heavy salmon/trout fly

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

what if i said i was fishing for non migratory trout. it doesnt say anything about them. i return my sea trout and salmon anyway. i could say i caught sea trout by mistake whilst targeting brown trout.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

winter:

what if i said i was fishing for non migratory trout. it doesnt say anything about them. i return my sea trout and salmon anyway. i could say i caught sea trout by mistake whilst targeting brown trout.

Where bass and pike mingle, or bream and mullet mix there is a grey area.

So I enquired of the Environment Agency, and got the following reply:

"A Rod Licence is required when fishing for freshwater fish, eels, Salmon or Sea Trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

If so they will enforce the licence requirement.

Regards

William Fawcett

Environment Agency

Public Enquiries Co-ordinator

Head Office Operations, Executive Office

01454 624411"

So, it's not what you claim to be fishing for that counts Winter, it's what the EA bailiff considers you are fishing for and I suspect that in the circumstances the magistrate will most likely believe the bailiff's interpretation rather than your protestations.

And don't forget that an annual rod licence for salmon and sea trout will set you back £62.50.

see http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...399730/?lang=_e

Tight Lines - leon

ps The NFSA campaigned for and got some dispensations so that sea anglers would not be prosecuted for fishing for eels without a licence.

[ 12. August 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

winter:

it reads -

"Fishing in rivers streams and drains for salmon and migratory trout between the end of the first hour after sunset and the beginning of the last hour before sunrise shall be an offence unless the bait used consists of a natural or artificial fly with each hook not exceeding a 10mm diameter."

it does not seem to stipulate rod and reel type

er, reading that, it seems to only apply if fishing for salmon and migratory trout, if you are genuinly fishing for some other species, and are allowed to, then I would say that you don't need to fish with a fly.

Best give the EA a call. I've found them quite helpful in the past.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

leon there is brown trout in the river. i have caught them, and some anglers target them. one method of catching a brown ie spinning with mepps, flying c, rapala etc will also cdatch u migratory.

If you want to use a fly but don't want to use a fly rod, try a casting float. Do a search on AN and there'll be several historic threads on this. Used a lot in mainland Europe, casting floats are floating, sinking and neutral, and allow you to "spinn" even with a light fly. You amy have to get them mail order from a foreign shop.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Hmmm something smells "fishy" about this... why would you be wanting to use large, mostly treble hooked flies to fish in the dark for a fish that ain't normally caught in the dark??

I know from past experience despite having caught hundreds of Salmon, I only ever caught a hand full of them at night and at that they were mostly foul hooked accidentally while fishing for sea trout.

Normally when anyone implements rules like the "EA" have on that river it's to try and stop the unscrupulous "anglers" that are in a habit of deliberately trying to foul hook the fish which is against the Law.

Incidentally so long as you can prove the foul hooking was an accident you are legally entitled to keep the fish if you want :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"