Model : FinePix E550

Unknown : 0100

JPEG Offset : 148

JPEG Size : 621983

Param Offset : 622136

Param Size : 2184

RAW Offset : 624320

RAW Size : 12615680

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ISO ~ International Standard Organisation is a rating organisation that now extends beyond film rating.

Also known as ASA (american standards Association?) and something else in German..DIN I think..

Its a rating of film as far as photographers are concerned and as a rough guide 100 is for bright days, 200 for an average UK day, 400, 800 and higher for decreasing levels of light.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• 1 month later...

Just a little bit more..

I'm now using "Panda IExif v2" from Opanda, its freeware and available here http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html.

Once installed you can right click on a photograph either locally (on your machine) or when your online and get the information about the photo such as camera model, shutter speed aperture and ISO values. This is the programme I use when people dont post their exif info with their picture and I edit the post and add it.

This information is valuable to help others understand just how a picture was taken and how they might achieve similar results and so further their knowledge and understanding of photography.

In the exif info there is typically a lot of information, a fair proportion of it relates to how the image is drawn, recorded and displayed. Here is the information that it would be nice if you could post with your photos.

Install Panda iexif2 and when viewing the photo you want the exif info for, right click it and click "View EXIF/GPS/IPTC/ with IEXIF" this will open up like this

exif.gif

you see I've highlighted some info, "left click" the top piece of info then "shift left click" the bottom line and it will be highlighted as above. Now right click this highlighted text and click copy. Now its just a case of right clicking in your post and selecting "paste", you'll get this.

Make = Canon

Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL

Orientation = top/left

Software = Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows

Date Time = 2005-10-15 19:47:25

[Camera]

Exposure Time = 1/125"

F Number = F10

ISO Speed Ratings = 100

Then I just edit out the time, orientation, the name of the software used to resize the photo and I'm left with this.

Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL

Exposure Time = 1/125"

F Number = F10

ISO Speed Ratings = 100

Now everyone knows what camera settings you used to take the picture.. :sun:

Sometimes you will get the message "No exif information" if this is happeneing to you on your own picture then come back to me with the name of the software ou use to edit your photo's and I'll find out how you can keep the exif info intact in your photos.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Once installed you can right click on a photograph either locally (on your machine) or when your online and get the information about the photo such as camera model, shutter speed aperture and ISO values. This is the programme I use when people dont post their exif info with their picture and I edit the post and add it.

Hi Steve.

Using this Opanda IExif reader on photos on my computer works fine, but how do you get it to work for an online image. When I right click an online image I just get this: -

exif_opanda1.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

Open iexif and click "Advanced mode", then "Options", then click on "Enabled internet explorer and system shell plugin" Should work now.. :clap2:

Focal Planet

Guest franticfisherman2

I have just loaded some more software that I got with my camera (DiMAGE Viewer) and I can now read the exif data on the original photo. However, when the file is altered by producing a web ready picture or by cropping (using Microsoft "Photo-it"), this software can no longer read the exif data. It must still be there because Steve has posted it up next to one of my photos. I suppose that the software mentioned above has been used.

Creating a "web ready" picture will strip the exif info from your photograph, as its text and does contain a few kb's of info. This is part of the process that many photo editors use to reduce filesize. In photoshop I use the save as command preferring to keep the exif info intact as a trade of for a slight quality reduction (not a noticeable difference at 700 pixels max size).

Try to use save as and see if you have options to retain exif or iptc info (or both) and then look for an option to reduce picture quality to keep your file size to a minimum. All of my web shots are maximum 700 pixels longest edge and all are under 150kb which is quite acceptable these days.

I've just run a search on Microsoft Picture-it and cant find a reference anywhere..thats just weird..

Focal Planet