Play Or Skull Drag

Guest tigger

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errr - maybe that's because no one agrees with you?

I have no clue about barbel since it's a species we don't have but I have fished for hard fighting river catfish to 30lbs and one day used 2½ lb, 1¾ lb rods and a 9wt fly rod, all with multiplier reels and put the fish in the net on each style of rod with the fish in good shape when released. This was in mid-summer so the water was fairly warm (although well oxygenated being just below a dam) and the fish were very active.

I have carp fished with several folks who were using fly rods and we all seemed to get the fish to the net in a reasonable time with no bad after-effects that I could notice.

In oxygenated water yes maybe... not always possible in our muddy carp holes Newt... but the sort of anglers that advocate using a fly rod to catch carp, I suspect do not have fish welfare as a priority issue.

If you had fish welfare as a priority issue you wouldnt go fishing in the first place Rabbit. I know guys that could get a 20lb pike in on fly gear quicker than your average bait angler could on his tackle.

1) Blimey thats a bit below the belt !!

2)Thats because a twenty pound pike fights like a 5lb mirror ... I know :rolleyes:

I would love to use a fly rod for barbel, do you think it would work. What sort of fly would be best?

I assume you mean that a fly rod would not be "capable" of landing a barbel, strange when all of the evidence would seem to contradict you. In Canada and Alaska king salmon well in excess of 60lb regularly caught, landed and released on fly tackle, but of course, they don't fight anything like as hard as a barbel :)

Sportsman a serious question to you. Have you caught many barbel from the bank? If you have then you would know that a fly rod would be totally inadequate in that situation. I accept that their are always exceptions, if you were to fish from a boat then landing a 60 lb king salmon would be possible, but there always exceptions.

Errr - maybe that's because no one agrees with you?

I have no clue about barbel since it's a species we don't have but I have fished for hard fighting river catfish to 30lbs and one day used 2½ lb, 1¾ lb rods and a 9wt fly rod, all with multiplier reels and put the fish in the net on each style of rod with the fish in good shape when released. This was in mid-summer so the water was fairly warm (although well oxygenated being just below a dam) and the fish were very active.

I have carp fished with several folks who were using fly rods and we all seemed to get the fish to the net in a reasonable time with no bad after-effects that I could notice.

Were you and your party fishing from a boat Newt?

So is this...

.. but the sort of anglers that advocate using a fly rod to catch carp, I suspect do not have fish welfare as a priority issue.

Apart from being utter rubbish, of course.

Oh, and the statement 'a fly rod' is every bit as sweeping and innaccurate as your other accusations.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

2)Thats because a twenty pound pike fights like a 5lb mirror ... I know :rolleyes:

How i that below the belt? Its a valid point.

Where are you based? I guess its well South as I have heard that your pike down there fight like kittens. :D

So is this...

Apart from being utter rubbish, of course.

Oh, and the statement 'a fly rod' is every bit as sweeping and innaccurate as your other accusations.

In your opinion of course, Well at least we got off the boring Pike threads for a moment :)

How i that below the belt? Its a valid point.

Where are you based? I guess its well South as I have heard that your pike down there fight like kittens. :D

Sorry if the irony was lost on you re: the first point.

Secondly, I dont live in the South try the South Midlands, kittens I dont know about that but its common knowledge North South East or West Pike are no match for Boris when it comes to a scrap :)