Welsh Rivers - Dyfi (dovey) Or Ystwyth?

david t

Thankyou sewinman and paul,

You have both been very helpful. I may well get that sea trout book you mention. I am going to write to the dovey association, do you either of you know how much i should expect to pay per season?

Thankyou dave

The Dyfi / Dovey is an arm and a few legs, but this isn't:

http://www.aberystwyth-online.co.uk/fishin...sociation.shtml

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Oops, sorry, forgot i'd posted on this thread!

The location.......if you are driving away from the coast at aberdovey, after a few miles the road follows the line of the river (with the river on your right hand side)......you'll come to a junction at a bridge where a right turn takes you on the A487 to Machynlleth.

The fish are just at the edge here.....if i've not explained that too well, then if you are going WITH the current then they are just through the bridge spans on what would be your right hand side or of course going UPSTREAM they would be on the left hand side of the river just before the spans.

Plenty of em too....dunno about sizes of trout or salmon, but if they were carp then I'd gauge their size at up to lowish doubles.

Sorry about the delay replying.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

I cant fish the dovey then, £500 is beyond my wallet, but thankyou anyway sewinman. I looked at that link paul, I am quite interested in both Aber angling club and llanilar angling club, but im not sure which one, which one do you think has the better waters? I notice that Llanilar has alot of the ystwyth, but Aber has a few trout lakes too. will have to ring them.

Thanks for the link paul.

dave.

and the ystwyth is closer, which helps.

I cant fish the dovey then, £500 is beyond my wallet, but thankyou anyway sewinman. I looked at that link paul, I am quite interested in both Aber angling club and llanilar angling club, but im not sure which one, which one do you think has the better waters? I notice that Llanilar has alot of the ystwyth, but Aber has a few trout lakes too. will have to ring them.

Thanks for the link paul.

dave.

and the ystwyth is closer, which helps.

Go for Llanilar (the club has among its members some almost legendary names in Welsh flyfishing) and the Ystwyth, Dave. The river is a lot easier (and safer) to fish, not being subjected to the periodic releases of water from a hydroelectric plant that the Rheidol gets.

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Thanks paul,

I was thinking Llanilar, as they have 16 miles of the river, when does it fish best, start of season or end of season? are the sea trout in there most of the time?

Also on a different note, anyone recommend a good general fly fishing book to give me some pointers? I was looking at Bob churches book on trout flyfishing on amazon.co.uk, I want a book by a british author, as opposed to a american author, think it might be more relevant.

over christmas i hope to get to grips with the casting element, so im confident for the start of the season.

Thanks for advice. dave.

Thanks paul,

I was thinking Llanilar, as they have 16 miles of the river, when does it fish best, start of season or end of season? are the sea trout in there most of the time?

Also on a different note, anyone recommend a good general fly fishing book to give me some pointers? I was looking at Bob churches book on trout flyfishing on amazon.co.uk, I want a book by a british author, as opposed to a american author, think it might be more relevant.

over christmas i hope to get to grips with the casting element, so im confident for the start of the season.

Thanks for advice. dave.

Time? From early June onwards right through to the end of September. A few fish (sea-trout and salmon) run the river in April and especially May, and they tend to be large (but difficult to catch). There are always resident brown trout to try for in the early season - March and April can be excellent months for these.

Book? Look no further than "Successful Sea Trout Fishing" that heads the list on this page:

http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/fe/default.asp?n1=3&n2=310

Wonderful book, wish I had written it. Read it several times, and digest well.

You are starting on quite a journey, Dave!

PB

Thanks paul,

Yep it will be a challenge i think, but i would rather learn to fly fish on a wild river than a put and take lake. Im going to have a look at the river properly tommorow, ive seen a few weirs etc on the O.S map, looks interesting.

dave.

I hope your fly fishing is better than your manners!!!!!!!!!

I don't know who that comment was aimed at, Brumagen Phil, but if passed on any of the waters that I was helping Dave with above, it would almost certainly see you on your way seaward by the watery route. And yet, as Dave I believe will very quickly discover, if you make an attempt to rub along with people and get on with them - show them none of the silly, posturing 'side' that we so often see on Internet forums - what you can learn and in turn be led to can be simply amazing (as I found as a youngster years ago). It's the old sowing and reaping thing, plus Respect in the old, not the aggressive modern Street, sense. Angling today would be a much nicer pastime for rather more of it.