The Taste Of A Hook

Gaffer

All I will say to that Budgie, and I know you are a respected angler with many years experience, as an analogy, try putting a coin in your mouth along with a toffee. You would be aware that something is not right and spit it out, would you not?

I like to keep things simple, as can been seen from one or two of my previous posts.

But sometimes, someone, in this instance Gaffer, has posted something thought-provoking and I aplaud him for it!

I would much sooner respond to such a thread than the usual "wot if da best rod" one all too often sees posted around the net!

Edited by TheMargins

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to agree with Budgie on this one.

Hooks are artificial, but no more so than the line and, very often the bait. Personally, if there is a problem, I think it is more likely to be the feel of the line leading to the hook. But, since we need both hooks and lines, we can only do our best to reduce the possible problems. I have a theory, where pike are concerned, that pop-ups are bad news because, as a pike sometimes comes from below, it will encounter the line before the bait. So, where possible, I don't pop up my baits, I suspend them. Fanciful thinking? You decide.

For sure Margins a much more interesting thread and as often Gaffer has got us all thinking. But after having given it some thought those are my veiws,right or wrong! I read these threads hoping that people dont agree with me and can put over an alternative view well enough to change or at least challenge my veiws.Thats how I learn!

One of the greatest things carp angling has brought to angling in general is the amount of thought SOME participents put into it, the WORST thing as well is the total lack of thought others give to it!

Long may people think about whats happening but I just get the impression that many over complicate or more acurately try to solve problems before they occur rather than getting to grips with the basics because it is seen as the done thing.

On a similar vein do you remember the theory from Tim Paisley(?) about the electric feild set up between a lead and the hook that carp could "detect"? I didnt rate that either as even my very basic (failed O level Physics!) knowledge showed a lot of the "science bits" to be wrong.

Of course it could simply be that over the years I have been able to master the basics to a level sufficient enough to catch enough to keep me happy thus making me "rest on my laurels" and stop me from being more questioning!? If this wasnt the case then maybe I would be a Carp Superstar or at least dissapear up my own back side in the attempt! :lol:

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Having been underwater, and listened to the sound of a bite alarm being transmitted down the taunt line, I can only assume that carp are rather thick! A separate sounder box is an obvious solution. But does it really matter? Perhaps the constant adjusting of reels and line, and the consequential squawk of an alarm, mean nothing to a carp, especially deaf carp.

Pike, on the other hand, being intelligent fish, have given rise to drop back alarms, another solution, albeit not perfect.

Having been underwater, and listened to the sound of a bite alarm being transmitted down the taunt line

I know that carp aren't your favourites, Peter, but to go to the extent of setting up some underwater communication system purely to hurl abuse at them - really! :rolleyes:

I mentioned above our limited 5 senses! Try going beyond what taste means to you MALC2. Gaffer is obviously a thinking angler - always looking for that certain edge that will fool the specimen fish, be it carp or whatever!

Are you a specimen angler MALC2? Or are you happy fishing for pasties from an overstocked puddle?

If the latter, then I can understand your answer! :rolleyes:

The Margins i have just been reading some of your recent contributions on this site and all you seem to do is diagree with almost everything that is said you must be quite a sad person to be so self opinionated.As to your remark about pasties in over stocked puddles i have done that and woke up and moved on,i keep an open mind about all aspects of angling and this has helped me in my ralative success as a specimen angler,i urge you to do the same a then you may get more respect when posting in the future. B)

atb

malc

atb

malc

I know that carp aren't your favourites, Peter, but to go to the extent of setting up some underwater communication system purely to hurl abuse at them - really! :rolleyes:

Strangely enough, Dave, my slightly tongue in cheek comments are based on fact. As kids we used to stretch cotton between two empty tins, they made effective 'walkie talkies'! The noise that travels down the line is quite loud, and I'm not as well equipted to hear sound under water as a fish.

Me abuse carp? Never! Only the dreaded 'crap yobs'!

"i keep an open mind about all aspects of angling "

If thats the case mate, why are you questioning?

I only post on threads where I disagree with something that is posted, and where's the harm in that? Debate is healthy and thats what these forums are all about. Playing devils advocate can on occasion, spark even more healthy debate, so I'm all for that. If that makes me sad, fine!

It would be rather boring if everyone just agreed with everything said!

I see you've not been posting on here for long either? Do you think by merely agreeing with everyone, you will earn respect?