Minnows

Crackin Clax

Are traps legal now?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I actually pranged one on the point of a Bulldawg treble once! Am I the only angler to crack the Minnow on a lure?? :D

I agree about the bait size thing. Minnows are a complete waste of time in terms of selectivity in my experience. They'll catch you every Perch in the water bigger than an ounce.

What you want........ what you really, really want.... is a nice fat Gudgeon. The best big perch bait bar none! ;)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Love the Orvis traps Ferret. Pity they cost so much. Looks like I'll be sticking to jumbo coffee jars for a while yet.

...and heres one I made earlier. ;) You need Adobe loaded to open the pdf file.

http://www.boyslife.org/workshop/minnows.pdf

The biggest problem is 'first locate your minnows' since they don't appear in every water. The odd one or two that I have managed to persuade to swim into my trap have come from fast clear water. If it looks good for trout or chub then there's probably a minnow or three also. Weirpools tend to be crawling with them.

The other minor issue is that a trap is what the EA describe as a 'fixed engine' and is thus technically illegal on most waters without a licence. However I can't imagine the EA coming on strong just because you're catching a minnow or two in a jar. I can just imagine what the average magistrate would make of a court appearance for trapping minnows. True they might confiscate your trap but since mine are just old lemonade bottles......... If in doubt take a small child with you that cries easily :rolleyes:

Personally I think a 3-4 inch roach or better still, a good old fashioned gudgeon does a far better job of catching big perch.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Greenpeace suggestion: place minnows in a glass container on the river bottom and fish for predators with a lure :) :)

Or better still, leave that lure rod at home as well and leave the poor fish in peace all together. :huh:

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Greenpeace suggestion: place minnows in a glass container on the river bottom and fish for predators with a lure :) :)

Off topic I know, but...

I've just come back from Australia - there was a piece in an Aussie newspaper about a Greenpeace ship running aground on a coral reef.

Apparently it was "protecting" the reef (report didn't say what from).

Anyway, according to the report, Greenpeace were charged with "damaging the environment" taken to court and fined.

Dunno how true the report was - anyone here know anything about it?

Anyway, to return to the thread, isn't chucking glass jars into the river classed as "leaving litter" ?

No wonder the Aussies have a saying "The only true wilderness is the space between a Greenie's ears"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...