Play Or Skull Drag

Guest tigger

I get a bit worried about the idea of "giving the fish a chance"

Giving the fish a chance to do what? Escape with a hook in it's mouth and trailing a length of line? That's surely not what is meant!

To me the term"playing" implies a degree of uncertainty. You're not sure you're going to get it in safely, and if you do that's the reward, the satisfaction. In this respect, yes the fish has a chance, and it's up to the skill of the angler to overcome those odds.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've fished with sea tackle where you had to wait 'til you saw the hook to see if you had caught anything. No fun in that for me.

I suppose the word is balance (sorry Budgie, I was writing this while you were posting) :)

I don't know what you where fishing for but i certainly don't have to wait until i see the hook to know if i have caught anything when sea angling, unless i have a very small fish attached.

A few weeks ago i caught a bass weighing 5 1/2 lbs and it put a good bend in my beachcaster!

Ok as your generally using heavy tackle in the sea you don't usually get the same feel when playing a fish as when your freshwater angling unless you hook something decent that is.

I think i know what Jason means about "giving the fish a chance". Obviosly he does'nt mean use unsuitable tackle so you risk loosing the fish with hook and line attached, i think he means if you use tackle that does'nt enable you to just drag a fish in, you have to use a degree of skill by playing the fish in which makes it feel more of an even fight and more exciting. At least i think that's what he means?

Tigger.

I agree entirely with the idea of having to use skill to land the fish so maybe the choice of words is unfortunate as it suggests fishing light enough to give the fish an even chance to escape. To me, once I have hooked a fish, I want it's best chance to be landed and carefully released.

We all suffer lost fish and in some circumstances it maybe doesn't matter too much, a fish will soon get rid of a small hook, but a pair of trebles attached to 18" of wire and 20yards of 40lb braid may be something else. For that reason, most pike fishers use much heavier tackle than is strictly necessary.

Tigger, I've done a lot of beach casting and with small species like whiting you were never quite sure if it was a fish or the 5oz weight :) Thats what I was referring to, not your 51/2 lb bass :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I think i know what Jason means about "giving the fish a chance". Obviosly he does'nt mean use unsuitable tackle so you risk loosing the fish with hook and line attached, i think he means if you use tackle that does'nt enable you to just drag a fish in, you have to use a degree of skill by playing the fish in which makes it feel more of an even fight and more exciting. At least i think that's what he means?

Tigger.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, thanks, sometimes not very good at expressing what I'm thinking :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Why is catching a carp on a fly rod bad practice?

If I can land a 20lb salmon in a very (extremely!!) powerful river on a fly rod, and land it in such a condition that it can easily and succesfully be released, or indeed, if I can land a double figure Pike and release it no worse for wear on a fly rod why should carp be any different?

I fish for Pike with 3lb test curve deadbait rods and with 9wt fly rods and much prefer the fly rods.

Have you ever used a fly rod?

I gave my reason why using a fly rod is bad practise to catch carp, you know, and I know why. Yes I have used a fly rod but not to catch carp with, and would never do so. Just not cricket old chap :)

Tigger, I've done a lot of beach casting and with small species like whiting you were never quite sure if it was a fish or the 5oz weight :) Thats what I was referring to, not your 51/2 lb bass :rolleyes:

Yeh i know what you mean if they're only little un's you can't tell if it's your tackle, a bit of weed or what the hell it is. To be honest i've reeled little flatties and such like in not knowing that they're attached to my line.

Tigger.

I gave my reason why using a fly rod is bad practise to catch carp, you know, and I know why. Yes I have used a fly rod but not to catch carp with, and would never do so. Just not cricket old chap :)

Last summer I watched an angler catch five carp to 23lbs on a fly rod, using a cork ball as a floater. The carp were expertly played and safely landed with no undue delay by a man who obviously knew what he was doing, and to be honest it was a pleasure to watch the chap in action.

I'm entirely satisfied that the right size carp on the right type of fly-fishing setup is a viable method and one I certainly intend to try in the near future.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Has to be one of anglings biggest 'Urban Myths', this business of "playing a fish", or "giving it a chance" in order to test your "skill". If you're not using strong enough tackle then in most cases no amount of skill will save you from disaster if a fish makes for a snag, or pulls too hard.

If a fish makes such a move, only in a tiny amount of instances, if you are using inadequate tackle, will the difference between the fish making the snag or breaking you off or not, be avoidable by endeavouring to judge the maximum amount of resistance you can apply to that tackle without snapping the line. In the far greater majority of cases you will not have that opportunity. Your tackle will simply be insufficient to stop the fish. I just cannot see any need for leaving a fish trailing line, for no other reason than you wished to see if you could judge the amount of pressure to apply to stop it doing so.

There are other mechanical, and mental skills needed to be utilised in the hobby of fishing with which to test your "skill" if that's what 'lights your candle'. Casting for instance or making decisions on how and when to feed. Tactic and rig choice. Bait choice. Optimum swim, and prevailing weather conditions to make choices on. In fact angling is full of skill tests. I don't see why anyone should wish to knowingly jeopardise a fish's existence as a means of convincing themself that they have a 'skill'.

I use tackle that the fish will be unable to break in open water, and only give line to avoid dislodging the hook-hold. Of course nothing other than non fishing is 100% safe, but we can try our best to make it as safe as is possible for the fish.

Just my opinion of course...

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I'm sorry but I don't know why.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and if you don't want to catch a carp on a fly rod thats just fine.

Me, I'll just carry on with my bad practices :P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Just a quick one about the use of fly rods.Where do all these people get the idea from that you cant land fish quickly on them?

I have found an AFTM8 more than man enough to land pike over 20lbs in under 5mins,youve just got to bend the rod a bit! something despite their penchant for high test curves many modern anglers seem loath to do!

To put it even more into perspective my heavy duty salt water game fly rod is only an AFTM10 and Ive used that for Marlin as well as countless Sailfish and Dorado.These fish can really fight but none take realy long to land.

Remember the picture of the 101lb cat taken on a fly? that was taken on a standard reservoir outfit! (must admit that Ive never bothered again as the fight was excesively long at 35mins) but landed none the less.

I dont hold with this fishing a chum mixer on a fly outfit,cant see the point in all honesty, but on an artificial fly Ive caught many that have been landed quicker than on conventional carp gear.

Light line angling and even line class records used to be all the rage but Im glad to say not so much now.Undoubtedly big fish can be landed on light tackle by experienced anglers but think about all the ones left with hooks in them or trailing yards of line whilst others gain the required experience! And of course why?

Over light is just as unsporting in my veiw as over heavy,once again balanced is the word.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!