Help!

Spur-Hound

Spot on Jabee. A way to answer competency/behavioural questions is to have a number of STAR stories to illustrate the behaviour/competency.

STAR stands for: S=Stuation (ie the problem or issue), T= Task (ie what needed to be done). A=Action (what YOU actually did to resolve the issue). R=Result (what was the end result of your efforts)

Keep the story to around 1-2 minutes (definitely NO longer you don't want to waffle - though two mins is a long time) Use plenty of 'I' statements 'I did this... 'I achieved such and such' etc. Of course be honest and truthful - you don't want to get caught out with supplementary questions but don't be afraid to blow your own trumpet.

For example supposed you're being asked to talk about a time you had to plan and organise something.

Your answer might go something like this....

"There was a time at College when we were given a term time project about X to complete. (SITUATION) The Project involved having to do a lot of reasearch and although we had 12 weeks to complete it I was worried about getting it all done in time. (TASK)

So I broke up the project into milestones. I gave myself a week to have the project scope and objectives written. Set myself a deadline of 5 weeks to have all the reasearch completed, 4 weeks to have draft recommendations (etc) I made sure that MY deadline for completion was a week before it had to be handed in - so I had some leeway in case of any unforseen circumstances. I then drew up a simple Gantt chart which I put up by my desk so that I could monitor my progress.

(ACTION)

The result was that I managed to complete my project on time and also got a good mark, but more importantly unlike most of my fellow students it wasn't all a mad rush at the end of term. Pacing myself over the 12 weeks enabled me to produce a much better end report.... (RESULT)

Get the idea?

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are good competency based questions, however, the point of a competency based question is to gather contemporay evidence of how a person would/will act, rather than how they think they should act.

Short sharp answers are not sufficient to enable an interviewer to gain this evidence, in fact, well structured questions are often expressed in a way that does not allow you to reply with a short sharp answer such as "tell me about an occassion when.........", or, "tell me how you reacted to.........." etc.

A well trained interviewer will also ask supplementry questions, in order to 'home in' on the required evidence

The key to answering these questions is to tell the truth. If you do not have a contemporary answer (if there is no specific applicable work experience, do not exclude experience at School/College/Clubs), then say so but carry on to tell the interviewer how you think you would have acted in a similar position/scenario.

Short and sharp is relative issue! I am quite verbose as a rule, so that tends to be more of a note to self!

I also meant to say that the answers could be about life experience where no work experience is relevant.

It is very possible to give a short, sharp answer to an open, leading question. I felt it important to get a point across. People lacking self confidence from my own experience tend to speak more rather than less.

If the interviewer asks a competency based question, for which you have no relevant experience, I'd ask if the interviewer will accept a hypothetical answer. Some do, some don't.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

What can i say! With all this help i have no reason not to impress, you have all been superb! Im not even goint to give individual thanks, cos there has been so much help from everyone. From interesting links to general advice, i feel so much more confident now.

Friday will come soon no doubt, better get myself polished up tomorow!

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

Just paraphrasing the good advice on here already. Any interview has to be seen as your opportunity to find out about them too. Given what the job entails, think of examples of where you have undertaken the work that you are going to doing for them to demonstrate that you have experience. You want to be able to demonstrate that you have the skills for the job.

Be positive in your answers - if you are asked questions that seem designed to draw out negative answers, turn them round by explaining how you have learnt from those experiences and how this has helped you. Questions like what are your strengths/weaknesses are common. Don't say getting out of bed is a weakness...

Demonstrating that you have got a sense of humour is important, but obviously make sure that it's appropriate!

Ask them what career prospects and progression you could envisage. Also ask about training - the majority of employers will be impressed if you show interest in taking up any training opportunities offered to you.

A common thing if you are nervous is to speak too quickly - try and speak clearly and slowly (it won't sound slow). If there is a panel interviewing you, make sure you address your responses to everyone, not just the person that has asked the question.

If you want an example of how not to interview, watch Trainspotting. :D

Good luck and knock em dead.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Well folks,

Decided to get up off my back-side and find a job. After applying for loads, ive had a few phone interviews, and only one has got back to me regarding a proper interview, which is on friday morning.

It is for a big Insurance company in Edinburgh, who only ensure dangerous people such as racing drivers etc. The job is office junior /answering phone calls /training etc

Ive never been for a proper interview; since leaving school ive only worked for my dad. I would really appreciate some tips, with the wage as good as it is and 'increasing with time and training', it is a job ide love to get for now!

Can anybody teach this hairy arsed fisherman how to impress big posh dressed in suit type people???? P.S, My mum says im one of those people who are 'truly etiquette challenged' :blink::rolleyes::lol::P

Whatever can she mean?? :unsure:;)

Cheers

Shaun

show em ya hairy ass mate ,

Id be amaized if you got the job, but what a story for the lads down the pub .

Joking aside listen to the question being asked before you awnser the question,give your self time to awnser. saves on rambling.

also you may be asked to tell them a bit about your self. spend a bit of time thinkink how you are going to awnser this as talking about your self without boring some one aint easy.

best of luck mate

let us know how you got on.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

"Repeat their names when it is offered "I'm Julia" "Hello Julia" - wierd, the lady im getting interviewed from really is called Julia... spooky or what!

Well, with all your top tips dont think i can be more ready, just need to wake up in time tomorow. Il let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again

Tight Lines

Shaun

Hi all,

Got called up today, and was offered the job!!! Must have been doing something right! Couldnt have done it without all the help. Thanks!!

Not decided yet tho', i mean... ill be getting 8500a year, for two years, then it increases. I think ill say yes and stick it out, afte rall that will still keep me fishing and might even keep a car running!

Tight Lines

Shaun

Hi all,

Got called up today, and was offered the job!!! Must have been doing something right! Couldnt have done it without all the help. Thanks!!

Not decided yet tho', i mean... ill be getting 8500a year, for two years, then it increases. I think ill say yes and stick it out, afte rall that will still keep me fishing and might even keep a car running!

Congratulations Shaun :D

proud of ya :D