Two-Tone (again)

Pangolin

Hi Nathan. Angling is all things to all men. So on the grand scale of things it really doesn't matter a jot!

But to a non fanatical carper the carp record has become about as boring as my posts, Tim Henmans tennis tribulations, David Beckhams love life and Man-U!

It is almost as if carpers are in a queue for their turn at the carp record. Bit like shooting big game in a wild-life park, a very hollow victory indeed.

And is it worth claiming? By the time a record is varified the same fish has been caught again! The record depending on whether the fish has had a good cr*p or not prior to being caught! And that was Dick Walkers contention too!

The same devaluation has taken place within piking with Nige Williams, and others, chasing known bigguns.

Okay, so some folk will disagree, but I think the whole record situation with barbel, carp and pike is fast becoming very shallow indeed.

To be honest I think that the carp record, especially, has become one of the most meaningless achievements in angling today.

As for the pike record, it was caught by Tommy Morgan. So thats the present pike 'record' out the door!!

[ 01. July 2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

records full stop are becoming more trival with ever new one. a friend of mine went on a days guided barbel fishing this week with someone who is becoming more and more obsessed about landing a record boris, seems to me people like that miss out on the enjoyment of fishing itself.

me:

A fish wont eat for 2 days after been caught. [that's what I heard].

Not true at all. I have released chub and watched them rejoin the shoal and start on the loosfeed again. Skate anglers have even caught/tagged/released fish to only catch the same tagged fish 20 minutes later.

I know where the next record carp is coming from....................I,m breeding it, in a ruddy great tin bath in my shed.

When I work out how to get water running at the right pace in my other tin bath, I,m going for the barbel record.

I think to be truly authentic, it should be caught in running water. :rolleyes:

These "anglers" aren,t chasing records, they are chasing sponsors.

As for the barbel Guide, how sad. :P

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

theres nothing wrong with hunting a record fish its what specimen angling is all about,but to catch the same fish twice is boring(especially when he blantatly see it feeding in the edge and went for it),some do become obbsessed thast down to them ,damn i become obbssed when i get to many blanks, its what keeps me fishing!!desire and determination,cranfeild i also i agree with you mate some are chasing sponsorship.at the end of the day its swings and roundabouts,ifit had been adiffrent angler it wouldnt matter,it would be well done mate hard water that,nice fish.as for the care of the fish on the bank,that was never in question.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I don't doubt that Two-Tone is a difficult fish to catch, or that she is well looked after by the Conningbrook regulars who keep on catching her. What I would like to see is a rule that says no individual fish may beat its own record: this would be quite easy to achieve if the ratification required the provision of a scale from the record fish to be submitted with the claim. Part of the interest in records is about which is the biggest fish (rather that who caught it). If Two-Tone comes out again, next week, at 65lb, it is still the same fish that is the biggest and, therefore, it should not be a new record.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

i get ya pango mate,this is true a fish should only be able to beat the record once,im waiting for the day a water throws up an uncaught monster(and i beleive it could well happen)some unknown ressie/lake throws up a brit 60lb common!!

btw the perch record is a classic,many would love to hold that one,but a schoolboy, on a day ticket water with crude tackle caught it,that one was about who caught it ,as it just goes to show suprise's are everywhere,who would have thought a commercial carp water could throw up a monster to rival the crayfish munching great ouse monsters!

[ 02. July 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I agree with Pangolin on this. Let's hope there is a lake somewhere not fished much etc that has an absolute whopper of a carp in it and a pleasure angler actually ends up catching it whilst fishing for gudgeon :D

James

Ratty46:

btw the perch record is a classic,many would love to hold that one,but a schoolboy, on a day ticket water with crude tackle caught it,that one was about who caught it ,as it just goes to show suprise's are everywhere,who would have thought a commercial carp water could throw up a monster to rival the crayfish munching great ouse monsters!

I certainly agree that it was great that a youngster broke the perch record.

However, it's no surprise it came from a commercial carp water. In fact I've long predicted just this - see for instance this article of mine: http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve01.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net