Lower Itchen-fish-in

seph

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Pike to 23lb (you have to cull any Pike you catch under 10lb though) ...

Blimey. "have to" ??? What's the punishment for putting them back?

Think this might raise a few eyebrows :o:o

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

We had a short discussion about this last year. Might not be wise to have another public one Glenn, but you can guess everyone's thoughts and what they were likely to do if faced with a decision. All of mine were doubles anyway :rolleyes:

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

All of mine were doubles anyway :rolleyes:

Ah. Nice fishing! :)

Incidentally the thread on last year's trip to the Itchen makes great reading -

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2054

- including the build-up where some kiddies seem to be getting *very* excited looking forward to Christmas. ;) The go-fishing photos have expired but the photobucket and other photos are well worth a look.

3 months away! Arghhh.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

- including the build-up where some kiddies seem to be getting *very* excited looking forward to Christmas. ;) The go-fishing photos have expired but the photobucket and other photos are well worth a look.

3 months away! Arghhh.

It will soon be here and I am looking forward to it already.

I like to get down there at least once a year.

Paul

3 months away! Arghhh.

I was kidding about the doubles Glen. was having too much fun with the grayling and the perch to dig out the pike gear. HOWEVER, if I had, they would all have been doubles and therefore returned. Must get these scales checked. ;)

They don't allow fly fishing because we are coarse anglers. The regulars there pay a fortune for their fishing and would be upset to see coarse anglers, outside of the trout season, apparently fishing for trout.

Pete

Still makes no sense since grayling are also fished for on the fly. If I went after grayling on the fly I'd probably catch far less trout than those fishing for grayling with maggots. Timsbury allow all methods for grayling and coarse fish. Probably because unlike the Lower Itchen Fishery, they've thought it all the way through.

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper.

There was a fairly major fish kill around July this year, due to pollution, it started somewhere upstream of LIF. Quite a lot of the bigger fish and yearlings were killed, so the Grayling population is somewhat depleted now, with a good days fishing producing 20 Grayling plus some Chub and Trout rather than the normal 60+ expected at this time of year.

Fish are proving to be more localised now and harder to find. Good news though that the coarse fish appear to have come through unscathed and quite a few Chub are coming out. Barbel to over 9lb have also come out this season, plenty of Trout and the odd Sea Trout.

If you have n't asked, I'd ask Lindsay if you can use the syndicate stretch at the top end.

Good luck on the day, if you need any info nearer the time on how its been fishing, send me a PM.

Bryan's right - the fish kill seemed to have 'slot killed' the grayling - small fish and big fish being the main victims - I fished it last month had 28 grayling best went 1lb 11oz (respectable but not huge for the Itchen) Was the firsttime I've fished here and NOT caught a 2lber. Still it should mean some monsters in a couple of seasons......

Having said that 'we've' got it booked the week before you Seph! :P

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog