New laptop needed, Kirisute?

Manxman

I'm in need of some advice, I'll ask the experts because I know about little laptops. My sister has got into photography and is using CS 5 portable on her very old Acer. The portable version of CS 5 has limited functionality. She's asked me to find her a new laptop and when she visits us at the end of April I will install the full version of CS5 and other software on the new laptop.

What do I advise her to buy?

Prefer a 17 inch display, but 15 would suffice.

Intel i3 processor or Amd equivalent.

8Gb ram.

All the laptops I've looked at are running Windows 8.1 which she is willing to try, but if she doesn't like it I can wipe it and install Win 7.

I've thought about this Acer Aspire E1-771 with a an upgrade of the Ram to 8GB.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_E1-771_Core_i3_4GB_500GB_17.3_inch_Windows_8.1_Laptop_NX.MG7EK.005/version.asp

She said about £500 but would go a bit higher.

So Kirisute and gentlemen, any recommendations?

Edited by Manxman

Recommendations

Don't touch an i3 or amd equivalent. The mobile versions just don't have the power they should have. You need i5 minimum.

Cs5 can take gpu hardware support so a video chipset would be nice if one could be found in budget.

Windows 8.1 with cs5 is absolutely fine! With 8.1 you can also boot direct to desktop so you hardly ever see the app interface anyway!

Avoid touchscreen gimmicks on laptops.

SSD will make a huge speed difference but will limit storage space for photos. An external solution would make a good backup device and compromise.

Acer are cheap but plasticky

Asus are ok but have a lot of 1st year failures recently.

Toshiba,hp,Lenovo,Sony you'll pay for brand but tend to get good build quality.

With all that in mind:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/703_7006_70006_0_ba00002921-bv00196057-ba00002522-bv00169428/1_3__xx-criteria.html

The extra £50 would be worth it in my book....but if you can find the same laptop cheaper then go for it!

Edited by kirisute

Thank you both for the quick responses. That HP looks just what she needs, she has an external drive already for storing all her images. So with this laptop she'll have all the room required plus more.

Thank you both.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Kirisute, the laptop is spot on and with some help from myself using Google she's very happy with Win 8.1. Maybe when she's over next month and I have look at it my idea's about Win 8 will change.

Come April 8th windows 8.1 will be getting an upgrade which adds a few extra bits like an easy access shutdown option and ability to snap apps to taskbar in desktop.

After that MS have announced that the start menu is returning! Whether that's an update to 8.1 or coming with windows 9 remains to be seen though!

I use the iobit start button it does pretty well what it did before it vanished

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson