Moving house, moving email

I am due to move house in a week. It is a move between vicarages, and each house has a live BT line. I don't have a smart phone. My broadband is with EE, and they had told me that I could arrange the transfer of broadband in advance so it comes on straight away after the move as long as I do it within 10 days of the move.

But I tried today and they said this would only apply if my new phone line was with EE, otherwise I would lose my access to broadband at my current address. Grrrrr! They say I will have to wait to arrange it till I move, and then there will be a delay of up to 7-10 (working?) days before I get broadband at the new address as an engineer has to go to the exchange and physically connect a wire.

Any comments? The technology sounds very 'dark ages', and it seems that many people moving house must suffer this lack of ability to access communications at a time of stress when being able to communicate must be doubly important. The people I spoke to at EE didn't seem to undrestand what was going on themselves. Should I have asked if, rather than doing a 'home move' I could close the existing account from my move date, and start a completely new account from the day after, to be booked in advance?

I guess we will be able to access emails at the library, but I don't have wifi so will need to use their computers - for which I shall admittedly be very grateful. But it would be better if I could load the emails up into Thunderbird. Would I be able to connect my computer (I use a laptop) to a neighbour's telephone line and load into Thunderbird? I imagine there would be a mismatch between their phone number and the phone number expected by my computer?

Thanks for any advice.

John

john clarke

Is the email address wih EE ? If so then closing the account will remove the email.

If email is with someone else like gmail or hotmail or even your own website then where you connect from wont matter to thunderbird. Even better is most email providers have a webmail you can access anywhere

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy, { my hero :notworthy: } would i be able to install thunderbird even though i use windows live ?

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

yes but you will have email split between two programs since you have it setup to delete emails from the server once you have them in windows live.

at 1pm you use windows live and receive an email.

at 2pm you use thunderbird and receive an email but not the previous email at 1pm because its on windows live.

you then go on to windows live and you wont have the email you received at 2pm because its on thunderbird.

Is the email address wih EE ? If so then closing the account will remove the email.

If email is with someone else like gmail or hotmail or even your own website then where you connect from wont matter to thunderbird. Even better is most email providers have a webmail you can access anywhere

Thanks, Andy. Yes, my email address is with EE. So what you are saying is that, if I close the account but open a new one at the new house, they won't let me use the same email address? (I can partly understand that. My email is an old freeserve one. Freeserve were taken over by Orange who were taken over by EE.) I can access my emails through webmail (ie through the EE website - I assume that counts as webmail?), but I have it set to transfer them into Thunderbird.

Am I right that it must be a normal thing for people to have to go without email for a week when they move house?

J

john clarke

Thanks, Andy. Yes, my email address is with EE. So what you are saying is that, if I close the account but open a new one at the new house, they won't let me use the same email address? (I can partly understand that. My email is an old freeserve one. Freeserve were taken over by Orange who were taken over by EE.) I can access my emails through webmail (ie through the EE website - I assume that counts as webmail?), but I have it set to transfer them into Thunderbird.

Am I right that it must be a normal thing for people to have to go without email for a week when they move house?

J

The way I understand it is they keep the same account and just update your new home address and send an engineer out so there should in theory be no change to your account or emails apart from home address ?.

when you said "But I tried today and they said this would only apply if my new phone line was with EE, otherwise I would lose my access to broadband at my current address."

this is just the phone line that will get disconnected not your actual account I suspect the account with its email will remain accessible even from a different connection while they make the changes to get you connected at the new address. I regularly access my emails from several different connections. just check this with EE first though.

Thunderbird is of no consequence as thunderbird accesses EE email server to 'retrieve' your emails so you can log in to EE website(webmail) to view the emails even if your physical internet connection has been disconnected.

Sorry starting to confuse myself here I hope you gather what im saying :crazy: