Two-Tone (again)

Pangolin

quote:

Originally posted by allibee:

[QB

One has to say re only one shot at the title, if Linford Christie had broken the 100 metres with a time of 9.6 and had become the world record holder, would you have said "tough" to him if he then did a 9.58 time?

By the way, hi everyone :) [/QB]

Hi alli

If all Linford had to do to earn the new record was to skip eating for 2 days then, yeah, tough

Seriously tho, it all sounds a bit random to me. Two-tone swims around eating, sometimes the meal has a hook in it. Sometimes she's well fed or spawn-laden. Anyone who gets a thrill about catching that fish at exactly the right moment in its weight cycle may be missing the point. That it's a great fishing experience I've no doubt, but a few ounces here or there? Who cares, and why should anyone care unless they're sad candidates for "I'm A Celebrity, Fetch Me a Crab+Mussel Boilie"?

I suppose a truer analogy might be where there was no wind-assistance restriction on sprint records. Linford goes out and sets a new record in a following gale ... big deal.

cheers

Glenn

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allibee

Hi Glenn

That would depend on whether Linford chose to have a double, bellybuster Madras just before his fasting ... plenty of following wind there methinks :)

Linford chooses (chose anyway, LOL) to try and beat the record with every race. Two Tone is just there doing her thing, as you say, feeding away on stuff that sometimes may have a hook in it. She doesn't choose to be caught "it's a fair cop guv" :) One would be crediting her far too much intelligence if we said she knew there was a hook/danger associated with her grub. She's a big girl, gets through a lot of food a day, times that by the days she's not caught in a year and there is every likelihood that she has forgotton the danger between captures. It doesn't make her a mug fish imho.

But why bother having records at all if only certain fish are eligible and certain fish aren't?

Whatever the fish, whatever the weight, if it's the heaviest in the land then it is just that, the heaviest, and it doesn't matter what it's name is...

But at the same time, I have often thought that the true record of achievement is held by the captors conscience and ego ... as in The Black Mirror and other close season captures elsewhere.

Really records are all down to an individuals perception of them ... I shall refrain from mentioning catfish at this juncture

[ 07. July 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: allibee ]

allibee:

... I shall refrain from mentioning catfish at this juncture    

I recently went to Spain and did me some cattin' and it's drained my carpin' desire. Must speak to Budgie about this, he'll know what to do.

Sorry - back to the subject, chaps.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

allibee:

It's also said that old fish tend to come out a lot more for a while before they pop their clogs, sadly

Perhaps thats why they pop their clogs.

I think that the magic of a carp record has been lost because it has become so very predicable and artificial.

If Linford Christy were to break his own record by .02 of a second it would be down to incredible effort and dedication, not just a few extra boilies, or being spawn laden and not having had a good pull-through for a fortnight!

Peter Waller:

and not having had a good pull-through for a fortnight!
Peter! Kindly desist from your Naarich gutter-slang, Sir!

We have laydeez among us, after all.

Ahem.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Ladies are equel to men Terry! Actually, I thought it quite polite! Knowing ladies are present I didn't say what I might have said! And 'defecate' might not have been understood by by one or two of our more basic friends, like wot live darn sarf of the Thames!!

Guest allibee

Can't get much more darn sarf than where I live on the Sussex coast Peter

As I said before though, it will always remain a personal thing.

Is it a record because that guy fished the close season?

Is it a record because that guy can get onto an exclusive water not open to others?

Is it a record because only boilies and high oil trout pellets are allowed on a water?

Is it a record because it's a mirror, a dink, a galacian, a common, a fully scaled, a mutated irish fully scaled that is more like a common... ?

Ad infinitum

I mean, where do you stop?

The only reason she is constantly targetted is that she is the only known fish in her class in the country

There is only one Lennox Lewis :)

Alibee, you are talking rubbish, you are wrong on all counts....I know because I fish there.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest allibee

errr

I think you'll find I am referring to records generally, continuing from my previous posts of what kind of fish are allowed or not to constitute a record

It is a hypothetical guy with a hypothetical fish

One would have thought that was obvious ... apparently not to everyone

quote:

But why bother having records at all if only certain fish are eligible and certain fish aren't?

Nice to meet you too

[ 07. July 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: allibee ]

I think, Den, that Allibee has raised a few good points.

I could go seatrout fishing for pike on the Norfolk Broads during the close season. One or two well known commercial guides have admitted doing it, so why not me!! I might just catch a 48 pounder. But, surely, it would be disallowed for being caught during the close season? Yet, if I were to catch a 48 pounder from a lake, with no close season, then it would be allowed, wouldn't it?