Play Or Skull Drag

Guest tigger

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit ;)

Barbel enthusiasts using flyrods are catching good size barbel from both the Trent and the Kennet right now and those are just the two that I know of. I suspect that its more commonplace than either you or I are aware of. Fly rods are not all lightweight wands and it would not be difficult to deal with a hooked barbel on the right kind of rod. You don't even have to think outside of the box. If you can handle barbel on uprated grayling float rods and centrepins, then it should not be difficult to visualise beating one on a fly rod. Since I can't think of a freshwater species that wouldn't eat a nymph, I see no logical reason why flyfishing wouldn't be a logical way to catch them.

With the possible exception of the coelacanth, there isn't a fish that swims that isnt hunted with a flyrod, from roach and rudd all the way up to sharks, marlin, bluefins and sailfish. Why should barbel be an exception? Great fighting fish but not invincible on a flyrod and the same kind of floppy hat worn by barbellers is very similar to that worn by some conventional flyrodders........ :rolleyes:

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rabbit, sometimes you amaze me with your opinions, not a bad thing but its just seems like some of your views are a little hard to understand. for what reason exactly is it wrong to catch a carp on a fly rod but it is acceptable for other species? i cannot see what logic you are using when formulating these views.

have you ever used a fly rod for trout? whats the difference apart from it may possibly more fun to land a big carp on a fly rod.

Do you disagree with using vintage tackle for carp?

Edited by zedhead

but the sort of anglers that advocate using a fly rod to catch carp, I suspect do not have fish welfare as a priority issue.

I think the civility was lost with this line, or is it one rule for you and a different one for everyone else.

If you can't take it don;t dish it out. Don't presume to lecture me on manners.

BTW the sort of anglers who advocate using a fly rod seems to be just about everyone else ;)

Well, I really must go, cars loaded up and ready to roll.

Bye :P:P:P:P:P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Were you and your party fishing from a boat Newt?

We were. However, the boat was anchored and usually in shallow water (3-5 feet) so more like a mobile fishing platform.

It was the first time I'd been in a situation where I could expect lots of takes by decent size catfish and since a pair of us were at the river for most of a week, I tried some gear that I otherwise would probably not have used.

I was surprised at the way the longer and lighter, more limber rods including the fly rod held up against some nice fish in moderate current. I honestly don't think there was much difference in the time required to tire and net a fish using the lighter rods vs. the heavier ones. Not at all what I'd have guessed before the trip. We had brought along the lighter equipment to catch other and smaller fish when the catfish bite was off as would happen quite often. There is a 'one rod in the water at a time per angler' rule where we were fishing.

The main criteria for which rod to use came down to how far we needed to cast since we were using large chunks of cut bait and enough weight to hold bottom. The 9wt or the 1¾ lb TC rods simply wouldn't punch a rig out very far.

rr1.jpg

rr2.jpg

rr3.jpg

rr4.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

rabbit, sometimes you amaze me with your opinions, not a bad thing but its just seems like some of your views are a little hard to understand. for what reason exactly is it wrong to catch a carp on a fly rod but it is acceptable for other species? i cannot see what logic you are using when formulating these views.

have you ever used a fly rod for trout? whats the difference apart from it may possibly more fun to land a big carp on a fly rod.

Do you disagree with using vintage tackle for carp?

I wonder where you had been, just a pity you had to jump on the 'old guard' bandwagon with your opening line.

However you did say it would be more fun possibly to land big carp on a fly rod, more fun for you but not so much fun for the carp. Why? Read my previous comments when you jump down.

We were. However, the boat was anchored and usually in shallow water (3-5 feet) so more like a mobile fishing platform.

It was the first time I'd been in a situation where I could expect lots of takes by decent size catfish and since a pair of us were at the river for most of a week, I tried some gear that I otherwise would probably not have used.

I was surprised at the way the longer and lighter, more limber rods including the fly rod held up against some nice fish in moderate current. I honestly don't think there was much difference in the time required to tire and net a fish using the lighter rods vs. the heavier ones. Not at all what I'd have guessed before the trip. We had brought along the lighter equipment to catch other and smaller fish when the catfish bite was off as would happen quite often. There is a 'one rod in the water at a time per angler' rule where we were fishing.

The main criteria for which rod to use came down to how far we needed to cast since we were using large chunks of cut bait and enough weight to hold bottom. The 9wt or the 1¾ lb TC rods simply wouldn't punch a rig out very far.

Thanks Newt, as I thought you would have had a lot of open water to play the fish. a sinifigant advantage whenp playing heavy fish on light tackle.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit ;)

Barbel enthusiasts using flyrods are catching good size barbel from both the Trent and the Kennet right now and those are just the two that I know of. I suspect that its more commonplace than either you or I are aware of. Fly rods are not all lightweight wands and it would not be difficult to deal with a hooked barbel on the right kind of rod. You don't even have to think outside of the box. If you can handle barbel on uprated grayling float rods and centrepins, then it should not be difficult to visualise beating one on a fly rod. Since I can't think of a freshwater species that wouldn't eat a nymph, I see no logical reason why flyfishing wouldn't be a logical way to catch them.

With the possible exception of the ceolacanth, there isn't a fish that swims that isnt hunted with a flyrod, from roach and rudd all the way up to sharks, marlin, bluefins and sailfish. Why should barbel be an exception? Great fighting fish but not invincible on a flyrod and the same kind of floppy hat worn by barbellers is very similar to that worn by some conventional flyrodders........ :rolleyes:

Well , must I have missed something here so many barbel caught on flyrods?? I can accept that if one is fishing open water ie from a boat then it would be possible to tame a large powerful fish on light taclkle, but as most barbel fishing is conducted from river banks that have a underwater tree roots etc How would you suggest I stop that first powerful run with a fly rod. It aint gonna happen !!

I can accept that if one is fishing open water ie from a boat then it would be possible to tame a large powerful fish on light tackle,........................................................ but as most barbel fishing is conducted from river banks that have a underwater tree roots etc

Who said it had to be light tackle? I don't remember anyone advocating that.

..........and as for trees, you can walk many a mile on the H.Avon without coming across a bankside tree -- they get in the way of the Salmon anglers fishing with a fly rod.

I can accept that if one is fishing open water ie from a boat then it would be possible to tame a large powerful fish on light taclkle...

Such as when surface fishing for carp, for instance? :rolleyes:

As has been already pointed out, fly rods and light tackle aren't automatically the same thing. More inaccurate generalisations, Rabbit.

The fact is, you are wrong. It really is that simple.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Who said it had to be light tackle? I don't remember anyone advocating that.

..........and as for trees, you can walk many a mile on the H.Avon without coming across a bankside tree -- they get in the way of the Salmon anglers fishing with a fly rod.

Yes I am sure you can always find exceptions to the rule Ajay but I am talking of the real world, in rivers where snags abound, the Hampshire Avon is nor a reasonable example, you really must try harder your arguments are weak :)