Winter Pike

Newt

'Ungracious might be a better term to have used. I didn't, personally, see it as bad manners to question the weight in the manner in which it was worded. Unnecessary perhaps, bad manners, maybe not'

I said what I felt was right within a forum that promotes healthy discussion. I called no-one names, suggested that no-one cheated or lied. Just expressed an opinion as to the size of the fish and gave my reasons and I congratulated Hoppy on what is still a nice fish and HIS fish of a lifetime. If that was wrong, then are we to accept all that we see or hear on forums as gospel ?

Your antics on-line in the last few years have occasionally proved less than honourable and your less than complimentary comments about others has become a way of life, so please spare us the 'gentlemanly conduct' crap' or I'll publically remind you of some of the sad things that you've indulged in. Face it, even by your typically supercillious standards, the above rates as gobbledegook. I doubt if anyone truthfully has a clue as to what it means, other than an attempt to start a bit of Sunday evening verbal pushing and shoving. No dice.

Budgie's last comments were on the money.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fudgie's fish is a croc, but the picture is misleading as it it is held away from the body and the lens is verging on wide angle. A hard one to compare.

Hoppy, what sort of scales did you use?

Infact I would say that Fudgies fish photograph is totally misleading. Anyone know how long Fudgie's fish was?

Peter, the picture of my fish is not being held away from my body. If you look closely I am holding it with two hands. One chin held and the other hand grabbing my wrist as it was so heavy. The fish is only a few inches out from my body.

This fish was 47" long and had a girth of 29.5 inches. What exactly were the measurements of this pike?

Edited by Mc Fudge

As this has started a debate that I could not have imagined, I give the following info. The scales used are the German equivlent to the Bass Pro $5.99 current sale price version. This is a cheep set of scales by price, but have proven to be very accurate. I will not tell anyone that they are not in titled to an opinion, but as stated previously, the facts are! As this was my first submission of one my photos, I am surprised. I am a fisherman and feel that to overstate the size or quanity will not make me a Better One! I have been a member of this and other forums for a while and do not make comments just to see my name in print. Thank for the well wishes from those who did and to others I wish you Well!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

As this has started a debate that I could not have imagined, I give the following info. The scales used are the German equivlent to the Bass Pro $5.99 current sale price version. This is a cheep set of scales by price, but have proven to be very accurate. I will not tell anyone that they are not in titled to an opinion, but as stated previously, the facts are! As this was my first submission of one my photos, I am surprised. I am a fisherman and feel that to overstate the size or quanity will not make me a Better One! I have been a member of this and other forums for a while and do not make comments just to see my name in print. Thank for the well wishes from those who did and to others I wish you Well!

HOPPY4

Hoppy, I dont think that you are telling lies. I do think you have made a mistake somewhere during the weighing of the fish though. You would not have been the first and certainly not the last to do this. It is a tremendous fish though and a very big well done.

Basically you rely on the honesty of the person involved with the capture of a big fish,especially if if there are no witnesses present?.Sadly there are very few captures of 19, 29, and 39 pound pike or carp.I would like to think it was the size stated Lovely fish! :)

Wanna buy some pegs dave..

Great fish Hoppy! Personally, I know without any question that it is impossible to be certain of a fish's size, or rather lack of size from a photograph. I've witnessed a few big pike too, and I'm surprised that some of the more experienced doubters haven't picked up on the sheer shape and look of this fish. Big pike, I mean really big pike, have a certain head shape and carriage of the fins, and to me this looks to be a really big pike.

Most of those that are doubting you are probably genuinely sceptical, one or two are just jealous. The main thing is that you know what your pike weighed. I'd ignore those who have raised doubts, and enjoy the heartfelt congratulations from those that haven't.

Like others have said, I find your unbridled joy and exuberance, and that winning smile, so clear to see in your pictures, to be a wholesome breath of fresh air.

Good on ya!! :)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Great fish Hoppy! Personally, I know without any question that it is impossible to be certain of a fish's size, or rather lack of size from a photograph. I've witnessed a few big pike too, and I'm surprised that some of the more experienced doubters haven't picked up on the sheer shape and look of this fish. Big pike, I mean really big pike, have a certain head shape and carriage of the fins, and to me this looks to be a really big pike.

Most of those that are doubting you are probably genuinely sceptical, one or two are just jealous. The main thing is that you know what your pike weighed. I'd ignore those who have raised doubts, and enjoy the heartfelt congratulations from those that haven't.

Like others have said, I find your unbridled joy and exuberance, and that winning smile, so clear to see in your pictures, to be a wholesome breath of fresh air.

Good on ya!! :)

As you say Chris it is undoubtably a very big fish indeed. Was there any measurements taken???? It looks like it could have the length, but its the girth that gives me doubts. Like you say its impossible to say either way by looking at a picture alone.

I've used this example to demonstrate the point on the PnP forum a few times in the past when people have doubted someones claimed weight. Anybody that hasn't seen it before care to make a guess at this pike's weight?

test.jpg

'As you say Chris it is undoubtably a very big fish indeed....'

It's got that certain look about it to me Al??

I'll admit that if I'd been asked to guess it's weight, I probably wouldn't have estimated it at 44lbs, but I'm happy to take Hoppy's word.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'