What are we doing to our young?

bluerinse

To answer Den's question, having a 'grounding' in basic fishing is useful later on simply because you have a wider experience base on which to draw. I bet you wouldn't be catching so many big fish now if your skills and experience were more limited! In fact I'd hazard a guess that many others fish your waters and struggle for this reason.

It also teaches you to think for yourself and work out fishy problems like location, suitable rigs and methods, bait choice, feeding, playing fish properly, appropriate tackle selection, rather than relying on whatever's fashionable that month or what the going swim is. I feel it helps me, at any rate. There's just more data to work from. An example - being proficient in locating and catching roach or bream comes in very handy when targetting pike. Learning how to play a big fish on light gear is extremely useful when it comes to playing a big fish on appropriate tackle (Budgie recently said, and I agree with him, that a lot of people are pretty poor at playing fish - they just don't know what their tackle is capable of). There are lots of other examples I could list.

The real excitement of fishing for me used to be hooking a monster while fishing for smaller fish. After a while I (together with friends) decided to sometimes try to catch them on purpose. This was much harder because there wasn't the constant action of small-fish fishing and there weren't many bigger fish. That's how you learn though.

Carp used to be a special fish, a fairly rare and enigmatic creature, a real achievement to catch one. That label has somehow stuck, even though they're now the most common fish to fish for. I'm not anti-carp at all, I love fishing for all species, I just think it's a shame that unfashionable species are held in such low esteem by so many people, especially new anglers - who are the ones who will ultimately decide what the future of fishing in the UK will be like.

As for putting photos on the internet - guilty :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there is passive aggression :D

It's all psychology really. If you study any conversation deeply enough you'll find some of the above somewhere.

Perhaps, but make any of these logical fallacies when debating me and I'll come down on you like a ton of bricks, because I will know that you have no evidence to back up your claim.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You'll not find a whole lot of that on AN Emma, your more likely to be assaulted by Strawmen, Ad Hominem attacks, Appeals to Authority, Special Pleading, Anecdotal Evidence, Observational Selection, Appeals to Ignorance, Non Sequitors, Slippery Slope Arguments, Argument from Adverse Consequences, False Dichotomies, Statistics of Small Numbers, Weasel Words with the odd Red Herring thrown in for luck.

He he. brilliant!

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Guest Rabbit
You'll not find a whole lot of that on AN Emma, your more likely to be assaulted by Strawmen, Ad Hominem attacks, Appeals to Authority, Special Pleading, Anecdotal Evidence, Observational Selection, Appeals to Ignorance, Non Sequitors, Slippery Slope Arguments, Argument from Adverse Consequences, False Dichotomies, Statistics of Small Numbers, Weasel Words with the odd Red Herring thrown in for luck.

i would agree if I understood just half of what you are talking about...no change there then :D

Adverse Consequences

Statistics of Small Numbers

Non Sequiitors

Observational Selection

False Dichotomies

Take your head out of your back side pleeeease :D

i would agree if I understood just half of what you are talking

You I think ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Wikipedia Oh thanks, like I really care anyway :D
This one is your speciality Neil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote