For Those That Want A Nice New Centrepin

Elton

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know which is more efficient Peter, I think ball bearing jobs are fine and true pins are fine. Given the choise though I would always go for a true pin. Strange lot traditionalists, value things for unexplainable reasons. Maybe something to do with the memories of the time when this country could actually make all sorts of good quality stuff, I dont know.

Mat Hillman:

theres some great pictures of the chris lythe reels on his website at

http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk/

I did seriously consider one,  but decided that I was far too impatient to wait for the delivery times people seem to be mentioning!

Nice link, ideal for drooling at cane as well!!

I prefer true pins also Peter, but it depends on how you fish as to whether it might make a difference. It is more to do with (IMO) the misconception of 'free-running' and 'spins for ages' being the be all and end all.

Extracted from the article I wrote a while ago :

"Surely a centrepin needs to be free to revolve but with the speed controlled by the angler, by the fish, or by the flow? One thing a c'pin does not need is weight and an action like a flywheel, where momentum of the revolving drum will overshadow the requirements - you cannot push string after all.

I believe a c'pin should be free to rotate of course, and to start rotating with the minimum of effort applied. This suggests to me that a free-running lightweight drum is far more important than one that 'runs forever'. "

I use my pins for barbelling, and as such I do *not* want free running. In fact I find 3-in-1 oil just right to make my true pins run as I like. If I was trotting I would lubricate with GT85 (with teflon/PTFE) but the point about pushing string is still valid.

I have no pins with ball-bearings but I know many who use them without problem, so it is just getting used to it to get the best out of it.

paul

Look at the icons to the right of the posted date, the edit icon is the second from the right for future reference.

Paul

I'll go along with that, I recall a friend of mine gettin on my case for spending £140 in a rod - he fishes with a pole, which cost him £1500+

my next purchase....and yes I've been given permission, will be a top end 'pin...either the Youngs Heritage, or the Bob James :D

roll on june 16th....

[ 15. April 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields