For Those That Want A Nice New Centrepin

Elton

But £250.00 for a reel!! As my wife has just pointed out B&Q do a very nice new bathroom suite for less than that! Thinking about it, for that sort of money I could buy three mountain bikes, a small outboard engine, three colour televisions, a pretty good camera, three DVD players, 5 weeks food shoping for two of us, two video cameras, a week in Spain, seven return tickets from Norwich to Amsterdam and doubtless many other 'bargains'! Sort of makes a nice new Youngs reel a pretty poor value purchase :(.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

Sort of makes a nice new Youngs reel a pretty poor value purchase   :( .

Well I "only" paid £199 for mine, but I consider it the best peice of tackle I own, and well worth the money

When I started getting interested in using a centrepin I went the route most people do I guess, and bought a cheap one - a leeds, then moved on to a trudex, and then a speedia, both from Ebay.

All I can say is that after using several 'pins for a few years, the 'BJ' is simply a pleasure to use.

As to value for money, well £200 for a reel that with a little care I'm sure will last me the rest of my life seems reasonable enough to me! (Especially as the wife paid for it)

Mat

I'm not saying that they are not good reels! Far from it. I bought mine from Lathams of Potter Heigham, for rather less than I have seen advertised lately. They don't come much better! But personally I prefer my Adcock Stanton as a fishing tool.

Peter,

The difference is that your bathroom suit, tellys and especially food are worthless after 10 years. Still get your £250 back for your pin though.

I am waiting for two new ones by Chris Lythe that I ordered last summer. Yes a lot of money but worth every penny.

Mat,

I'd appreciate that PM if you don't mind. I was trawling around yesterday trying to find the BJ lightweight, best one for price was at £265 ish but haven't ordered yet. A Chris Lythe, now we're talking (or so I've heard) but I knew the waiting times were in years not months.

Two of my current 'pins will be sold to part fund the new one and, as has been pointed at, if I like the reel half as much as my Allcocks Match Aerial it will last for my fishing lifetime.

I checked out Eltons link to tackle bargains but they don't appear to sell the BJ lightweight so I don't see a problem there.

Paul

These Chris Lythe reels have got a pretty good following on AN! What makes them so special? It's not a reel that I'm familiar with although I think I saw them at Chatsworth.

A matching pair of pins! How's that for a new concept!!

Have to admit to using two 'pins / rods at a time when piking but for most 'pin use have always regarded them as a rod in the hand option.

[ 15. April 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Yup most could CP's appreciate with age - can't say that about many other items of tackle. I got a Paul Witcher aerial a year or so back ( you'll think I need my head examined if I told you how much I paid ). The reel is a joy to use and alas, Paul has decided to jack it in (poor 'ole Spindle had is deposit returned :( ) so if I ever wan't to sell it I could probably double my money on it!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Peter,

Chris Lythe is a true engineer and craftsman. His pins are "true pins" no bearings. His floats are works of art too.

I fish two rods most of the time when after barbel, it matters not whether I use pins or fixed spool on most rivers, Couldnt use the pins on the tidal Trent or Severn though, bit big.