New Chat Room!

Fastd

This could possibly be my first controversial post here.

Why is the live chat limited to those who pay? Seems anglers net's becoming a two teir society where those who pay get additional features other than the extra storage and the feeling of having helped out with costs. ( i think that is why the option to contribute was added, but may be wrong)

Surely everyone who takes the time to register on a forum wants to talk to or make their comments known to eevry other registered member on that forum. I personally can see no reason why a chat program should be limited to an elite few.

If running a java chat room costs more you have set up the wrong thing, live chat takes next to no bandwidth and is available free via mirc. Its still not a justification for the current decision to limit it to those who pay! I know mirc is age old technology...but its far better than java for chatting.

Just my opinion #

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the live chat limited to those who pay? Seems anglers net's becoming a two teir society where those who pay get additional features other than the extra storage and the feeling of having helped out with costs. ( i think that is why the option to contribute was added, but may be wrong)

Lots of software has a freeware version with few "bells and whistles" and then that for which you pay. AVG, SpyBot and AdAware to name a few. The Paid version has more features, as it should otherwise who would buy it? Elton has put a lot of his own money into this forum and recently upgraded the software. This forum takes time away from his family and any paying job. I have no objections to being a contributor. Cheaper than going to see just one movie at the cinema and far more entertaining. :mellow:

Guest NickInTheNorth

Well if your theory is correct and everyone wants to chat then everyone will pay the pittance that Elton has suggested and then they can.

This site costs a lot of money to run and I for one am pleased to be able (finally!!) to pay something for it.

Get yer hand in yer pocket man and quit whingeing! :angry:

I think you are missing the point here. Its not that I wont pay....Its that others wont!

This division for no apparent reason means that the forum has a two teir society. It costs sod all for the software for a java chat room ..it only costs for bandwith.

What it means is that if I pay and am honoured with access to the chat room, the chances are the person I wanted to chat to may not have also payed so we cant chat!

There is no logical reason for this division, and surely if the chat room is such a brilliant addition I can only assume its full now, but then assuming I was a newcomer I would want to check out the live chat, but I cant cos I dont pay..so newcomer sticks to msn!

Jan...I think i am reasonably aware of what Elton has put into the site as we have met and chatted while walking the dog. i did say this was a controversial post but hopefully a constructive one.What I am saying is there is no justifcation for limiting the chat to paying members..it should be open for all.

As I post this there are 2 factors i dont know...the percentage of registered members who have payed...and secondly the percentage of registered members agains the number of currently active members in say the last 3 months.

Both these numbers are relevant in the decision to close access to chat to non paying members. Also as a non paying member I dont know if I should really give a dam about the chat cos I cant go to see what its like!

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Ian ,

I have not looked at what it costs, what I was looking at was the fact that new members to the forum cant go and look at it. Surely if this is such a major step forward towards making AN the ultimate anglers source of info newcomers sould be able to log in there and see.

If it makes you feel happier I will make my payment of 2 quid, but that is not the point, I am more intrested in trying to correct a wrong decision by the management ;)

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I think the payed for chat is a good way to help pay for AN, even if the chat itself costs nothing to run. Its about time something was added that would put something in place that would help AN out. Lets just say chat was free, then what? Put up a post asking for donations???

Tight Lines

Shaun

Sorry for butting in,but didn't a lot of us ask about joining the ANMC earlier in the year ......isn't this part of that and a way to help Elton at the same time.....I may join soon!!!!! if any money left after xmas shopping!!!!!!!

judy

i do not see it as a two tier forum!!!!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...1&st=&p=entry

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Shaun,

Paying is a choice, as is adding a chat room. But by limiting the access to the chat room to paying member his is stopping potential new paying members seeing what they can get.

Its very simple and basic marketing and I have no doubt Elton will read this and see my point.

If you had a shop selling a popular product would you stop customers who walk into that shop from the street from going to an area of that shop because they had not been in your before? its like saying that only 10% of the people coming into that shop can see a certain area.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org