Tuna In The Med

Steve Coppolo

hello Stavey

There was a conciderable warm period dureing the 20's,nearly as warm as it is know, the tuna followed the atlantic drift around the top of Scotland down into the north sea further than normal, as you say there were plenty of herring for them to feed on, I wish I could find out what the cod fishing was like on your local beaches at that time.

It's those cycle of events that I keep on about.

The herring are comeing back the tuna are already being caught from Ireland I recon it won't be long before they show in the north sea again.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Thanks steve interesting link, whats your theory and also wurzel on the dissapearance of our own bluefin in the north sea guys?

I don't really know Stavey, it was a bit before my time. I don't ever remember Tuna being caught in the North Sea. I have heard of Tuna off the Irish coast though, so maybe they are about to make a comeback. Maybe we should start campaigning now to get them designated as a recreational only species, just to be on the safe side ;)

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I saw some very old film footage the other day on sky. it was taken in 1930 ish i think? it showed these toffs trying to land these bloody great tuna that was towing them for hours, aboard rowing boats somewhere off scarbrough, as you say wurzel these tunny where feeding off the herring, there where reports up to the sixties before they dissapeared completely i think you will find wurzel that the bluefin can tolerate water temps down to about 8 degree, but then again the waters of the coasts got quite cold during that decade did'nt it? maybe it was this as well as the dissapearance of the large herring shaols that done for the bluefin, up until then i think they had been here for a long time as records along the south coast archiologists digs have proven, with the amount of the bluefin tunas bones being found at bronze age digs where these fish proved to be a major part of these peoples diets, goodnight to you both early one again tommorrow 3 am start :(

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

hello Stavey

There was a conciderable warm period dureing the 20's,nearly as warm as it is know, the tuna followed the atlantic drift around the top of Scotland down into the north sea further than normal, as you say there were plenty of herring for them to feed on, I wish I could find out what the cod fishing was like on your local beaches at that time.

It's those cycle of events that I keep on about.

The herring are comeing back the tuna are already being caught from Ireland I recon it won't be long before they show in the north sea again.

The herring certainly are coming back. Shark and whale have been chsing them. How long the tuna once more?

Why are the herring coming back? Fashion, or lack of it I reckon has a large part to play. (My home smoked kippers were gorgeous).

hello Norfolk Boy

Why are the herring coming back? Fashion, or lack of it I reckon has a large part to play. (My home smoked kippers were gorgeous).

You don't think that the colder winters of the 60's might have had a little to do with thier demise and the milder winters of late are more to thier likeing?

Possibly, but as people don't want to eat them, they are left alone. I remember talking to some old boy who said they used to throw bass back as there was no market for them (they were netting for mullett). I'm somewhere between the overfishing and climate argument for what it's worth.

Hello Norfolk Boy

I remember talking to some old boy who said they used to throw bass back as there was no market for them

I was told the same,

I'm somewhere between the overfishing and climate argument for what it's worth.

Same as me then, 20% over fishing and 80% climate.