Dodgy Logic

Sportsman

I always find the "trapping" and "self hooking" thing odd. If someone is fishing with more then one rod for specimen fish it seems they are always judged to be using a bolt rig and so less skill is needed due to the fish self hooking.

As Rudd points out it is common practice for those who "fish proper" to put out a spare ledger rod while float fishing with the usual commotion as they get bites on both rods at the same time and it's usually those who "fish proper" who are chasing their rods as they go in to the water. Multi rod Carp anglers use more then one rod due to the fact that they are unlikely to get bites at the same time and are likely to wait along time between takes and also have the good sense to use bait runners on all rods.

I find that a lot of fish I catch while feeder fishing self hook against the bend in the rod and with small hooks and baits a hell of a lot of fish hook themselves while pulling the float under. Most fish hook themselves anyway but hay if it makes people feel better to knock others styles thats fine. I like to fish different methods and feeder fishing is my favourite, I love see taps at the end of the rod or see the tip rip around. Yeah its fun to hit a slight knock and hook a fish but chances are ignore it and a fish will hook itself, so how is that more skilled then some one else who puts a rod on an alarm and waits for a fish to hook itself against the lead, bobbin or rod.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

in the end, we are all "trapping" a fish...

we use bait to lure a given species...that's trapping.

personally I never use two rods regardless I honestly don't feel like I can give enough attention to both to enjoy the fishing. it gets me too stressed! LOL

My favourite style of fishing is quivertipping on rivers, especially in the winter, which passes the 'traditional'/'acceptable' test with most people. However, I wouldn't ever claim it was especially difficult. There are certain things you need to get right but there's really not much to it. This is also 'trapping' but seems to be held in higher regard because I have to strike to hook the fish. (In actual fact, when roach fishing they hook themselves against the feeder most of the time, and when chubbing I just wind down until I feel the fish, which has invariably taken the bait right to the back of the mouth and is just mooching around.)

Compare that with getting any kind of a result on a low stock stillwater, even when cheating(!) with alarms, multiple rods, bolt rigs and baitrunners. It's fine that some people don't like that sort of fishing, but it really annoys me when it's constantly regarded as just chucking 3 set lines out anywhere into the lake and then sitting watching TV and drinking beer in a bivvy.

By the way, this spring I will probably be bolt rigging for crucians - hope that doesn't annoy anyone :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This is getting a bit silly now, I haven't said anything about the "skill" required to fish any method. I haven't said I 'look down' on any legal method, just that it isn't for me, and gave my reasons why. I will repeat that I would never endorse the banning of any legal method. I have also said that in certain circumstances, if you want to catch fish, a bolt rig is possibly the only viable option. You try setting a hook at 50yds plus on dry land, (even with a non stretch line), and you will see what I mean. Ok, the resistance from the line cutting through the water, helps to set the hook, but a self hooking rig does the job better. I can see the skill in fishing for specimens, in a low density big water, but the skill I see is that of doing your homework as to where the fish might be, then casting to the spot accurately, and setting you bobbins/swingers correctly, no mean feat in itself. I can see little skill in just turning up at a water and randomly hurling a couple of these rigs into the distance. I don't know about others, but I can see a subtle difference between the two. :)

I don't use the method, and wouldn't advocate a newcomer using it either. But therein lies my problem with this type of fishing, it's use when it's totally unnecessary, and it can be a danger to the fish, as well as causing trouble on the bankside. I see it used as the first 'go to' method on so many waters. This can be on small waters where several baits are cast into adjoining swims, and the arguments ensue. It is often used as a 'sure fire' way of not blanking, by those who see angling as a mainly social pastime involving meeting up for a 'natter' and still having an alarm to tell them they've got a bite. The fact that they might be 20 odd yards from their rod doesn't seem to matter, it's also used on waters that have a high stock level, with several fish hooked at once. While I applaud Steves "10 second" rule, I feel he's being a bit optimistic, and would say the average time, (from personal observations), would be twice, maybe three times that. How far could a decent fish travel in that time? I would like to see more tackle manufacturers/ angling celebs, giving a more balanced view of angling, and not pushing this particular method as much.

I personally don't use or even like the use of a 'sleeper' rod, I prefer to have my total concentration fixed on what's happening with one.

It should all be down to personal choice, but some anglers have never known anything different, because of the advertising, and often repeated dogma, that it's the 'only' way.

Among more experienced anglers it is down to personal choice, just as it's mine to use a keepnet occasionally, where allowed, I still get flack for it, but like Rudd, I don't give a hoot what anyone says. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It has got a little silly, but the original post was about trying to target low numbers of big fish from large waters - I would agree with the point about using unnecessary methods for small waters and high stocks, but I think that's a separate topic.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

no topic with a scantily glad buxom woman photo in it can ever be called silly! fact!

:)

There are times when a lifejacket does not need wearing in a boat - one involving natural buoyancy :clap3:

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!