Finally a pike !

Adam247

Hi guys and girls got my first pike on the Liverpool Leeds canal after trying for the past 2 years I have 1 beauty at 8lb !!!! Pics will follow also can anybody recommend a set if scales that would work for checking breaking strain on line as been trying with my own but keeps resetting when the line snaps - they are electronic but seen a video of some online but couldn't see the manufactory name at all as they hold the weight when it snaps and can record the info from it . thinking of seeing how true some strains actually are

post-23673-0-56512000-1393360644_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Congratulations on your first pike!

It's a problem testing line. As Andy says, I bust one set of scales doing it. Not quite sure how, perhaps the suddenness of the break. Now I use old scales. I didn't destroy them totally, but they have a big zero error that I can't correct.

john clarke

Congratulations on your first pike!

It's a problem testing line. As Andy says, I bust one set of scales doing it. Not quite sure how, perhaps the suddenness of the break. Now I use old scales. I didn't destroy them totally, but they have a big zero error that I can't correct.

I reckon its sudden shock of the spring returning from like 30lb back to 0. cant be good in the long run. first time I tried it it was an almighty horrible noise coming from the entire scale when trace broke.

I fill bags with rocks, weigh them then test them on the wire hanging it from a tree/fence/whatever

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Test line use a suitable bag (carrier) load bag with potatoes of pebbles: when line breaks weigh bag. I tie a strong bit of line to the bags handle and a swivel so the line you wish to test can be tied to this swivel.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Test line use a suitable bag (carrier) load bag with potatoes of pebbles: when line breaks weigh bag. I tie a strong bit of line to the bags handle and a swivel so the line you wish to test can be tied to this swivel.

Congratulations on achieving your goal Adam.

I use Gary's method, it will also test your knots. Remember though that it's a straight/steady pull, a sudden jerk with a lighter weight can cause it to break, that's why most of us advocate 'balanced' rod and line.

If you'd prefer to do it your way, then take a video of the scales, then playback and pause at the moment it breaks.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John