Total Novice

whistlekiller

I swore blind I'd never sea fish but having gone through coarse, lure and fly fishing, and being a tackle tart, I ended up buying a "bargain" Shimano Beastmaster 3050 Boat Rod on the basis that I'd inherited an old Mitchell multiplier reel and needed something to put it on! Sad isn't it? :o

Anyhow, can you use these type of rods for pier fishing and if so, can anybody tell me where the best places are on the North East Lincolnshire coast (Grimsby direction) and up as far as Scarborough?

I would say your going to struggle mate, All the old mitchells although not uncastable are tricky to say the least ,Twined with the rod you mention very tricky. all the same you cant say never ! give it a go fella you never Know your luck.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I would say your going to struggle mate, All the old mitchells althogh not uncasteble are tricky to say the least ,Twined with the rod you mention very tricky. all the same you cant say never ! give it a go fella you never Know your luck.

Cheers Five Bellies! I've only ever used level wind multipliers after pike before so I'm sure I'll have line all over the friggin' place with this one! What I really want to know is; is the rod long enough to get a reasonable distance away from the pier/sea wall. All my fishing has been hit and hope and I haven't done too bad but the sea stuff is quite daunting. If it all goes juggs up I'll resort to my fly rod and a bloody big fly! I've heard that codling will take a modified zonker. :unsure:

The action on a down tide boat rod and also the position of the reel seat will make casting a intersesting expieriance although not impossible I have seen pirks cast whilst wrecking some people swear by it .

Kenny c idea is favorate just drop down into deeper water off the end of the pier. if the tide run is brisk and in a favourable direction trot back with a lighter lead .

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

The rod is not really suitable for shore fishing, - it could be used for dropping down the side of a pier in hope of a conger though :)

Which Mitchell reel do you have ?

Kenny,

It's a Mitchell 622. It's gone a bit yellow! I also have a Masterline Toothy Critter 11' Lure Rod and a Masterline Six Shooter Baitcaster reel. I know these are strictly speaking coarse fishing items but I was wondering whether they'r be any use?