mock my brother and his pole when things go horribly awry for him! LOL too much technology getting in the way for his own good..then his "transformer seat box of doom" collapses and all hell breaks loose! LOL

the other month the wheel fell off their trolley!! ROFLMAO!!! was like a scene from laurel and hardy!!

Edited by kirisute

..but for me the "fantasy" of fishing comes from those glorious episodes of "passion for angling" where monsters lurk in 2 feet of water and its just a matter of being sneaky enough with basic tackle to get the blighters!!

With my amateur psychologists head on, I see that as the little boy in you coming out - it's also how I approach 90% of my carp fishing, usually with a surface bait. :):fish:

my little boy coming out?

mate; my little boy never left me! I still read comics, play computer games and swordfight!!

that's how I live my life...I don't ever intend to grow up and I see no reason to! im proud of still feeling young enough to see fun in everything! :)

stands to reason my fishing would be the same...im happy to "tiddler" snatch as much as im happy to land a double figure carp! its another reason I love the pen rods so much...there is nothing there to back you up if your crap! its you the fish and a very very small rod! basic as it comes short of a stick!!

Edited by kirisute

Ooops

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/