Play Or Skull Drag

Guest tigger

Sportsman a serious question to you. Have you caught many barbel from the bank? If you have then you would know that a fly rod would be totally inadequate in that situation. I accept that their are always exceptions, if you were to fish from a boat then landing a 60 lb king salmon would be possible, but there always exceptions.

Were you and your party fishing from a boat Newt?

A serious reply. Yes, I have caught Barbel from the bank PB around 8lb (I don't often weigh fish, fish welfare and all that) Do I think that I could catch one on a fly rod - don't know, never tried (yet :rolleyes: )

Do I think that I could land one on a fly rod - of course- and just as quickly and safely as you with your "barbel" rod.

BTW most salmon are not caught from boats. The British record FLY CAUGHT salmon weighed in excess of 60lb and was caught by a woman on the river Deveron in NE Scotland. No boats involved.

You have given us the benefit of you opinion at great length, how about giving us a reason why you hold these beliefs, to the point where you insult a great many very good anglers, and me, by saying that we have no concern for fish welfare.

I'm afraid that just because you say so isn't enough.

Sorry if the irony was lost on you re: the first point.

Secondly, I dont live in the South try the South Midlands, kittens I dont know about that but its common knowledge North South East or West Pike are no match for Boris when it comes to a scrap :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just remember, I'm laughing at you not with you :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabbit,

I've just been back through your posts on this subject, I think it's fair to say your objections to fly fishing for Carp, seems to be based on the excessive amount of time you think it takes to land a fish.

Trust me mate, we're not talking colonel Mustard on the river Test fishing for 1-2lb wild Brownies here! a 10 foot reservoir rod weighted 7-9 is a bit of a beast. The reality is, a low double has to be one fit fella indeed to push me to the 10 min mark.

I also have a single handed Sea-Trout/Salmon rod which I used at one point, but put it away again, because for the size of fish I was catching I really felt I was overgunned.

Trouble is, a lot of Carpers are lead by magazine heroes, & as such develop their opinions from the power of the written word rather than getting out there & trying different methods & consequently developing a practical opinion as opposed to a theoretical one.

One manifestation of this, is the amount of Carp anglers I see with matched rods of 3lb test curve married to gigantic reels, fishing for double figure fish in an open snag free lake! but they think thats the way to do it because they only have the aforementioned magazines to go on.

My advice Rabbit, is get out there & try it. You'll find it's not the crime you think it is, plus it's bl**dy good fun as well, which is a big motivator in my fishing.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

A serious reply. Yes, I have caught Barbel from the bank PB around 8lb (I don't often weigh fish, fish welfare and all that) Do I think that I could catch one on a fly rod - don't know, never tried (yet :rolleyes: )

Do I think that I could land one on a fly rod - of course- and just as quickly and safely as you with your "barbel" rod.

BTW most salmon are not caught from boats. The British record FLY CAUGHT salmon weighed in excess of 60lb and was caught by a woman on the river Deveron in NE Scotland. No boats involved.

You have given us the benefit of you opinion at great length, how about giving us a reason why you hold these beliefs, to the point where you insult a great many very good anglers, and me, by saying that we have no concern for fish welfare.

I'm afraid that just because you say so isn't enough.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just remember, I'm laughing at you not with you :rolleyes:

Look Sportsman just find a barbel and catch it with your fly rod and tell me how you got on, if you can find one in Scotland.

As far as your LOL x 7 and laughing at me comment, I consider that a nasty vindictive remark made behind the safety of your keyboard. you should apologise.

Rabbit,

My advice Rabbit, is get out there & try it. You'll find it's not the crime you think it is, plus it's bl**dy good fun as well, which is a big motivator in my fishing.

Good advice.

I'd love to have a go with a fly rod!

Maybe next year when i've got all my other tackle.

Tigger.

Good advice.

I'd love to have a go with a fly rod!

Maybe next year when i've got all my other tackle.

Tigger.

Go for it Tigger, it might just open up a whole new world for you.

Variety is the spice of fishing as well as life!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

In oxygenated water yes maybe... not always possible in our muddy carp holes Newt... but the sort of anglers that advocate using a fly rod to catch carp, I suspect do not have fish welfare as a priority issue.

and I find that a nasty and vindictive remark, so you first ;)

Look Sportsman just find a barbel and catch it with your fly rod and tell me how you got on, if you can find one in Scotland.

As far as your LOL x 7 and laughing at me comment, I consider that a nasty vindictive remark made behind the safety of your keyboard. you should apologise.

I havn't always lived in Scotland, thank God I do now.

I fished for barbel before it became trendy and I fished for carp when they were wild. Unfortunately then I hadn't enjoyed fishing with a fly so never tried it.

I notice you still havn't dredged up any facts to back up your assertations.

BTW I had another good laugh at your remark about "behind the safety of my keyboard" :P

Well, it's gone very quiet and I'm off to Spain for 3 months in the morning :P:P

See you about half past March. :lol::lol:

BTW I,m taking a fly rod with me as I know where there are some cracking river carp ;)

and I find that a nasty and vindictive remark, so you first ;)

I havn't always lived in Scotland, thank God I do now.

I fished for barbel before it became trendy and I fished for carp when they were wild. Unfortunately then I hadn't enjoyed fishing with a fly so never tried it.

I notice you still havn't dredged up any facts to back up your assertations.

BTW I had another good laugh at your remark about "behind the safety of my keyboard" :P

I feel no need to back up my assertations, besides anything I say you sneer at and express yourself with multiple LOL's that is bad form Sportsman IMO Hopefully your manners have not totally deserted you!! We were having a discusion, albeit a bit knock about at times, but you got a tad personal, anyway lets agree to disagree but please keep it civil.

Well, it's gone very quiet and I'm off to Spain for 3 months in the morning :P:P

BTW I,m taking a fly rod with me as I know where there are some cracking river carp ;)

Jammy bugger i wish i was off to Spain in the morning especially with the old fly rod an all. :lol:

Tigger.

Bon Voyage El Sportsman. and I am sure thos crackin carp will crack your fly rod!!