memory in line

bettsybetts

Yo dudes

I have just put some 15lb mono on a reel to use as a spare, I thought I had loaded it the right way but it started to spring out all over the place so I cut it back a bit and tied a knot to keep it tight. My question is how long will it take to re memorize (is that even a word☺) I shall not be using it for around two months. Is that enough time?????

Cheers

You can avoid line memory issues completely if you use braid.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I agree with andy bit of warm water and a tiny drop of washing up liquid to help it cut through the surface tension once cast

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Bettsy,

First, "you thought you" may be your mistake. The line goes onto the reel spool the same direction it comes off the manufacturers spool. That is if you have a spinning reel.

If it is twisting enough that it ends up looking like the eye of a needle it is probably backwards. How much did you put on the reel (yards). Because the spools are of a different size a little "line twist" can be corrected if you want to go to the trouble. Go to the park and pull off (100yds) line. Drop it in the grass and reel back in. It will untwist on its own as you reel it in.

the finest line (mono) in the world can suffer line twist. I don't have a good mental image of what you mean by "it started to spring out all over the place". It's possible it is not worth the effort.

Phone

Or buy better line....

"Better" how?

Soft expensive monos are easy to fish with but the hard springy formulation (there are only two basic types of mono) has less stretch, is generally much cheaper and has much better abrasion resistance.

For hook links and float fishing, I pay for the soft stuff because it handles better. For saltwater fishing, predator angling (when I'm not using braid) or if I were fishing baits in waters with features like mussel beds, I'd go with the cheap stuff any day of they week.

bettsybetts; Does your spare spool not have a line clip? If it does, that,s the immediate solution to your problem. Failing that, just loop an elastic band onto other end of the line and then wrap it a couple of times around the spool.

I never did understand reel manufacturers giving away reel cases (OK, for reels that live in a creel, it makes sense) when in many cases reels live on rods. I never did see a spare spool case though - something that might actually be useful for keeping line on the spool, away from light and away from hooks etc that are prone to tangling with spare spools.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.