Help!

Spur-Hound

Well folks,

Decided to get up off my back-side and find a job. After applying for loads, ive had a few phone interviews, and only one has got back to me regarding a proper interview, which is on friday morning.

It is for a big Insurance company in Edinburgh, who only ensure dangerous people such as racing drivers etc. The job is office junior /answering phone calls /training etc

Ive never been for a proper interview; since leaving school ive only worked for my dad. I would really appreciate some tips, with the wage as good as it is and 'increasing with time and training', it is a job ide love to get for now!

Can anybody teach this hairy arsed fisherman how to impress big posh dressed in suit type people???? P.S, My mum says im one of those people who are 'truly etiquette challenged' :blink::rolleyes::lol::P

Whatever can she mean?? :unsure:;)

Cheers

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be yourselfe ,be honest and dress smart .

And good luck M8

Fingers crossed

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Wear a short skirt and high heels. Gauranteed to make an impact! ;D

Failing that, as has already been said, be yourself. Do some research on the company and go armed with a couple of prepared questions for when they ask " Is there anything you would like to ask?"

Spur Hound,

seeing that it's the first IV, it's likely to be more formal and a getting to know you session,what youve done before, what you like, what you want and where you see yourself in a few years time sort of thing, so best you have that thought out before you go!

Dont be negative and always be positive, if they ask questions that you dont know, take a breath and try to explain how you would overcome the situation, also try and do a bit more research on the company so you know exactly what they are about and so forth, employers like that sort of thing!

Good luck though matey, i hope you do well!!

;)

Keep it reel!!

A usefull tip I was taught when going to my first interview, to overcome nerves was to imagine the interviewer as being naked. They will likely be sat behind a table so you wont "see" anything in your minds eye, but this technique will give you more confidence...should you need it.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

OK Spur Hound

http://www.coaching-life.co.uk/career/jobinterviews.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/work/i...iews/prep.shtml

Both will link you to good advice, armed with which you'll feel confident, look confident and act confident.

The "couple of questions" tip is really important: it's your chance to show that you have an interest in THIS job, not just any job.

You're not applying for MD of the World, they know you have little work experience at this stage. What they're looking for is commitment (going to work every day!), an ability to learn (stress your strongest subjects at school), and your general behaviour (they're actually testing your parents on this one!)

Two tips for overcoming nerves:

Imagine you're interviewing THEM! :lol:

If you're asked a question that you don't understand, get clarification by asking THEM a question. If you need to, politely respond with "May I come back to you on that?" ;)

KNOW HOW TO LEAVE WELL! First impression and last impression counts. Thank them, say you look forward to hearing from them, and say it firmly. Likewise, if someone wants to shake your hand, they're doing it for a reason so shake it firmly.

I've interviwed a lot of first-timers and these are the salient points I look for.

BUT LOOK AT THOSE SITES!

Oh, and good luck - enjoy the experience :D

I've got loads of stuff - including some 'Killer questions' to ASK yourself....

Worth getting hold of "Winning at Interviews" by Alan Jones (ISBN 0-7126-7019X)- easy to read and some great advice...

PM me...

Maybe I should change my sig to 'Anglersnet Outplacement Consultant'

:D

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog