Perch Float Rigs?

Guest Josh Iddon

To be honest almost anything can catch perch, a simple waggler set up too fall slowly through the water will get you bites.

Perch can be wary of resistence though, so shot the float till its a "dimple" on the surface (conditions permiting) but dont be frightened of using a large float, aslong as its well shotted.

To make a bait fall slowly though the water, place the bulk of the shot around the bottom of the waggler and then just a smaller dropper shot a foot or so away from the hook.

If you are using larger baits, small deadbaits, lobworms etc. Use the same waggler setup but fish it over depth by roughly 18" so that the bait lays on the bottom. Then continue to loosefeed maggots etc over the area.

Remember that if you do use a small deadbait to use a wiretrace, as you may hook up with Mr pike.

hope this helps a lil bit.

Phil

I use a waggler set-up as well, with the shot near the float.

Try and keep the line to the bait taut if possible, this can take some practice. Best thing, over-cast then reel back to preferred position. The line should then be straight to the bait.

Fish a bit over depth, and when the bait touches the bottom, give it a couple of pulls. This does two things. First, it makes sure you have no slack between you and the bait. Second, it imparts a bit of movement in the bait which the fish love.

Bear in mind, Perch like cover like reeds, weed and shade. You'll find most of those along the margins which mean only a short cast.

post-1525-1132693090_thumb.jpg

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

edd what shot do you use near the hook? I often worry if the shot will spoke the fish when they pick the bait up. I dont normally go heavier than a bb. Do you think it matters?

Edited by josh

Given that perch are susceptible to being deep hooked - which is more dangerous to them than other species, I'm not too sure of the wisdom of using lift bites as indicators. Rather than fish over depth, isn't it better to fish dead depth or slightly under?

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Given that perch are susceptible to being deep hooked - which is more dangerous to them than other species, I'm not too sure of the wisdom of using lift bites as indicators. Rather than fish over depth, isn't it better to fish dead depth or slightly under?

I take your point about this, but when done correctly the lift method can be very sensitive.

Although you fish overdepth, the line between the float and the shot near the hook can be quite tight. Since this shot is the only weight on the line, when it is moved a bite is registered by the float.

In fact it can be one of the most sensitive methods when setup properly, i.e dont use to much weight on the line, just use enough to barley cock the float

1) Dont use to much shot/weight on the line, use just enough to cock the float

2) Fish it a foot or so over depth

3) when cast out, the float will lay flat due to being over depth. Slowly wind in till the float cocks and keep the line taught.

It can take some practice but its well worth while :)

Alan, I admire your concerns, but if correctly set up fishing overdepth doesn't lead to more deeply-hooked perch.

BTW, I find that the lift method works best with small baits. Having said that, there are many occasions that using it will result in less fish - in other words it's just another method rather than the cure-all that is sometimes suggested.

It would take an article to cover the subject of float rigs for perch. However, the 2 most important things are to minimise resistance (the traditional perch "bob" float isn't good here!), and to fish at the right depth. Get the latter wrong and, no matter what rig you use, you'll catch a lot less perch!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Would it be okay to use a small deadbait under a normal sized wagler using the lift method or fishing abit over depth? and i wont fish a water with pike in it, would flurocarbon be a good hooklength?