Welsh Rivers - Dyfi (dovey) Or Ystwyth?

david t

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

No idea as I dont fly fish, but do know a spot on the dyfi where I saw LOADS of big fat fish in the summer...dunno what they were though.

Sorry its not much help, but if you want the location, then just ask............it'll cost you a decent guess as to what the fish were though :)

Yes ok, fire away? Dyfi is supposed to be good, for sea trout and a fair number of salmon, its just i cant really find out much about it.

Are we talking fish in the tidal range near Aberdyfi or up in the freshwater range.

For tidal i guess mullet or bass, or dolphins!!! ive seen dolphins just along that coast.

Freshwater i guess salmon?

thanks dave.

Yes ok, fire away? Dyfi is supposed to be good, for sea trout and a fair number of salmon, its just i cant really find out much about it.

Are we talking fish in the tidal range near Aberdyfi or up in the freshwater range.

For tidal i guess mullet or bass, or dolphins!!! ive seen dolphins just along that coast.

Freshwater i guess salmon?

thanks dave.

The Dovey is one of the finest rivers in Wales. It has a huge run of sea trout and decent salmon numbers. It is difficult to get on but the New Dovey Association do a weekly ticket. There is also a Hotel called the Brigands I think who have a stretch (not so good). No day tickets.

Those fish were most liekly a mixture of slamon and sea trout...the location?

The Dovey is one of the finest rivers in Wales. It has a huge run of sea trout and decent salmon numbers. It is difficult to get on but the New Dovey Association do a weekly ticket. There is also a Hotel called the Brigands I think who have a stretch (not so good). No day tickets.

Those fish were most liekly a mixture of slamon and sea trout...the location?

The Ystwyth is a lesser river but apparantly has good sea trout runs. You would be fishing at night mostly - not everyones cup of tea.

Thankyou Sewinman,

You see I do alot of coarse fishing, but as I am at university in Aberystwyth at the moment I would like to get into game fishing. I know that it is alot different to coarse fishing, but I would like to try it all the same, I also realise that myself, being a fly fishing novice shouldn't expect to catch much. I would like to find out abit about it in time for next season to give myself a chance. and hopefully by next season i will have had chance to aquire some flyfishing kit.

Am I being abit niave in attempting to fish the dovey as a fly fishing novice?

Thanks, dave.

Thankyou Sewinman,

You see I do alot of coarse fishing, but as I am at university in Aberystwyth at the moment I would like to get into game fishing. I know that it is alot different to coarse fishing, but I would like to try it all the same, I also realise that myself, being a fly fishing novice shouldn't expect to catch much. I would like to find out abit about it in time for next season to give myself a chance. and hopefully by next season i will have had chance to aquire some flyfishing kit.

Thanks, dave.

I don't think you are being niave - there are few better rivers. You may have trouble getting on the river as the club is pretty 'sewn up'. Best bet is to try the Ystwyth first. I suggest reading Sea trout Fishing By Hugh Falkus - you will get everything you need from that book to cacth sea trout. If you are just fishing for brown trout then try a floating line, some gold head nympths and a small strike indicator or bushy dry - it is like float fishing - search the web for 'New Zealand style' nymph fishing to learn more about it. You will need a 9-10 foot rod 'aftm' 6-7.

Re Nymph fishing see the following article - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part31.html

There are lots of other good articles. The New Zealnd style method involves a strike indicator (some fluff, bright putty or big bushy dry fly) attached to the 'leader', below that you tie one nymph to the end of the leader. You then tie some more nylon (leader) to the hook of the nymph, and attach another nymph to the end of that lengh.

Floating line-----strike indicator-----nymph------another nymph.

The lengh of the leader depends on the depth of the water. If you are constantly catching the bottom shorten it. If you are not catching or getting bites make it longer.

You wade in and cast this upstream trying to get the nymphs to 'dead drift' directly towards you i.e. the river sweeps them down to you naturally at the same speed as any other debri. You watch the strike indicator and if it stops, changed direction or pops under the water you strike (lift the rod quickly). You may well have a fish on. Its very effective and fun method of fishing.

p.s. it is best to you use the big bushy dry as the strike indicator as it can rise the odd fish. Again the leader should be tied to the shank of the hook.small_copper-john.jpg

Edited by Sewinman

Thanks, dave.

Dave,

I have long known and fished the rivers up and down the coast from Aber.

Do one thing: get in contact with Aberystwyth Angling Asssociation. Join it, indeed, next season.

The Association has some of the finest fly-fishers in Britain in its membership, and you will find them encouraging and VERY helpful to someone living in the area as you do.

I envy you the wonderful learning curve that you will be embarking on. Good luck.

PB

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Thankyou sewinman and paul,

You have both been very helpful. I may well get that sea trout book you mention. I am going to write to the dovey association, do you either of you know how much i should expect to pay per season?

Thankyou dave

Thankyou sewinman and paul,

You have both been very helpful. I may well get that sea trout book you mention. I am going to write to the dovey association, do you either of you know how much i should expect to pay per season?

Thankyou dave

Its about 500-600 a year i think. You can try but I know someone who has been on the waiting list for 12 years. You have to live in the area to qualify and I think Aber. is too far away.