Which Budget Marker/spod Rod/reel Set Up?

RUDD

I am looking to buy marker rod/reel and spod rod/reel set ups.

Have been using some old beachcasters but one has now fallen apart!!!!!!!!!

Dont want anything fancy and like the look of fox warrior rods (50 quid each) as I already use warriors as main rods which I am very happy with.

I may be able to get Wychwood rogue (also 50.00) or their more expensive (80.00) spod marker rods at a discounted (around half price) price but dont know much about them.

With regards to reels a few people including tackle shop owners have told me to get cheap reels but the majority have said to go for a decent reel as marker and spod reels do alot more work than your main reels and get alot of wear and tear. With this in mind I am looking at shimano aerlex models which I could get at 55.00 each but have been told to go for daiwa emcasts which have alot more bearings and will last longer. I have been quoted 95.00 for a pair.

Has anyone used any of the models or have any recomendations?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rudd,

How far do you intend to be chucking on a regular basis and with what size spod? Like you, I’ve always ‘made do’ with a stiff 2.5tc carp rod for all my spodding (even though I do actually have a spod rod somewhere) and as long as I have a decent leader its always been fine – just asking the question as to weather you need a ‘spod’ rod? Also, I much prefer to use a small spod as they are better for shallower water and IMO give a better spread than a big rocket, as such a decent carp rod can chuck them with ease – even my little 2.25TC rod chucks a little spod with ease.

The half price rods you mention should be fine I would have thought. To be honest though, I would not spend a fortune on reels. My marker rod and spod rods get abused quite a bit so I have dead old knackered reels on each. They don’t have to be special – as long as they wind in they are doing their job. If you do want to go for quality reels I’d get a couple of second hand ones of ebay rather than buying new just for spodding.

As for as other options, I know a few people who have had cheap rods of Dragon but I could not comment personally as I’ve never seen the stuff in the flesh – but it is cheap!

https://prossl.co.uk/dragoncarpdirect.com/a...carp_reels.html

https://prossl.co.uk/dragoncarpdirect.com/a..._carp_rods.html

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I can see what you are getting at julian.

I might just get a 3lb TC Warrior and use it for small spods and distance carping.

I will have to have a think on this one as I have been using the old beachcasters which have been fine.

RUDD

I would just like to say Rudd, i know you have the Fox Warrior rods that you use for, I assume carp fishing. However the make up of a spod or marker rod is different! Its not just about test curves it is in the make up of the rod.

Until recently I had a Fox Warrior 3lb tc rod which I bought as a 4th rod when I fish in France, I did'nt like the feel of it against my other rods, so used it as a marker rod for a few months.

I persevered, but just could not get on with it, so I literally gave it away!

I now have a Greys Distance Marker and it is superb - a totally different feel about it - because it and the Greys spod rod are designed to do the job!

Each to their own, but I'd think again about making do mate. ;)

Edited by TheMargins

TM,

I see what you are saying, hence my question about the amount of use, and whilst your point is a good one, it could be like saying that a Porsche 911 is a well put together car and would be ‘best’ for the job - but if you only drive one mile and back to Tesco’s each week a Nissan Micra would be much better.

Also, I agree that good rods are built to do a specific job, although the question related to budget end and I’ve actually seen the same blank dressed up as three different products before now - exactly the same blank with different stickers on being sold as a carp, marker and spod rod – so the same does not always apply.

As I say, I’ve actually got decent hand-built marker and spod rods, but I find that I get better versatility from using stiff carp rod which can be turned to almost any use, including fishing it, when needed.

Cheers…

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

oi oi i dont have a lot of money to spend & most of my stuff come's from dragon carp or used tackle same dealers & im quite happy with there product's but it's up to the indevidual.

i dont do see fishing any more (trough dissabillity) but i kept an old short boat rod for spodding like josh said not fashonable or ment for the job but hey it work's for me.

:lol::lol::lol:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

oi oi i dont have a lot of money to spend & most of my stuff come's from dragon carp or used tackle same dealers & im quite happy with there product's but it's up to the indevidual.

i dont do see fishing any more (trough dissabillity) but i kept an old short boat rod for spodding like josh said not fashonable or ment for the job but hey it work's for me.

:lol::lol::lol:

I now only have one beachcasting rod left due to using the other two for purposes they were not designed for.

RUDD