Exif Reader

Steve Randles

Digital cameras save JPEG (.jpg) files with EXIF data (Exchangeable Image File). Camera settings and scene information are recorded by the camera into the image file. Examples of stored information are shutter speed, date and time, focal length, exposure compensation, metering pattern and if a flash was used.Lots more info is supplied too.

Here is a link to a decent freeware EXIF reader

http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/minisoft/exifread/english/

This is a simple to use application that does not require installation, it can be run from a folder when needed. It can help you when you want to take a similar shot to one you already have, and you may have forgotten which settings you used (eg: Last New Years fireworks show) and it can help others by showing them your settings so that they can try to take a similar photograph, and so improving their understanding.

To use the above program open it and there is a big "open" button, which will allow you to browse your hard drive for your image, once this is open a whole array of info will be displayed.

I suggest that if your posting an image with this exif info that you click once on "main information" then shift click on "ISOSpeedRatings" ( total 8 lines now highlighted). Now either go to "information" on the title bar and click on "Copy Selected" or use a shortcut "ctrl + c" to copy it, then paste the info to wherever you want to use it or save it to.

Some image editing softwares do not save this exif information when you edit the original file, for example if you resize it. So if you come accross a file that cannot be read then go back to the original file that was downloaded to your computer from your camera.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Nice one Steve.

I can get EXIF from my editing software but can't copy n paste it for some reason and I'm buggered if I'm typing it all in by hand.

You link to the EXIF reader is the dogs dangleys cos I now can copy n paste all the boring stuff that hardly anyone understands. :D :D

Cheers.

Good information Steve.

Any Irfanview members might like to know they can easily get the EXIF data from that application.

- Click on Image, then on Information, (or just press the letter "I" with a picture open) and then on the EXIF tab where there is an option to send the data to your clipboard in case you want to paste it somewhere.

Example from one of mine and telling me stuff I never would have known otherwise

File: - E:\pictures\red river\DSCF0001.JPG

Make - FUJIFILM

Model - FinePix2800ZOOM

Orientation - Top left

XResolution - 72

YResolution - 72

ResolutionUnit - Inch

Software - Digital Camera FinePix2800ZOOM Ver7.00

DateTime - 2001:01:03 00:54:51

YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited

Copyright -

ExifOffset - 254

FNumber - 4.80

ExposureProgram - Normal program

ISOSpeedRatings - 100

ExifVersion - 0210

DateTimeOriginal - 2001:01:03 00:54:51

DateTimeDigitized - 2001:01:03 00:54:51

ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr

CompressedBitsPerPixel - 2.00 (bits/pixel)

ShutterSpeedValue - 1/158 seconds

ApertureValue - F 4.76

BrightnessValue - 6.93

ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

MaxApertureValue - F 2.83

MeteringMode - Multi-segment

Flash - Not fired

FocalLength - 6.00 mm

FlashPixVersion - 0100

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 1280

ExifImageHeight - 960

InteroperabilityOffset - 954

FocalPlaneXResolution - 2442

FocalPlaneYResolution - 2442

FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Centimeter

SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor

FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera

SceneType - A directly photographed image

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Version - 30333130

Quality - NORMAL

Sharpness - Normal

White Balance - Auto

Color saturation - Normal

Flash Mode - Auto

Flash Strength - 0.00

Macro - Off

Focus mode - Auto

Slow Sync. - Off

Picture Mode - Auto

Unknown - 1

Sequence mode - Off

Unknown - 0

Blur warning - No

Focus warning - No (Focus OK)

AE warning - No (AE good)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Ferret1959
File: - E:\pictures\red river\DSCF0001.JPG

Make - FUJIFILM

Model - FinePix2800ZOOM

Orientation - Top left

XResolution - 72

YResolution - 72

ResolutionUnit - Inch

Software - Digital Camera FinePix2800ZOOM Ver7.00

DateTime - 2001:01:03 00:54:51

YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited

Copyright -

ExifOffset - 254

FNumber - 4.80

ExposureProgram - Normal program

ISOSpeedRatings - 100

ExifVersion - 0210

DateTimeOriginal - 2001:01:03 00:54:51

DateTimeDigitized - 2001:01:03 00:54:51

ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr

CompressedBitsPerPixel - 2.00 (bits/pixel)

ShutterSpeedValue - 1/158 seconds

ApertureValue - F 4.76

BrightnessValue - 6.93

ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

Flash - Not fired

FocalLength - 6.00 mm

FlashPixVersion - 0100

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 1280

ExifImageHeight - 960

FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Centimeter

SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor

FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera

SceneType - A directly photographed image

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Version - 30333130

Quality - NORMAL

Sharpness - Normal

White Balance - Auto

Color saturation - Normal

Flash Mode - Auto

Flash Strength - 0.00

Macro - Off

Focus mode - Auto

Slow Sync. - Off

Picture Mode - Auto

Unknown - 1

Sequence mode - Off

Unknown - 0

Blur warning - No

Focus warning - No (Focus OK)

AE warning - No (AE good)

Like I said, borin stuff no one understands. :) :) :D

I surely don't understand lots of it but it seems to get our new moderator all excited so why not? :D

Truthfully - I'd enjoy having some expert person explain the non-obvious information. You know, this sort of stuff:

ApertureValue - F 4.76

BrightnessValue - 6.93

ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

Flash - Not fired

FocalLength - 6.00 mm

FlashPixVersion - 0100

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 1280

ExifImageHeight - 960

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

ApertureValue - F 4.76 ~ The size of the hole that the shutter is open, the bigger the F# the the smaller the hole: therefore the smaller the hole the less light thats allowed to hit the film or in Digitals..the sensor.

BrightnessValue - 6.93

ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

MaxApertureValue - F 2.83 ~ The widest the aperture will open, as big as it will go with the camera mode or settings used.

MeteringMode - Multi-segment ~ How the sensor and camera determines the exposure in a given situation

Flash - Not fired ~ Self explanatory

FocalLength - 6.00 mm ~ This one is difficult to explain and understand but basically a normal 35mm camera @ 50mm focal length is considered as near normal human eyesight as it gets, measures either side of this increase or decrease this view and apply to the scene in focus at the sensor, there is also something called hyperfocal distance which is the area before and after this measure which remains in reasonable focus (this is eye trickery as its reasonable focus, ie not precise) and is also governed by depth of field that is achieved with control of shutter speed and aperture size. As I said, a very bewildering subject to the unknowing, and one that is still confusing to me me in many aspects, although I do have a grasp on it.

FlashPixVersion - 0100

ColorSpace - sRGB ~ A standard colour space or palette acceptable for the web.

ExifImageWidth - 1280 ~ Image dimension in pixels

ExifImageHeight - 960 ~ Image dimension in pixels

I've written (hopefully) a concise explanation of those that I know, the ones with a blank next to them I either dont know or may be particular to a given camera. Every camera will give different exif info, and have different modes and functions so that could explain some of them.

The main reason I like exif info to be posted is so that others can learn the settings required to take a given shot. Its a guide, a start point if you like on how to set your camera up to get near someones earlier attempt as all situations will be different..ie light values.

I posted this link about exif reader mainly because its free, you can copy the details (many exif readers cant do this) and also because the first eight lines cover just about everything that most of us will ever need ie make of camera, date and basic settings, the last three lines being the most important of all. Here is an example using the exif reader of one of my shots, neat and compact and informative to others that have manual options on their cameras.

Main Information

Make : Canon

Model : Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL

DateTime : 2004:10:24 00:22:20

Sub Information

ExposureTime : 1/60Sec

FNumber : F4.5

ISOSpeedRatings : 100

I hope this fills some blanks for you and I welcome being corrected or extra info being added.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

ISO, what's that mean please?

International Organisation for Standardisation, (is what it actually means)

The ISO rating replaces the ASA film speed rating.

ISO 50 is slow film(or digi equivalent), ISO 400 is fast film, with fast film you need less light or can use a quicker shutter speed but the faster the film the more grainy the pic gets.

Film speeds

For a full techy explanation of ISO/ASA speeds go here

Edited by ayjay

Just a few points of clarification from memory (which at my age may be faulty!).

A standard focal length lens is defined as one with a focal length equal to the square root of the length of the diagonal of an unenlarged picture. This gives an angle of view of 45 degrees. Thus on a 35mm film camera (that has a film size of 36mm x 24mm) it'll be approx. 43mm.

For those who want to check the calculation and who remember their Pythagoras (yes, it was useful after all!) the calculation is the square root of (36 squared + 24 squared).

Many 35mm SLRs had focal lengths slightly longer than this for cost reasons with 50mm being very popular, whilst compact 35mm cameras commonly had them rather shorter, around 38mm.

Digital cameras have much shorter focal length lenses, that vary according to the sensor used and therefore from camera to camera. However it's common practice to give the 35mm film camera equivalent as this is more easily understood.

Turning to the hyperfocal distance this isn't what distances are in acceptable focus (that's depth of field). Rather if you focus on the hyperfocal distance everything from half this distance to infinity will be in focus. Very handy for landscape photographers. Also for fast, candid shots.

In these days of autofocus cameras hyperfocal distances are used by very few photographers, especially amateurs.

Note that due to the very short focal lengths of digital cameras (especially cheap ones with poor sensors), there's more depth of field than with most 35mm cameras. The practical effect is more of a picture is likely to be focus, but conversely it's more difficult to put the background out of focus to make a portrait appear sharper.

I hope that helps. However those who can take superb photos like Steve Randles don't need help, they just have natural ability - unlike me!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

xnview goes into overdrive

D:\photos\camping05\DSCF0248.JPG

[Camera]

Camera Manufacturer : FUJIFILM

Camera Model : FinePix E550

Orientation : top-left (1)

X Resolution : 72

Y Resolution : 72

Resolution unit : Inch

Software : Digital Camera FinePix E550 Ver1.00

Date modified : 2005:04:02 09:42:29

YCbCr Positioning : co-sited (2)

Copyright : DGRANGER

Exif offset : 262

[image]

Exposure time : 10/14000

F-Number : F8.0

Exposure program : Normal (2)

ISO speed ratings : 400

EXIF version : 02.20

Date taken : 2005:04:02 09:42:29

Date digitized : 2005:04:02 09:42:29

Components configuration : YCbCr

Compressed bits per pixel : 32/10

Shutter speed : 1/1351

Aperture : F8.0

Brightness : 1026/100

Exposure bias value : 0/100

Max aperture : F2.8

Metering mode : Multi-segment (5)

Light source : Unknown (0)

Flash : No flash

Focal length [mm] : 28.8000

FlashPix Version : 01.00

Colour space : sRGB

Image width : 4048

Image length : 3040

Interoperability offset : 1126

Focal plane X-Resolution : 7443

Focal plane Y-Resolution : 7443

Focal plane res. unit : cm (3)

Sensing method : One-chip color area sensor (2)

File source : DSC

Scene type : A directly photographed image

Custom rendered : Custom process (1)

Exposure mode : Auto (0)

White balance : Auto (0)

Scene capture type : Standard (0)

Sharpness : Normal (0)

Subject distance (m) : Unknown (0)

[iOP]

IOP index : R98

IOP version : 0100

[Makernotes]

Maker Note Version : 0130

Quality Setting : FINE

Sharpness : Normal

White balance : Auto

Chroma Saturation : Normal

Flash mode : Off

Flash Strength : 0/100

Macro Mode : Off

Focus Mode : Auto

Slow Synchro Mode : Off

Picture Mode : Auto

Continuous/Bracketing Mode : Off

Blur Status : None

Focus Status : OK

Exposure Status : OK

[Thumbnail]

Compression : 6

Orientation : top-left (1)

X Resolution : 72

Y Resolution : 72

Resolution unit : Inch

Thumbnail offset : 1274

Thumbnail length : 9508

YCbCr Positioning : co-sited (2)

strangly the latest fuji software doesent let you copyright the image only add a comment ,even worse you have to batch the pictures to add the comment ,my old fuji 4800z used to add the copyright onboard ,somethings dont get better with newer models :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson