What are we doing to our young?

bluerinse

I was fishing the Avon at Stratford yesterday, I was catching bleak for live bait when a young lad about 7 or 8 came up and asked what I had caught, I showed him my live bait and he laughed, he said what do you call those they are tiny, I am and expert fisherman and I can catch big carp. Why waste your time catching those if you go to the carp lake that my dad knows you can catch big fish.

I tried to explain that these were live bait but he didn’t get it and basically laughed at me. I did feel a little sad but I guess most kids only know carp lakes; I worry for the future of our sport.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, turn to the dark side.

Say after me "I hate carp"

Never trust a fish with no lips - and none of the carp that I've seen Mat Hayes catch recent;y have any lips.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes, It can be very worrying, and they can go wrong even after a decent upbringing. The case of my own son is an example of this. He was introduced to fishing at an early age, I have a picture of him at about 8 years old with his first lure caught Pike, he had taken sea trout on his own before leaving primary school. Learned to cast a fly, and how to fill a livebait bucket using a whip. Now in his 20s and has his own place and a perfectly good 13' boat. You can imagine my horror when I recently discovered a stash of substances in his garage, bags and bags of different coloured round balls, and plastic bags of strange looking powdered stuff, some bags has 'boilies' written on them and the powder bags things like 'ultra bait',' top mix' and one even said 'hash'!...it would appear that somone is actually commercially producing this rubbish! I found an army bergen packed with paraphanalia to go with the stuff, a bivvy, electronic bite alarms, 'rig tubing (ugh), baiting needles, hair rig hooks and fancy digital scales. I looked at his e bay to find that he has been selling off some of his pike lures to buy more of this stuff! It got worse, you may imagine how my head reeled and stomach churned to find a picture of him clutching a great big fat ugly carp at what was clearly some seedy commercial fishery where blank eyed cammo wearing dead beats pass money from their shaking hands to the 'fat cats' who set up this sordid practice.

I belive that there is a place for these dirty little puddles stocked with reared fish, there is one fairly close to is, it has easy access so that physically disabled and those suffering from mental illness or learning disibility can catch rainbow trout, (they can even see the rearing pens a few feet away) and perhaps imagine in their own way that they have atually been 'fishing'.

I can only hope that through love, patience and perhaps medical professional help if need be, that my son will come back to the decent side of society and realise that one wild Jack pike is worth more than a life time of those grotesque things which have been pulled in and out of the water so many times as to be recognisable by name.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I was fishing the Avon at Stratford yesterday, I was catching bleak for live bait when a young lad about 7 or 8 came up and asked what I had caught, I showed him my live bait and he laughed, he said what do you call those they are tiny, I am and expert fisherman and I can catch big carp. Why waste your time catching those if you go to the carp lake that my dad knows you can catch big fish.

I tried to explain that these were live bait but he didn’t get it and basically laughed at me. I did feel a little sad but I guess most kids only know carp lakes; I worry for the future of our sport.

I think the main problem today is people come into carp fishing without learning the basics of watercraft. Especially the young. Carp fishing is so popular now almost a sport in itself and most kids that fish probably have a father that fishes for carp and probably either cant be bothered to teach the basics to a newcomer or doesnt now a lot themself. Certainly from my expierince i know a lot of carp anglers that wouldnt know how to trott for roach, or touch ledger for barbel.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Ahh, they're just kids. Their minds haven't opened yet, they're all impressed with big flashy things at that age, like 000h look at the big lorry, oooh thats a big bike etc...I was the same when I fished with my granddad. Once they gain experience and maturity they will see other things in life other than the brash, in your face, obvious things

Yes, It can be very worrying, and they can go wrong even after a decent upbringing. The case of my own son is an example of this. He was introduced to fishing at an early age, I have a picture of him at about 8 years old with his first lure caught Pike, he had taken sea trout on his own before leaving primary school. Learned to cast a fly, and how to fill a livebait bucket using a whip. Now in his 20s and has his own place and a perfectly good 13' boat. You can imagine my horror when I recently discovered a stash of substances in his garage, bags and bags of different coloured round balls, and plastic bags of strange looking powdered stuff, some bags has 'boilies' written on them and the powder bags things like 'ultra bait',' top mix' and one even said 'hash'!...it would appear that somone is actually commercially producing this rubbish! I found an army bergen packed with paraphanalia to go with the stuff, a bivvy, electronic bite alarms, 'rig tubing (ugh), baiting needles, hair rig hooks and fancy digital scales. I looked at his e bay to find that he has been selling off some of his pike lures to buy more of this stuff! It got worse, you may imagine how my head reeled and stomach churned to find a picture of him clutching a great big fat ugly carp at what was clearly some seedy commercial fishery where blank eyed cammo wearing dead beats pass money from their shaking hands to the 'fat cats' who set up this sordid practice.

I belive that there is a place for these dirty little puddles stocked with reared fish, there is one fairly close to is, it has easy access so that physically disabled and those suffering from mental illness or learning disibility can catch rainbow trout, (they can even see the rearing pens a few feet away) and perhaps imagine in their own way that they have atually been 'fishing'.

I can only hope that through love, patience and perhaps medical professional help if need be, that my son will come back to the decent side of society and realise that one wild Jack pike is worth more than a life time of those grotesque things which have been pulled in and out of the water so many times as to be recognisable by name.

Terrible,I know other parents who have suffered the same,good families too!! I hope your son can turn back before he`s dragged down the slippery slope of "carpin in france" !!

:unsure: Have to say, I enjoy the odd session on a (pretty) commercial. It doesn't beat a river or chalk stream but variety is the spice of life. I even like the camo gear (i'm hiding now).
"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Emma two - Sorry to pull you up on this but I am disabled and if you look on some of my postings, you will see that I definitely NOT a 'Carpie'. We have a local "commercial" which I helped set up some 20 years ago and it is full of Bream, Roach, Roach , Rudd, large Perch (which I target) Tench and Carp. As you can see it is a mixed fishery, allowing able bodied AND disabled to target whatever fish they want. I will not be able to fish rivers anymore, but I am definitely bright eyed and my equipment, I should say, is definately general purpose!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Emma two - Sorry to pull you up on this but I am disabled

Me too, and this year is a time for big decision making, I can't cover the ground on foot as I used to, my style of preference was always that of 'wanderer' with lure or fly rod. This afternoon I was looking at buying some tackle which would allow me to fish still but do it sitting down. I am thinking of getting a feeder rod and 'tipping' for roach in the lake, considering that style in conjunction with dead baiting for pike or ledgering for the big perch which I know occur on the water. I will still be able to lure fish from the boat however I am totally reliant on someone to launch and take it off the water from me. I had until recently stuggled on foot to lure fish from the bank, but had to concede that the pain outmeasured the pleasure and being unable to reach the best places is too dishartening. I can manage a couple of salmon pools on the river with very close parking and the allowance of the blue badge.

I have experinced the commercial fisheries, I used to take my father to them , both coarse and trout, when he became too infirm for the wild places, and I introduced several of the disabled people I worked with to fishin' on them. However they are not for me, I don't want to fish a few acres of highly managed water with other people looking across it at me. It's good that these places do exist for those who want them and are unable to fish elsewhere, but they are simply not for me, I would rather stop fishing altogether and settle for my memories along with those of my shooting and lurcher work.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

a young lad about 7 or 8 came up and asked what I had caught, I showed him my live bait and he laughed, he said what do you call those they are tiny, I am and expert fisherman and I can catch big carp. Why waste your time catching those if you go to the carp lake that my dad knows you can catch big fish

I bet you wished you had slapped his face, kicked his rear and flung the little turd in the water...lol... ;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...