- Urgent Safety Notice -

Elton

(9 December 2005) Silva Ltd has today issued a recall for an early batch of S10 fixed DSC VHF radios. These radios carry the serial numbers 0300001 to 0401060 and were supplied to the market between December 2003 and May 2004.

Very recently Silva received feedback that an S10 DSC radio from this batch had transmitted a distress signal that was received by the coastguard. The latter successfully established contact with the vessel concerned, however the GPS position transmitted by the unit was immediately obvious as erroneous, and it is for this reason that all the units from this batch are being recalled.

The manufacturer responsible for this particular run was replaced in 2004 by a UK-owned and managed company with ISO 9000 accreditation and a reputation for excellent quality control and consistency, and tests of subsequent S10 units have shown them to be working at 100% of specification.

To ensure that the recall process causes the minimum of disruption Silva has put in place a fast and simple returns service that delivers a brand new S10 direct to affected owners while at the same time collecting their original sets for return to the company – all at no cost to themselves. Full details can be obtained by calling 01506 406288 or going to http://www.silva.se/vhf

The serial number on each S10 can be found both on the top right of the upper surface of the VHF casing (see picture), and on the outside of the box in which the unit was supplied.

Silva apologises unreservedly for any inconvenience caused, but is confident that the recall is the most prudent option in the interests of both customer safety and satisfaction.

vhfbox_thumb.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks for the info looks like mine will be going back, and ive not taken it out of the box yet

Seriously?

I'm pleased that I've managed to help someone, if so.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest sandpipper

Yes for real a big thankyou very much, Id have been narked if id fitted it then found out im doing my dory up for this spring comming and ive not got around to the electrics yet. And if it wasnt for you i may never have known because silva have not been in touch and its not that they dont know who`s got the radio`s because when you fill out there registration forms its got your serial number on it with your name and address. Anyway here`s a link so you can see what ive bought, my ugly mug is on the bottom of the page http://www.jkmax.co.uk/273625.html

• 2 months later...
(9 December 2005) Silva Ltd has today issued a recall for an early batch of S10 fixed DSC VHF radios. These radios carry the serial numbers 0300001 to 0401060 and were supplied to the market between December 2003 and May 2004.

Very recently Silva received feedback that an S10 DSC radio from this batch had transmitted a distress signal that was received by the coastguard. The latter successfully established contact with the vessel concerned, however the GPS position transmitted by the unit was immediately obvious as erroneous, and it is for this reason that all the units from this batch are being recalled.

The manufacturer responsible for this particular run was replaced in 2004 by a UK-owned and managed company with ISO 9000 accreditation and a reputation for excellent quality control and consistency, and tests of subsequent S10 units have shown them to be working at 100% of specification.

To ensure that the recall process causes the minimum of disruption Silva has put in place a fast and simple returns service that delivers a brand new S10 direct to affected owners while at the same time collecting their original sets for return to the company – all at no cost to themselves. Full details can be obtained by calling 01506 406288 or going to http://www.silva.se/vhf

The serial number on each S10 can be found both on the top right of the upper surface of the VHF casing (see picture), and on the outside of the box in which the unit was supplied.

Silva apologises unreservedly for any inconvenience caused, but is confident that the recall is the most prudent option in the interests of both customer safety and satisfaction.

Hi Elton

Just started my pre season maintenance and rememembered this alert. checked the numbers and I've got a bad one. Thanks for the warning.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Dec 16 2005, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D I've offered them free space for their recall press release as I believe that it's a good company that is prepared to publicise a fault, not hope nobody notices. :rolleyes:

:clap2: I printed the recall in the January edition of the SAN. My bit done for the good of the world this year, I can relax now. :clap2: