Online Store

twochay

Hi all, a while since i last posted! I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem i have. I am building an online store and need a way that a customer can buy goods from my site and pay via various credit cards (should they wish) I am told i will need a storefront |(checkout, basket etc) but i have no idea what to look for or how much it will cost! Could anyone give me any pointers?

oscommerce or xcart or litecommerce will provide what you need in the way of checkout basket etc.

For payment unless you are an established business it ain't easy getting to be able to accept credit/debit cards. About the easiest, and in reality as cheap as any other available method is to use paypal. Both the above will link fairly easily to paypal.

Good luck

My personal favourite is litecommerce, but they are all good.

costs are not too bad, provided you don't get too ripped off for hosting. Oscommerce is free, litecommerce is about £100 for the licence, xcart I think is similar.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that. I have already got hosting. I looked into the paypal package but from what I can make out only customers that are paypal members would be able to buy from my site? This is going to put people off buying.

I will look at the companys you suggested, hard work this online store mallarky!

Cheers,

Chay

nope, with paypal anyone can pay you, it is a proper epayment gateway system that they have. Have you looked at the merchant tools tab? Look at the Website Payments Pro section, should be all you need.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

I am in the merchant tab section but all i can find is the 'website payments' section, i cant find the pro bit' were is it?

yes it sounds ideal, but i cant figure out which one i sign up for

I recently setup an online shop for a client of mine (I am a web designer/developer by trade):

http://www.eurocardplayer.net

To accept payment via debit or credit card you will need an online PSP (Payment Service Provider). The most commonly used & popular is WorldPay, but there are many alternatives all depending on what service you need & how professional you want your website to look.

As previously mentioned PayPal now allow people to make purchases without having a paypal account - this can though be long & drawn out waiting for some methods of payment such as 'e-cheques' etc

Check out my site for more examples of what I do & give me a shout if there is anything I can help with

http://www.studio-six.co.uk

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Guest Finepix

Look into Worldpay. I was going to open an online store a couple of years ago and they were my choice.

A lot of stores I shop with use it as well, including rivercottage.net.

Hth

-Julia-