New Digital Camera Help

Paul_D

That'll be it Steve. I'll give you a shout once/if I get any joy with Pixmania.

Thanks again for help from all.

Paul

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just on my way out for an hour or so, I have your manual on my hard drive I'll pit it on some webspace for you to download when I get back. Hopefully you'll be able to download it. If not, we'll sort something else out.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

On the SLR style Digital Camera, would most people recommend the Eos assuming that the Nikons are totally out of my budget (i have assumed that Nikon make the best...I'm happy to be wrong)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

You can pick up the Nikon D70s and D50 for around the sam price as the lowest priced Canon EOS setup. Its a huge argument in photography ... who is best, Canon or Nikon. Since the competition is so great, the only winners can be the photographers as the cameras get better and better, both setups produce great results ... and you wont go wrong no matter what road you go down.

I'd say right now for the money the Canon 350D is a super buy ... a great camera that really packs at punch for the price compared to similar rivals.

Thats my 2 pence worth.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Guest Finepix

The only problem with the SLR (if you are into the kind of photography that I am) are the extra's required;

Zoom Lens

Macro Lens

Wide angle Lens

External Flash

Whatever you decide to buy, it isn't going to be cheap.

I will be buying the 350D at the beginning of the New Year, and even a basic package with Kit Lens and the Macro 100mm is going to cost around £800 (depending on deals available), but of course I want a decent zoom straight away as well (the one thing you shouldn't scrimp on) which can be anything up to £1000.

Hmm, I hope my piggy bank is full

:P

Edited by Finepix

I was interested in the comments re the sigma lenses.

For a film camera I've happily used sigma's (picking a number up cheap (with staff discount on top) when boots stopped doing slrs really helped).

Is there a huge benefit in forking out the significant extra sums for the canon lense over a lens manufacturers own product??

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Im also toying with the idea of getting a decent Macro Lens ... the Canon 100mm Macro F2.8 at around £388 is tempting ... the shots I have seen with this lens are amazing! There are also Sigma Macro's with more reach that deliver great shots for silimar prices .... then you can look at the Canon 180mm Macro comes in at £1019 ........ no way, not for me !!!

When you go down the SLR path ... the costs do start to tally up, much more than I would have thought when I got my first SLR, there are some great lenses out there. A good carry round lens that has a usefull range is handy to have, wide at one end - telephoto at other, I have the Canon 28-135mm IS for that ... there is also the highly rated Canon 17-85mm, and the new Canon 24-105mm F4 L (a superb lens in theory, but there are serious glare issues with it that Canon acknowledge). You get similar lenses from Sigma and Tamron.

Phil - I also agree Sigma lenses are great ... I know a number of people, and pros whom use them all the time. As I mentioned in another thread I now use a Sigma 20mm for my wide shots ... and I also have the flagship Canon wide the 17-40mm, the Canon is very rarely used since I got the Sigma, I much prefer the Sigma 20mm which at F1.8mm is usefull for loads of scenarios. In the 70-200 range of telephotos ... though you can get a F2.8 Sigma for half the price you pay for the same speed for a Canon 2.8, I hear the Canon really outshines the Sigma here. I also have a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro II Super, for the moneyt its a super lens up to around 200mm, after that Im not to happy with it .... it does have a pretty good Macro feature on it for the money though, so I still keep hold of it.

If I was to give one tip when buying an SLR set up is get a decent camera bag with space straight away ... one that will take a selection of lenses and bits and bobs ... lots of people buy a bag that is to small first (I did ... 2 of them were very soon dust collectors). Now, I have the LowePro CompuTrekker AW for when Im travelling, out on my bike, or walking the hills ... its a backpack that take loads upon loads of stuff - plus a laptop, as well as fitting for a tripod, and more. For more general stuff I got a LowePro Nova 5 AW ... its a fantasic bag, opening it up just now I have in it (Canon 20D+Batter Grip with Sigma 20mm attached, Canon 70-200mm F4 L, Canon 550ex Flashgun, Canon 28-135mm IS, Canon 50mm F1.8, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 300D, Stoffen Omni Bounce, and there is still space for more .... in side pocket loads up bits and bobs, including a Cokin system for 58mm, 72mmm, and 82mm thread lenses .... oh, and a 20 pack of Duracells for flashgun.)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Cheers.

You've actually mentioned another interesting point, the cokin system you mention was my prefered form of filters @the guy at the shop@ told me that's all old hat and you make the changes on your PC..........I loved the cokin system and always had a blue or polorising filter on a lens to protect it.

Do most folks still use filters or am I showing that I truly am the dinosaur you thought I was.

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest Finepix
Cheers.

You've actually mentioned another interesting point, the cokin system you mention was my prefered form of filters @the guy at the shop@ told me that's all old hat and you make the changes on your PC..........I loved the cokin system and always had a blue or polorising filter on a lens to protect it.

Do most folks still use filters or am I showing that I truly am the dinosaur you thought I was.

I only use a polarising filter. I keep meaning to read up on other filters, and whether or not they are necessary in the age of photoshop etc, but never seem to get round to it!