Help!

Spur-Hound

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

good luck mate

best advice i can give is turn up knowing your gonna nail this job,sit straight,ask any questions you need answers for(wage,hours)not how much holiday you get:)

dress smartish

black suit trousers and a nice plain polo shirt or similar but nothing with things like mettalica on:)hehe

i do like the band just it wont help

get an early night,shave,breath mint,shine shoes.be punctual 15mins early

good luck again

sg

Edited by billy5000

Guest Finepix

Arrive early, at least ten minutes. Be smart, be confident but not cocky.

Make eye contact as much as possible, not with your shoes.

You may be fresh out of college etc (apologies if your not) ... but they will be looking for somebody assertive, somebody who can work on there own initiative, so act it!

Stand tall, don't slouch. Give them a firm handshake whilst looking them in the eye. Repeat their names when it is offered "I'm Julia" "Hello Julia" That way your less likely to forget it.

Most importantly be yourself. Good luck, and if you don't get it it wasn't meant to be, it doesn't mean that you were crap in the interview. If they do want you then they'll want to see you again, possibly another couple of times (depending on the company). You should really dig out some information on what it is they do exactly and get some interesting questions written down, not just about overtime etc..

Let us know how you get on.

:D

I echo the above; do some research on the company beforehand a few minutes research on the interent will be invaluable.

Also do look smart jeans and trainers are out, shirt and tie are in, you need not wear a suit, but you only have half an hour or so to make an impression.

Good luck, enjoy it and learn from your experience.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

You may be asked competency based questions:

Can you tell me about how you've:

handled a difficult customer?

worked as part of a team?

gone the extra mile to help someone?

dealt with a difficult situation?

Be prepared to give a short, sharp answer (leaving them as little chance as possible to ask a related question). Try not to make it sound rehearsed.

Have your own work related questions prepared.

Ask about the company's after hours social life - after all - you're a team player aren't you!

Good luck. Seriously.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Good luck in the Interview, some great advice on here - which Im sure if you take note of will give you an advantage. The - "imagine your interviewing them" is a good was to calm yourself. Nothing else I can say, thats not been said - apart from make sure you dont have chewing gum in your mouth!

Maybe see you at Etive on Saturday - I'll be down for the boat match, first time there so looking forward to a new venue.

Good luck.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Best of luck Shaun. Some good advice there from your forum mates :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

You may be asked competency based questions:

Can you tell me about how you've:

handled a difficult customer?

worked as part of a team?

gone the extra mile to help someone?

dealt with a difficult situation?

Be prepared to give a short, sharp answer (leaving them as little chance as possible to ask a related question). Try not to make it sound rehearsed.

These are good competency based questions, however, the point of a competency based question is to gather contemporay evidence of how a person would/will act, rather than how they think they should act.

Short sharp answers are not sufficient to enable an interviewer to gain this evidence, in fact, well structured questions are often expressed in a way that does not allow you to reply with a short sharp answer such as "tell me about an occassion when.........", or, "tell me how you reacted to.........." etc.

A well trained interviewer will also ask supplementry questions, in order to 'home in' on the required evidence

The key to answering these questions is to tell the truth. If you do not have a contemporary answer (if there is no specific applicable work experience, do not exclude experience at School/College/Clubs), then say so but carry on to tell the interviewer how you think you would have acted in a similar position/scenario.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Some things I can add - make sure you have had some food beforehand, a mate of mine fainted in an interview once because he hadn't eaten.

Also, this is a chance for you to shine - if you know you're good at something then blow your own trumpet! Avoid bragging though, you don't want to appear bigheaded. The more you talk, the less chance they have to ask you nasty questions, and no-one likes people that only give simple answers grudgingly, it's like getting blood out of a stone. Ask your mates/colleagues to tell you what you're good at if you don't already know. Ask questions to show that you want the job, and that you need to know everything. If you ask about things like pension schemes then it shows you're thinking of a committment. Be careful not to probe too deeply though, you might scare them off. Asking about trade unions is probably not a good idea....

Dress smart, shine your shoes properly, clean hands & nails and off you go.

good luck!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com