Play Or Skull Drag

Guest tigger

I use tackle that the fish will be unable to break in open water, and only give line to avoid dislodging the hook-hold.

I try to do the same and for the same reasons you've posted. However, unless you are targeting the largest fish in the particular water and are in a position to know how large that is, this isn't always possible.

To use a typical US situation - targeting crappie with live baits. This fish gets to a maximum size of about 5 lbs and most states have a record that is under that with 2-3 lb fish being considered large. They are also not fierce fighters and do have a very fragile mouth so limber rods, light lines, wide-gape/light-wire hooks are standard tackle with live minnows or small jigs being the usual terminal tackle.

Not uncommon to get a take from something considerably larger and with more of a fighting disposition. Very slim chance of landing your monster but certainly a time when all your skill at 'playing a fish' will be needed if a 10lb catfish or 15lb carp takes your light crappie rig.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's a fair point Newt,

but I think the circumstance you describe could be described as 'neccesary'? I could conceivably be snapped by a pike while Perch fishing, but I wouldn't have purposefully set out to 'test' my skill.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I am sorry but nothing that has been said has changed my opinion, balanced tackle is what good anglers strive for, a fly rod for carp fishing does not constitute balanced tackle. Nobody in their right mind would consider using a fly rod to tackle barbel, so why should carp be acceptable? I have done my fair share of surface carp fishing, there is not a moment that I would consider using such a rod. Why should I? a fly rod will not get the carp competing more, it would not improve my catch rate, so why? Just for kicks is that it ? and to hell with the welfare of the carp.

Frankly, I am surprised that other members have not voiced their disapproval also :(

Not sure what you mean by 'balanced'? Does that mean tackle that might be able to be broken by your intended quarry, but not as likely as tackle that is too light?

There's no such thing as having tackle that is 'Too heavy' IMO. And the term 'Sporting' in the context it's being used here, has no place in modern catch-and-release angling as far as I'm concerned.

If you are using tackle that can not be broken, all you have to attend to is the neccesary cushioning of the fish in order to not tear out the hooks. That's how it should be in my book. Especially, I might add, in regard to pike fishing, where lost, or snapped off tackle, is liable to pose a considerably greater threat to the fish.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

If you are using tackle that can not be broken, all you have to attend to is the neccesary cushioning of the fish in order to not tear out the hooks. That's how it should be in my book. Especially, I might add, in regard to pike fishing, where lost, or snapped off tackle, is liable to pose a considerably greater threat to the fish.

Then we agree, I just thought I had made my point re balanced tackle. A fly rod is simply not carp friendly.

Of course, a cushon effect from the rod is required to reduce the chances of the hook pulling..Balanced tackle of course applies also to the rod reel line and hook, and I will not patronise by going into detail

I accept that by using a fly rod on angler can achieve greater distance without the need for a controller and better presentation if say the hookbait is a dog biscuit or imitates such. I for one can achieve 30 yards or more with dunked piece of crust with my one and a quarter pound test curve rod,, and have no problems with the enjoyment of the 'fight' or the condition of the carp on return to the water. I have caught a large number of carp 'off the top'' so you will excuse me for considering I have an opinion that is supported with a good deal of experience.

I have also seen a number of carp caught with a fly rod, it was very much the the in thing at my local Gloucestershire venue a few years ago. The fish were thought to have been put under more stress then that was normal, The club banned the practice.

Nobody in their right mind would consider using a fly rod to tackle barbel, so why should carp be acceptable?

Frankly, I am surprised that other members have not voiced their disapproval also :(

Errr - maybe that's because no one agrees with you?

I have no clue about barbel since it's a species we don't have but I have fished for hard fighting river catfish to 30lbs and one day used 2½ lb, 1¾ lb rods and a 9wt fly rod, all with multiplier reels and put the fish in the net on each style of rod with the fish in good shape when released. This was in mid-summer so the water was fairly warm (although well oxygenated being just below a dam) and the fish were very active.

I have carp fished with several folks who were using fly rods and we all seemed to get the fish to the net in a reasonable time with no bad after-effects that I could notice.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nobody in their right mind would consider using a fly rod to tackle barbel,

I've been thinking about it, :wacko: could be just the job for early season fish in clear water.

I doubt if I'm the only one either.

Anyone who reads the mags and keeps abreast of at least some developements in angling will have read of barbel being caught on the fly in parts of Europe, why not here?

I would love to use a fly rod for barbel, do you think it would work. What sort of fly would be best?

I assume you mean that a fly rod would not be "capable" of landing a barbel, strange when all of the evidence would seem to contradict you. In Canada and Alaska king salmon well in excess of 60lb regularly caught, landed and released on fly tackle, but of course, they don't fight anything like as hard as a barbel :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

'Errr - maybe that's because no one agrees with you?'

That made me cackle Newt! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Well it would wouldn't it Slodger, tell you what, doesnt surprise me one bit :):P

I've been thinking about it, :wacko: could be just the job for early season fish in clear water.

I doubt if I'm the only one either.

Anyone who reads the mags and keeps abreast of at least some developements in angling will have read of barbel being caught on the fly in parts of Europe, why not here?

Go ahead!! look forward to seeing you and yours in the comics. I read that article toobut there again I did not consider it a development .