Play Or Skull Drag

Guest tigger

I hear lot's of arguments as to whether when bringing a fish in you should get it in as quickly as possible or if you should take your time and play it in.

If you bring the fish in as quickly as you can some people say that you will tear the fishes lips or even pull them off altogether.

If you play your fish and try not to be too forceful some people say you're tiring the fish out and causing it unecessary stress.

Just interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Tigger.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has always bothered me. In many ways a lot of the "fun" or satisfaction in landing a fish is using the skill required to "beat" the fish, implying that you are giving it a chance to get away, and in so doing, tire it out. I think I subscribe to this viewpoint. Of course there's no point being silly and fishing for Pike or big Carp with a size 16 and 1Ib hooklength, although there's many story of those who have :rolleyes::rolleyes: .

I think the answer is to balance the tackle to give the fish a chance, but erring on the safe side, and I'm sure that's what most of us do.

It's interesting the difference with sea fishing (mostly), where the object seems to be to drag the fish in as quickly as you can, with very little skill or finesse. (That's what I do anyway)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

I have found that since using barbless hooks for the last few years (won't use anything else now!) if you play your fish too long your chances of it "throwing the hook" are increased. I set my drag to about half the breaking strain of the line and steadily (not forcing) reeling the fish in.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

This has always bothered me. In many ways a lot of the "fun" or satisfaction in landing a fish is using the skill required to "beat" the fish, implying that you are giving it a chance to get away, and in so doing, tire it out. I think I subscribe to this viewpoint. Of course there's no point being silly and fishing for Pike or big Carp with a size 16 and 1Ib hooklength, although there's many story of those who have :rolleyes::rolleyes: .

I think the answer is to balance the tackle to give the fish a chance, but erring on the safe side, and I'm sure that's what most of us do.

It's interesting the difference with sea fishing (mostly), where the object seems to be to drag the fish in as quickly as you can, with very little skill or finesse. (That's what I do anyway)

It is a well subscribed to view, that to play a fish too long and to tire the fish to the point of exhaustion is wrong. Obviously we are talking of heavy fish, and therefore the time the fish will need to recover will be longer. In low oxygenated water this can be a problem, and the fish will need a longer period of recovery, if it can recover. The practise of fishing for carp with a fly rod is a good example of bad practice, we should respect out quarry and afford it the utmost care at all times

I set the clutch so it just gives line, without breaking it. I then slacken the clutch when close in.

I don't think balancing tackle to give a fish a chance is a good thing. Tackle should be balanced and fish should be played in order to get the fish in safely, without damaging it. If a fish comes in too "fresh", it may be more inclined to go loopy in the landing net, which can also cause mayhem.

If I catch fish caught a close range, like carp under the tip, I try and unhook it in the water, where it's less likely to jump about. Then, the fish can be transported to a mat, ready for wheighing. The same also applies to Pike, (if I can get the hooks out without effort) and Barbel. in fact, I try not to lift any large fish out, unless I want to take a picture.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

It is a well subscribed to view, that to play a fish too long and to tire the fish to the point of exhaustion is wrong. Obviously we are talking of heavy fish, and therefore the time the fish will need to recover will be longer. In low oxygenated water this can be a problem, and the fish will need a longer period of recovery, if it can recover. The practise of fishing for carp with a fly rod is a good example of bad practice, we should respect out quarry and afford it the utmost care at all times

Why is catching a carp on a fly rod bad practice?

If I can land a 20lb salmon in a very (extremely!!) powerful river on a fly rod, and land it in such a condition that it can easily and succesfully be released, or indeed, if I can land a double figure Pike and release it no worse for wear on a fly rod why should carp be any different?

I fish for Pike with 3lb test curve deadbait rods and with 9wt fly rods and much prefer the fly rods.

Have you ever used a fly rod?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Why is catching a carp on a fly rod bad practice?

If I can land a 20lb salmon in a very (extremely!!) powerful river on a fly rod, and land it in such a condition that it can easily and succesfully be released, or indeed, if I can land a double figure Pike and release it no worse for wear on a fly rod why should carp be any different?

I fish for Pike with 3lb test curve deadbait rods and with 9wt fly rods and much prefer the fly rods.

Have you ever used a fly rod?

Absolutely Sportsman, I've caught Carp on a fly rod & it's fabulous sport. Not one of those Carp have had any problem whatsoever recovering & powering off when released.

I use a 10 foot reservoir trout rod weighted 7-9 & fights with fish up to mid doubles last up to 15mins MAX depending on how fit the fish is & type of water it's in.

'Bad practice' sounds like inexperience to me.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Absolutely Sportsman, I've caught Carp on a fly rod & it's fabulous sport. Not one of those Carp have had any problem whatsoever recovering & powering off when released.

I use a 10 foot reservoir trout rod weighted 7-9 & fights with fish up to mid doubles last up to 15mins MAX depending on how fit the fish is & type of water it's in.

'Bad practice' sounds like inexperience to me.

I must addmit i'd love to catch a carp on a fly rod or anything on a fly rod for that matter preferably a salmon, and a big crumper if poss.

I reckon i've done the next best thing though, i used to use a 6ft silstar winklepicker a abu 501 and 8.4lb line in a carp lake and catch carp in their mid 20's. There was no or very little chance of being snapped (i never got snapped) as there where no snags or weed, just a big concrete pond. It was great as you felt every move the fish made and you had to use your playing skill to get them in ok.

This has always bothered me. In many ways a lot of the "fun" or satisfaction in landing a fish is using the skill required to "beat" the fish, implying that you are giving it a chance to get away, and in so doing, tire it out. I think I subscribe to this viewpoint. Of course there's no point being silly and fishing for Pike or big Carp with a size 16 and 1Ib hooklength, although there's many story of those who have .

It's interesting the difference with sea fishing (mostly), where the object seems to be to drag the fish in as quickly as you can, with very little skill or finesse. (That's what I do anyway

Jason i'm the same as you in the sea fishing dept get them in asap in time for tea!

Tigger.

Balanced tackle is the anawer.It is a fallacy that the heavier the tackle the quicker you can land it.

My veiw is that fish should be landed as quick as possible to avoid losing them and causing them undue stress.

Over heavy tackle can not only cause damage but is often responsible for lost fish.Didnt see many hook pulls at the net with carp when 1 1/2lb rods were the norm did you?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I get a bit worried about the idea of "giving the fish a chance"

Giving the fish a chance to do what? Escape with a hook in it's mouth and trailing a length of line? That's surely not what is meant!

The fact is that using a soft rod, like a fly rod can often mean that you can exert quite powerful force on the fish with less likliehood of breaking off or pulling the hook.

Of course the other point is that it is very enjoyable "playing" a fish and enjoyment is why I go fishing.

I've fished with sea tackle where you had to wait 'til you saw the hook to see if you had caught anything. No fun in that for me.

I suppose the word is balance (sorry Budgie, I was writing this while you were posting) :)

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/