Compromise

JB

Guest binatone
why do i dislike commercial people.

controlled by GPS so they fish 15 days a month... easy just disconnect it then work all month.

when sunday was banned just ignore it!

trawl so far up the beach get stuch as the tide has receded further than you think.

land your full quota of fish. then be seen back at a small harbour loading fish into unmarked vans! sell direct to hotels for cash only!

worst of all. haul in 1000's of codling(& other species) 1-2lbs and dump them a few hours later because you have heard the market price has bottomed out. then go and target more codling hoping to get bigger ones where the price is better.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

As an RSA i support the pullout of the CFP, and we ( saveourbass.com) pretty much do too i think.

I think marine resources are too delicate for their management to be compromised by differing needs of differing countries.

I am fully in favour of europe as a Free Trade Area but each country should be able to put its own interests first in regard to certain things seen as in the National Interest - defence, law & order, and other stuff such as fisheries and farming.

In the same way that the EU should not decide how we defend our country, they should not manage our fisheries either.

In my opinion that was the major mistake of the EC - and it is one that will become exacerbated as it expands, is that in the rush to promote economic growth through free trade and the movement of labour, the need of individual nations to protect their national interests was surrendered.

The UK realised it years ago, France and Germany now in deep economic recession are only just realising it, and are finding they built an EC which is not structured to help them out now they are in economic trouble.

I would say bugger Eastern Europe, and hold out for a renegotiation of CAP and the CFP in return for the rebate reduction that France and Germany need.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Sounds like the compromise is going same way as the alliance. Spot on dale. Thing is they dont go out of business they just diversify and ruin someone elses. Heared on the grapevine that some of the Whitby Skippers are soon to diversify into shellfish. Wont be long untill that business is screwed too.

Guest binatone
why do i dislike commercial people.

controlled by GPS so they fish 15 days a month... easy just disconnect it then work all month.

when sunday was banned just ignore it!

trawl so far up the beach get stuch as the tide has receded further than you think.

land your full quota of fish. then be seen back at a small harbour loading fish into unmarked vans! sell direct to hotels for cash only!

worst of all. haul in 1000's of codling(& other species) 1-2lbs and dump them a few hours later because you have heard the market price has bottomed out. then go and target more codling hoping to get bigger ones where the price is better.

If what you say is by first hand experience. I take it you are adding to this thread from jail?

Disconnect GPS???? Etc etc what a load of crap dale. Now come on dale don’t insult what little intelligence we have.

Guest binatone
Sounds like the compromise is going same way as the alliance. Spot on dale. Thing is they dont go out of business they just diversify and ruin someone elses. Heared on the grapevine that some of the Whitby Skippers are soon to diversify into shellfish. Wont be long untill that business is screwed too.

You fear things in proportion to your ignorance of them.

The more you say the less I fear you know.

Remember it is a very passionate industry that you are continuously trying to ridicule.

A local fishing community that you think that because they seam to earn more than you, cannot whatever they do justify your shortcomings.

I don’t think that you are a lesser person than me because I earn more than you.

Some chip you have on your shoulder.

1st thing you obviously are not denying the rest and second i was talking about an associate who runs a large craft and it was him who told me. yup he knows if he gets caught he will get a piddly little fine. in comparison to what he can earn its small change.

his attitude is that he will keep doing it till its no longer viable to go to sea. he recognises that fish stocks are low but he has to earn and until something changes he will keep doing it.

re diversify, that includes electric fishing for shellfish. something i didn't know till recently was completely illegal yet commonplace.

what i can't understand if how the commercial sector gets such loyality from the government when the facts are stacked against them.

Most commercial fishermen i know (and i know a lot) tell a fair tale with massive catches,the truth is they hardly earn enough to keep up boat payments and just keep their heads above water!

every now and again they hit a decent catch to keep them afloat, ok 99% of them are small boats but they have to work very long hard hours for this

The whole business of the EU is very untidy, to say the least. Millions of people ignoring thousands of laws that very few understand, and which the EU appears to be very reluctant to enforce. What is the point of making a law that you do not intend to enforce? In my view, the thing that most EU citizens have in common is that they take very little notice of EU rules and laws and hardly seem to care a toss for the EU.

If your Local Council painted double yellow lines on every street in your town but only employed traffic wardens to sit in an office and shuffle papers all day, then we would all park where we liked. Then, if all of a sudden the traffic wardens were made to do their jobs, probably most of us would get tickets. In a very short time, we would learn to find alternative legal places to park. It is all just a learning process. This is the same thing that has happened to fishermen in recent times.

In another thread, ‘Feels Like Winter to Me’ wrote:

”I believe that if something in life is illegal then the justice system should be used to deal with it with the end result being the offender being rehabillitated. Those who know me well in Whitby will know that in my younger days I had many a run in with the law. It was that system that I hope has taught me right from wrong and therefore I believe in that system no matter what the context. It is the job of the countries citizens to lobby its government over laws it sees as unjust as this is how change will be brought about. Having said that I'm sure thier are certain situations where I would still break the law - I am not holyier than thou my friend.”

So do we treat FLWTM as a would-be criminal or a reformed character? Surely we must treat commercial fishermen who have broken rules in the past in the same manner. Since DEFRA’s recent tightening up of the rules, I believe most British commercial fishermen are working within the law. So bearing in mind the ridiculous system they have had to put up with, I, for one, think commercials should be given the benefit of the doubt. However, if the same men continue to do the job in the way they have always done it in the past, then I will be the first to question their credibility.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com