The good old days ? ? ?

Guest Silver Back

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Summer, how right you are. I am making conscious efforts to enjoy what we have. In certain areas I can be a bit nostalgic. However one is not much on nostalgia, so I can mix old and new as it suits me with out feeling I am in some way letting my 'morality' down.

To indulge in 'old' is purer pleasure, my boat KT, she is not that old but her concept is the last of the big and steady thinking. However, electronics are up to date giving me an edge, I think. I and my Partner Hazel also get great pleasure in using her as a retreat. Then there is the pleasure of having friends on board, usually anglers. Hazel keeps the tea pot on, the bacon sizzling and snorkers, she enjoys it, we enjoy the company, the guests definatly enjoy it. :D

Strange what you say about bait, shore anglers always seem to make much more of variety? I value fresh, but have paired it down over the past couple of years to, rag, lug in the summer and almost exclusively squid in the winter, not any old squid though, oh no. I have to buy what I use in 11kg boxes, usually 2 boxes at a time. Talking to commercial friends and acquaintances, they have all noticed a preference or just as good catches on unwashed squid. It does not seem to work off the beach however.

One will be trying fresh Mackerel and live sand eel next year, KT has the facility and room to set up a live bait tank. Strange how crab as a boat bait seems to be in decline around Felixstowe (my kneck of the woods). Used to be a guarantee for smoothound, last two years, squid has been as good, if not better. Fish are getting smaller though, most are single figures, three/four years back doubles were the norm on hard backs.

Down the boat this weekend, couple of those friends mentioned are mucking in with a roller and a couple of coat of anti-foul.

Funny old business this fishing for 'pleasure', anyone for a bacon sarnie! :D

CJS2

Guest jay_con

CJS2:

:)

Strange what you say about bait, shore anglers always seem to make much more of variety? I value fresh, but have paired it down over the past couple of years to, rag, lug in the summer and almost exclusively squid in the winter, not any old squid though,

Tell me about it. I remember fishing a mark last jan/feb with big cod. I stood there thinking "I have every bait that will work in my bag, If there are any fish here tonight I will catch them before

him." Then he pulled out a couple of scabby hermit crabs of all things, he caught four fish weighing 17 pound in total in his last 4 or 5 casts of the night and won the match whilst I managed a pout of about 10 ounces. All those yaers of knowledge shone through that night.

Another lesson learnt and noted in the little blue book.

"Fully comprehending the extent of environmental change over generations is hampered by the problem of “shifting baselines,” say the authors of a new paper."

See:

http://www.seaweb.org/resources/91update/91update.html

"Bass come by shoales so neare ye shore, that cartloads have been taken at a draught, some of them a yard long or more. Red and Grey Mullet, Turbots, Soles, Flounders, Bream and Sea Carp, Rays all of which are brought to the market and sold at a very low price." John Poingdestre writing in Jersey c. 1682

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

At least in some parts of the world, Sea carp = Nemadactylus valenciennesi which are also called

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hiya,

Seems a strange name for a ballan wrasse and I would have thought a Ballan would have been out of place on that list of fish he gave.

Any chance it could have been some other species Stan????

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"