Zander are a serious problem

norfolkfisher

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7559266.stm

The british waterways have decided to name zander as one of a few creatures as a serious hazard to our waterways, but over the years have they really caused many problems? All fish stocks including zander have had some slight decline at some point. Though i agree with the other animals/plants they've included i just dont feel theres any signs that zander are a problem.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put carp above zander.

Same here but BWB have always had a thing about Zander. They have spent masses of public money on pointless electrofishing for zander for years.

It does make me wonder why they have spent more public money on drawing up this list at all. The EA has a remit to deal with invasive species so why do we need two agencies overlapping on the issue ?

It's not even as if you can possibly do anything about Himilayan Balsom and some of the other species listed in the article.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

i know the answer its so obvious

teach our Eastern European friends that every thing on the list except(Zander) would make a great meal

a sort of hot pot type stew. :D

and they just might eat the lot to extinction :rolleyes:

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Also no mention of the top mouth gudgeon? Surely a much greater threat to fish stocks anyway. I know they got rid of alot of them but aren't there still quite a few knocking around?

No the Zander ate them all :)

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Of course there is a chance that spending all that time and money trying to eradicate could have been saved by leaving them [the Zander] to find their own level?

Nature is quite good at that!

Absolutely! If a species finds an environment to its liking, then it will eventually find its level, vis a vis what is already there.

This has been the case with grey squirrels, rhododendrons, mink, rabbits, carp etc etc over many years.

Try removing them with a half-hearted "cull" and the population will rebound - I made a fortune in the 1950's shooting grey squirrels and collecting the bounty of a shilling a tail - as a rough guide, beer was about a shilling a pint then, so shooting forty or more squirrels a weekend was serious money to a hard-up teenager earning three pounds a week at his day job. It made NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER to the numbers of squirrels in the Sussex Weald. About half a dozen of us were doing it - it probably needed about five hundred shooters to make a serious impact.

Only changing the environment will have any impact on an established species, and y'all need no telling how difficult (or how easy?) that is... In the case of the grey squirrels, chopping down much of the Wealden woods to build houses, lay out golf courses, grow oilseed rape, and other "essentials" was quite effective.

Have just found a wooden spoon......wasn't there an angling journalist who was on a mission to exterminate zander? Does this mean he goes from villian to hero overnight?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I remember as a young boy, hearing about this voracious predetor called the zander, that had been introduced into the fens and the warickshire Avon. The stocking of this voracious predetor was going to be the start of the decimation of our fish stoicks right across the country unless every zander was killed.

What rubbish 30 years on they have barely spread from the original places they were introduced and even there they have had virtually no ill effects on the resident fish population, in fact most anglers would consider them a welcome addition.

With rgards to the Eastern Europeans, keep it to yourselves, but the zander is one of the tastiest fish in our fresh water

Yeah i agree with all of the above. I just dont really see the point of culling a species that isnt doing any wrong, there are plenty of other species in britain that probably do need a massive cull to stop the damage, such as the signal crayfish. But i feel to kill zander would be like killing off the golden pheasants, they're doing no harm and are quite nice to have around.