What are we doing to our young?

bluerinse

Hi Lyn, it has a lot to do with the mags....and books...........and catch reports. But it always has been! How many books on angling are devoted to tiddler bashing (and that is not meant to be derogitory). I remember as a kid trying to listen in on the "old boys" in Ogden Smiths whispering about their catches and trying to find out where :)

I think it all comes down to a simple fascination...show a boy a big fish, and if (IF) he has it in his makeup, then he will want to catch it......................and then there is all that lovely tackle :) :)........................and the camping...........................nights out under the stars. Not all of them fully appreciate their surroundings, but at least the basics are there.

Emma, I also get annoyed at people who shout and holler but as you said yourself, he was just one loudmouth. Got nothing to do with most of the people fishing there that day?

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma, I also get annoyed at people who shout and holler but as you said yourself, he was just one loudmouth. Got nothing to do with most of the people fishing there that day?

Den

he wasnt fishing, he was riding up and down the towpath on a bicycle with a young girl of about 12 years old, (he looked around 40) and he was telling her in a voice loud enough for everyone around to hear qute clearly about how he physically beat up someone who had recently annoyed him. Other than myself no one was fishing.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

.show a boy a big fish, and if (IF) he has it in his makeup, then he will want to catch it

Den

I like to avoid getting fish (big or otherwise) in my makeup, they tend to make it go all slimy and difficult to apply.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Y

I belive that there is a place for these dirty little puddles stocked with reared fish, there is one fairly close to is, it has easy access so that physically disabled and those suffering from mental illness or learning disibility can catch rainbow trout, (they can even see the rearing pens a few feet away) and perhaps imagine in their own way that they have atually been 'fishing'.

I can only hope that through love, patience and perhaps medical professional help if need be, that my son will come back to the decent side of society and realise that one wild Jack pike is worth more than a life time of those grotesque things which have been pulled in and out of the water so many times as to be recognisable by name.

Oh Dear

I quite enjoy fishing stocked fisheries for rainbows, and I don't recognise your description at all. It is a bit worrying to hear that I have only been imaging that I go fishing.

This is an argument that I have had with the "wild fish above all" brigade on a different forum.

The fishery I go to (Haddo) is probably 90% catch and release. The fish are "educated" and are not easy so they require a little finesse. My usual tactics are single size 16 buzzers on a 3/4wt floating line. I also fish for wild brownies loch style and have fished some of the best lochs in the North of Scotland and Orkney using a team of wets on a 6 or 7 wt. Cast, retrieve, hang, cast retrieve hang and so on and so on. Sooner or later a suicidal brownie will hang himself on one or other of the flies. Not exactly challenging ;)

Come to that wild jack pike are not exactly challenging either, I could take you to one or two lochs where they are a blasted nuisance and will swallow any sort of spinner you care to throw in their direction (starvation has a lot to do with it)

This year I have been carp fishing for the first time in years, not particularly challenging, but different, and a nice change of pace. Because the water are heavily fished, to be successful you have to apply a degree of thought.

I am also lucky enough to be able to fly fish for salmon on a regular basis.

I don't value any one style or type of fishing above another, I enjoy all of them when I am doing them. The most challenging? the rainbows at haddo by a distance, the easiest? wild brownies on the loch and jack pike.

I realise that you post was a bit tongue in cheek but I do get a bit fed up with being told that I am not a proper angler because I don't recognise a starving 3oz trout as the ultimate quarry <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

A big fish is a big fish whether its a big roach or a big Catfish and a big roach seems much harder to catch than a big Carp (except for the biggest), I like all species but I don't like commercials simply because I go fishing to fish in natural places and the further away from other people the better (apart from a friend or two).

I agree that there are too many youngsters who think that Carp fishing is the only branch of the sport worth persueing without trying to catch a 2lb roach or a 5lb Tench or an 8lb Barbel etc. etc. all of which are harder to catch and put up a better fight when deliberately fishing for them than the odd accidental one caught on Carp tackle, unfortunately they think that water craft is a plastic thing that you send out to drop off your boilies before you fall asleep.

We often walk past lots of youngtsers who are bindly sitting behind their Carp rods on one of our most popular lakes very occasionally catching the odd Carp which looks just like the one they had before (if they are lucky) while we are on our way up the river that passes besides the lake where we will have fantastic sport after big roach, Barbel chub, river Carp etc. and every fish we catch will fight much harder in the confines of a small river, then at the end of the day after having a brillliant days fishing we walk past the same disallusioned youngsters who have lazed around all day not catching much but believing that they have been fishing. the poor misguided youngsters.

If you gave the average young angler an avon type rod and tackle and said catch me a Barbel or Chub from the river behind you they wouldn't have a clue.

This is why as youngsters we used to learn about watercraft and the other things that can be caught and not just the boring fat lumps that they try to catch from the off nowerdays.

If we wanted to catch really big Carp we are lucky to belong to a club which has some huge Named Carp which you need to spend a lot of time learning about their feeding routes and habits which live in lakes with a very limited stock of fish which rarely get caught. but the average lake that the youngsters fish after their Carp is nothing like this and I just think that they are missing out on a lot of enjoyment. But each to their own.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I realise that you post was a bit tongue in cheek but I do get a bit fed up with being told that I am not a proper angler because I don't recognise a starving 3oz trout as the ultimate quarry <_<

NO! it was not 'a bit tounge in cheek' it was written in a far more mischievious way, it was a total satire comparison with the drugs scene, and as such I set out to portray the commercial business as 'seedy' and its seeming delights as an illusion. However it has clearly struck some nerves, for which I apologise, seemingly, given some of your indignant responses, the medium of the written word, or at least my ability to project some humour through it has been woefully missed, or at least misinterpreted.

I do take your point about the (sometimes) challenge of small water stocked trout, when my Dad got too old to cope with the big waters I would drive him to a small commercial trout fishery where we could park right next to the water, and he reported and I often saw days when anglers stuggled to catch. One day no one had caught, I sat on a bench watching for a while, then picked up father's spare rod, and quickly whipped 3 out, I was surpised no one noticed what I was doing I had turned over a sod and found a few worms, which when simply nicked onto a fly and flicked in were gobbled up before they could reach the bottom! Ok go on now condem me as a the bitch from hell for bait fishin' on a fly only water!....I was haviing a laugh..remember that :D:D:D

I do however maintain that I hugely prefer the 'wilds' and value an 'untouched by human hand' Jack over a stew reared monster trout.

One of the problems on these small (trout) waters is 'men', I might write more on that later, but I am concious of upsetting some of the more sensitive types.

One of the problems on these small (trout) waters is 'men', I might write more on that later, but I am concious of upsetting some of the more sensitive types.

Naw, get it off your chest and write about it now...I'm enjoying this! :lol:

We are each entitled to our opinion and I believe the one expressed in the topic to begin with was the fact that kids seem to be taught how to be tackle tarts and just head off to a local commercial carp hole in the ground (yes, I know they're not all like this) to catch a monster. Carp are the cool fish to catch and if you dont catch double figures then your a loser!

There are good and bad aspects to this. If all these people who choose to limit their fishing to mud coloured holes in the ground leave us well rounded anglers alone to fish the stretches of rivers and little know lakes alone then thats great.

However, if all these anglers make up the vast majority and commercial carp waters become the only gig in town then does this mean clubs who own stretches of these rivers give up and close it down? Will these little known public park and other lakes get filled in a topped off with a block of flats?

Yes carp fishing in a bivvy is a lovely social event with bbq's, boozing, parties, pizza, bring the kids lets all camp outside sort of thing. If you like it then go for it, but I for one worry about the kids attitudes to fishing in general and possibly the future of angling.

Maybe I worry too much and should head off to my local carp lake for some pizza and beer! ;)

Lets face it, we give teenagers ear bashings for being pains in the ass and being "anti-social", and then say, its because there's nothing to do. Take these kids to a local commercial fishery and show them what's being pulled out and how and they'd take up a days fishing on one of these places in a snap. So surely, giving them ear bashings for enjoying fishing commercials and catching big fish is a complete waste of everyones time. At the end of the day there are other kids who are terrorising neighbourhoods with no aspirations or a feeling of social postion (probably due to the state of run down areas and the governments lack of care for the people within these communties, however a different matter altogether i grant) and we are all wasting our time moaning about a few kids who are doing something very legal and simply taking part in a fun hobby.

I'd rather see a young lad carrying a 2.5 lb test curve rod than a flick knife or mach 10 any day of the week :D

I was going to write a long-winded yawn about the rights and wrongs of commercial fisheries but you know what? I reckon Maxaldo has just nailed it. He's absolutely right.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...