Winter Pike

Newt

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerry, Argyll, I was not critiscising your manners. I made the point, in response to Brumagin Phil's comment, that I did not see anyone's questioning of Hoppy's fish as being bad mannered. However I did make the point that I see it as ungracious that anyone should have wished to burst his bubble. You have chosen to take that remark personally, it was not intended that way.

Fudgie, I would class, in 35mm terms, anything wider than a 40mm lens as 'verging on wide angle'. Yours was a cracking fish that deserved far greater coverage in the weeklies than it received. But, and credit to you, the fish was not cradled close to your body as was Hoppy's. Your picture very clearly emphasised your fish, Hoppy's does not. Different styles of photography. You have used perspective and differential focusing to its full advantage. In no way was I critiscising you personally. In no way do I want to detract from your achievement, an incredible event.

Hoppy, I am not familiar with the scales that you mention. Tell me, does the needle go round the dial once for ten pounds, twice for twenty, three times for thirty, and so on? I don't doubt the length but some very experienced pikers are doubting the weight. If your scales are twice round the block for twenty then it is incredibly easy to get it wrong, probably we have all done that at one time or another. I'm asking this, Hoppy, because I know that others will be wondering as well!

Are these the scales, Hoppy?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...arTarget=browse

We have them in this country, marketted by Shakespeare, amongst others.

I've used this example to demonstrate the point on the PnP forum a few times in the past when people have doubted someones claimed weight. Anybody that hasn't seen it before care to make a guess at this pike's weight?

test.jpg

Just for fun --- 18lbs ?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Hi Peter, the fish in my pic was actually only about 8" from my body. I am on my knees as you can see in the pic. Im 6ft standing and probably about 4" kneeling. The pike was almost 4 feet in length so its not as decieving as you might think.

I have got a couple of good shots holding it vertically if anyone can put them on for me.

Thanks for the kind words Peter. ;)

I was seriously impressed, and seriously envious. That it didn't make front page was just amazing.

By the way, only 8" can be a life changing experience.

Edited by Peter Waller

Guest Brumagem Phil

Peter,

Bad mannered or ungracious.......not really an awful lot of difference to be fair, both variations on the same theme.

I wonder how the "knockers" would feel if those kind of responses were aimed in their direction after they'd caught a fish of a lifetime? Ok, maybe they do doubt the size, but rather than p*ss on this fellahs bonfire, I think they should have kept their thoughts to themselves.

Thats my opinion anyway, but if others feel their right of free speach is more important than someone elses feelings then so be it.

A pike that exceeds or hits the 20 kilo level is a stunning pike. A specimenfish that, among others, will be noticed in all of fishing Europe. Therefore it will be examined, admired and debated, by all rihgts. Especially when photos are published... I mean no harm or disrespect by questioning its weight, the length seems correct, but I am sorry, theese pictures does not make it easy to believe that it is a pike that weighs 20 kilos. Thats all I´m going to say. If I´m wrong I will be most happy, if I´m rihgt I will be very sorry. Once again, a lovely fish, Well done either way...

Peter Waller, that is correct as the example of said scales. One problem is that I did have a witness and he took the picture as stated in the original POST!

HOPPY4

HOPPY